I was curious about the fuss over Fruit...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: I was curious about the fuss over Fruit...

Post by hgm »

I am no lawyer, but I doubt if it is necessary to have a copyright notice in every file. When I buy a book, I also usually do not se a copyright notice on every page...
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

pawnslinger wrote:Also, in all the files I am working on, I am adding this notice at the very top of the file:

/********************************************************************************************************************
Fruit 2.1 UCI by Fabien Letouzey (c) 2005, licensed under the GPL v.2 of the Free Software Foundation
MyFruit 1.0 by Edwin Meiners (c) 2010, licensed under the GPL v.2 of the Free Software Foundation
********************************************************************************************************************/
I think this will clearly spell the status of the code.
Do you have a link to MyFruit 1.0 ? :)
pawnslinger

Post by pawnslinger »

hgm wrote:I am no lawyer, but I doubt if it is necessary to have a copyright notice in every file. When I buy a book, I also usually do not se a copyright notice on every page...
It is my habit of many years. When I was coding professionally, my lawyer advised me EVERY file needed a notice, each source code file and the executable and the documentation. So I just got in the habit of cut-n-paste. It is like boiler plate.

But you are most likely correct. In fact, from the recent research I have done, current law does not require any copyright notices at ALL. If you don't have explicit license, it automatically is granted to the author.
pawnslinger

Post by pawnslinger »

Damir wrote:
pawnslinger wrote:Also, in all the files I am working on, I am adding this notice at the very top of the file:

/********************************************************************************************************************
Fruit 2.1 UCI by Fabien Letouzey (c) 2005, licensed under the GPL v.2 of the Free Software Foundation
MyFruit 1.0 by Edwin Meiners (c) 2010, licensed under the GPL v.2 of the Free Software Foundation
********************************************************************************************************************/
I think this will clearly spell the status of the code.
Do you have a link to MyFruit 1.0 ? :)
A work in-progress. Since I am retired, I am just takihg my time and having fun. My immediate goal is to add multi-threading. I looked at the Toga source code to see how they did it, and I was not overly impressed. They used MS threading, guess they use VC. I want to use POSIX threads. And I am much too picky about my code, so I am trying to learn Fruit from the inside out. I am doing this line by line. Trying to understand all the code.

So far I am thru with the trans.cpp file. I am working on material.cpp right now. As well as Fabien did in writing Fruit, material.cpp is getting almost completely rewritten. Some of the "if" statements run on and on for pages. The compiler doesn't complain, but I find it very hard to understand it. So I am redoing it all. Keeping the same underlying idea that Fabien had intact, but redoing the code. Not as structured, to be sure... I will be using "goto" statements to unravel the "if" statements. And I am eliminating all redundant code. Should be easier to understand and run faster when I am done.

Anyway, it all takes time. I won't release anything until I have it enough in hand to get the threading working. Once the threads are working, then I will release a beta copy. I am not sure, but it will be awhile.
NaltaP312
Full name: Marc Paule

Post by NaltaP312 »

I invite you to visit the Toga forum
http://www.computerchess.info/tdbb/phpBB3/index.php

You will found some Toga version and so other program MP.