The List is Growing

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ant_Gugdin

Re: The List is Growing

Post by Ant_Gugdin »

I wonder if Fabien takes any pride in all this. The rating list is dominated by the bastard children of his engine, and their bastard children and grandchildren. :)
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

JWorcester wrote:With all due respect Fern, I've been lurking here since the days of Ruffian. I had an old account that was deleted for inactivity. Graham was the sole reason I needed a new account so I could read the hidden posts in the Engine Origins subsection. So I think I'm being fair when I state what I said. Simply put the majority of lurkers I suspect have been put off by his actions in the past and there is still no contrition on his part which speaks of a certain amount of arrogance.

Feel free to delete this but he made his bed and in it he lies given the lack of any reconciliatory tone on his part.
i am not sure what you're talking about (though i'd rather not have this turn into a thread about graham, i have never understood the heat he takes here). i know my 'issue' with him was some time ago when it was rumored that all talk of ippolit et al would be banned from talkchess (this led to jeremy forming open-chess iirc). however that didn't happen & in fact i read recently that even the engine origins subforum was not graham's idea but an outside one agreed upon by the moderators at the time.

so what it comes down to is you have a guy who has a different opinion than you (or me, at least in regards to whether houdini should be tested, & probably many other things about both houdini & ippolit). i don't think he's in anyone's pocket, just a passionate CC fan, & while i only casually follow the programming arguments (it's become so convuluted i will probably give it up altogether; based on what i've read i do believe pretty firmly that neither vas nor robert did anything ethically wrong in creating their programs, my ethics aren't everyone's), there doesn't seem to be anything concrete after all this time about what's what -- i.e., why 'should' he admit he's wrong if there is no real proof?
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

:wink:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Fabien is one of the super stars in chess programming! One of the programmer "we" have which are able to develops complete new ideas.

From this point of view I am sure Fabien can create in a "short time" a new number 1 if he have interest and time for it.

A big problem for others to find out new programmings. Much others have to copy well known ideas or to mixed and experiments with well known ideas.
fern

Post by fern »

I am not free to delete. I am not tyran. I follow the rules. As much your answer has been polite, I have no reasons to do nothing. It is just we do not need to make of discussions a ground to personal attacks. But even this last event has not produced a deletion, as you can see. Take my post as a friendly advice of a poster and nothing else.
Fern
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

AdminX wrote:As word spreads that Houdini is now allowed. I wonder can it be true ...
No surprise at all. If I had a chess shop I'd try to sell that thing. For most people only playing strength counts. They don't care at all about the heated debates here on the last months/years.

Create something 10 Elo stronger and they pay 50 bucks for it. How you make it (write it from scratch, steal the code from others, cook it from cow shit or sell your soul to the devil for it) doesn't matter at all.
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Eelco de Groot wrote:Contrition for what? Reconcilliation for what? I think Graham has been consistent and always explained with great patience the policy of the CCRL clearly, and his thanks are a lot of insults from people who are "lurking" here or there. Thank you very much. I hope the CCRL keeps doing what it has done so far and that is providing a great service to our computerchess community.

Eelco

Graham was explaining very convincing and likes to put pictures of feces to others ppl work, what a saint! And still people are "lurking" here and there, and insult him, what has the world come to ???
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Volker Pittlik wrote:
AdminX wrote:As word spreads that Houdini is now allowed. I wonder can it be true ...
No surprise at all. If I had a chess shop I'd try to sell that thing. For most people only playing strength counts. They don't care at all about the heated debates here on the last months/years.

Create something 10 Elo stronger and they pay 50 bucks for it. How you make it (write it from scratch, steal the code from others, cook it from cow shit or sell your soul to the devil for it) doesn't matter at all.
Also, its easy to disregard an amateur, but when GM's are wanting to use and play games against it, it must be pretty hard for them to say No.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by PauloSoare »

Ted, now I know the "source". But I never read that Harvey alowed Houdini at Playchess. No problem if all can use Houdini.
PauloSoare

Post by PauloSoare »

De Vos W wrote:
Eelco de Groot wrote:Contrition for what? Reconcilliation for what? I think Graham has been consistent and always explained with great patience the policy of the CCRL clearly, and his thanks are a lot of insults from people who are "lurking" here or there. Thank you very much. I hope the CCRL keeps doing what it has done so far and that is providing a great service to our computerchess community.

Eelco

Graham was explaining very convincing and likes to put pictures of feces to others ppl work, what a saint! And still people are "lurking" here and there, and insult him, what has the world come to ???
Very easy for me to say this: you're the scum of computer chess.
Your posts led me to this conclusion.
Eelco is a serious person, just like Graham also.