Nice observation!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

yanquis1972

Re: Nice observation!

Post by yanquis1972 »

Don wrote:
pawnslinger wrote:I agree with you. In fact, I think the whole idea of the GPL needs defending. I do not know if Vas can be legally pursued, but it seems clear that he should be pursued... otherwise the GPL is not really enforceable.
I agree with you too and I do not condone what I think Vas has done.

But my sarcasm is based on the observation that people are not being intellectually honest with themselves. If you really condemn this sort of behavior, it should be applied consistently. However, many of the ones calling out for the blood of Vas do not seem to have a problem in general with copying and cloning and are in fact the greatest advocates of it. Do you think these same people really and truly care about the legalities of the license?

Some people do, and I am one of them. I don't think ANY of this is right and I'm not picking and choosing which ones I want to forgive and which ones I want to crucify.
my apologies for not reading the rest of the thread don. we appear to hold more or less opposite ideas (i still don't see why i should care about vas or houdart doing what they allegedly did, but i do apply it both ways as well).

however, please do not insinuate ippolit USERS are morally inferior to you (if that is what you were doing). you're dizzyingly, sickeningly high on a horse up there if that is in fact what yr saying.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Are people that handle stolen goods morally inferior to me? Is someone that goes downtown to buy a bicycle for $25 from a junky morally inferior to me?

I would say "yes". The junky would disagree, of course... :wink:
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

Don wrote:
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:Yeah, why not rob some people in the streets too? All this silly debate as to legality...
It reminds me of the monty python movie "search for the holy grail" where after a skirmish where people were killed, the king of the swamp castle said:
Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who.
It's no secret that many people lack morality, but it's getting to the point now where people like to flaunt their immorality, they are actually proud of it.

"'It's no secret that many people lack morality, but it's getting to the point now where people like to flaunt their immorality, they are actually proud of it." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sir,
Self-interest, or rather self-love, or egoism, has been more plausibly substituted as the basis of morality.

Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:
Morality is the best of all devices for leading mankind by the nose”
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
pawnslinger

Post by pawnslinger »

Don wrote:
pawnslinger wrote:I agree with you. In fact, I think the whole idea of the GPL needs defending. I do not know if Vas can be legally pursued, but it seems clear that he should be pursued... otherwise the GPL is not really enforceable.
I agree with you too and I do not condone what I think Vas has done.

But my sarcasm is based on the observation that people are not being intellectually honest with themselves. If you really condemn this sort of behavior, it should be applied consistently. However, many of the ones calling out for the blood of Vas do not seem to have a problem in general with copying and cloning and are in fact the greatest advocates of it. Do you think these same people really and truly care about the legalities of the license?

Some people do, and I am one of them. I don't think ANY of this is right and I'm not picking and choosing which ones I want to forgive and which ones I want to crucify.
Let us establish a factoid. There is nothing wrong with copying and cloning!

The GPL is specifically written to AUTHORIZE copying and cloning. I believe the authors of the GPL believe whole heartedly in copying and cloning.

But it must be done under the provisions of the license. Because while copying and cloning are fine. Theft is NOT.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

That is 100% correct, but also misses the point.

It is also encouraged to buy motorcycles. Their manufacturers actually spent millions in advertizing to encourage us to do so. But that does not imply it is OK to use one when competing in the Olympics marathon. Not even if you law-abidingly payed for that motorcycle.