Allow steroids

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

slobo

Re: Allow steroids

Post by slobo »

hgm wrote:
benstoker wrote:Second Place is just another way to say First Loser.
You don't seem to get it. The strongest program won't win at all in your tournament style. The program that enters most cheating copies will. In the current engine landscape Houdini would not stand a chance. 'Bodini' will finish some 200 points above it.

Who will become 'TopDog' might as well be decided by throwing dice. Is that what you want? The whole idea is a total bust.
In my rating list, with more than 30 Ivanhoes and more than 10 FB ou Fires, Houdini 1.5 and Houdini 1.5a are on the top, with the same elo points number.

The facts talk against your logic, once more.
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

slobo wrote:This "nitpicking", as you call it, does not distract from the issue, because now we see that your statement that "alpha-beta pruning is a property of the game rules", is not true.
'We' see no such thing, and if you thing, and if you thinkyou see it,itmerely means you are delusional. All others here (programmers, that is!) disagree with you.

It is of course your right to advertize your delusional ideas here, if you feel that it is important that it becoesknown in wider circles, but you should not be disappointed if I will no longer comment on them.
slobo

Post by slobo »

hgm wrote:
slobo wrote:This "nitpicking", as you call it, does not distract from the issue, because now we see that your statement that "alpha-beta pruning is a property of the game rules", is not true.
'We' see no such thing, and if you thing, and if you thinkyou see it,itmerely means you are delusional. All others here (programmers, that is!) disagree with you.

It is of course your right to advertize your delusional ideas here, if you feel that it is important that it becoesknown in wider circles, but you should not be disappointed if I will no longer comment on them.
Let me announce the human thinking artifice used by you in your comment:

1. You have avoided facts from my post.
2. you have commented only my introductory statement.
3. When you have found yourself without arguments, you´ve labeled your interlocutor and cut the discussion.

Perhaps you could create an algorithm that simulates that kind of human behavior?
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
hgm

Post by hgm »

slobo wrote:2. you have commented only my introductory statement.
Of course. That is where I stopped reading. Which part of "I will no longer comment" did you not understand?
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

slobo wrote:
hgm wrote:

Let me announce the human thinking artifice used by you in your comment:

1. You have avoided facts from my post.
2. you have commented only my introductory statement.
3. When you have found yourself without arguments, you´ve labeled your interlocutor and cut the discussion.
You just called me clown two posts above, for no apparent reason, and you complain that another poster labels you?

Miguel

Perhaps you could create an algorithm that simulates that kind of human behavior?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Nearly blitz-tourney time!
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

hgm wrote:
benstoker wrote:Second Place is just another way to say First Loser.
You don't seem to get it. The strongest program won't win at all in your tournament style. The program that enters most cheating copies will. In the current engine landscape Houdini would not stand a chance. 'Bodini' will finish some 200 points above it.

Who will become 'TopDog' might as well be decided by throwing dice. Is that what you want? The whole idea is a total bust.
Ok, if you want to steer the thread this way and re-define Top Dog that way, then I win. I'll enter in 1 million clones designed to lose to my Super Duper Cheat Machine (which runs on a Casio calculator watch from 1989) and not only that, buy off all the other competitors and tourney officials with expensive bribes.

Part of what you say seems to be that there MUST be at least SOME kind of filter for a tournament, otherwise, you get the above absurdities. I agree.

The question is what is that filter.

The argument is that clones must be filtered out even if the clone is stonger, because of some kind of "originality" criteria. I ask why would you filter out the STRONGEST engine? You say because it isn't "original". I ask again, what is "original" in chess engines today? What is NOT merely a tweak or optimization of public domain routines? Whatever Ippo* had that made it stronger than R3, was NOT some grand paradigm shifting new algorithm, right? You all looked at the code and should know by now. Ippo* just implemented already known and used routines in a more efficient or optimized manner, right? Ditto for Fruit to Rybka.

Now, the winner of the Free-For-All-No-Holds-Barred-Anything-Goes-Including-Murder-And-Bribery-And-Hostage-Taking World Chess Engine Tournament convening at the Bulldog in Amsterdam would never be a Top Dog.

Top Dog beats all other programs mano a mano. Simple as that.

The funhouse scenario described above is not even chess. It's some other game for thugs and miscreants.

The point I attempt to make is legalistic, or philosophical maybe.

There is so much focus on this idea of "originality" in this Attack of the Clones debate. I ask you programmers to identify one single chess engine algorithm that is PATENTABLE. Are bitboards patentable by someone? SEE? Does anybody even own any kind of patent on a chess engine? Identify it please. Are any of the following routines owned by anyone and patentable, or are they each and every one of them public domain:
  • 8*8 Board
    Mailbox
    0x88
    15*12 Board
    16*12 Board
    Pawn Fills
    Pawn Spans
    Attack Spans
    Dumb7Fill
    Kogge-Stone Algorithm
    Fill by Subtraction
    ABDADA - Alpha-Bêta Distribué avec Droit d'Anesse
    All-Nodes
    Biboards
    BitScan
    Butterfly Boards
    Cut-Nodes
    Depth-First
    DTS - Dynamic Tree Splitting
    EBF - Effective Branching Factor
    ETC - Enhanced Transposition Cutoff
    Exact Score
    Fail-Hard
    Fail-High
    Fail-High Nodes = Cut-Nodes
    Fail-Low
    Fail-Low Nodes = All-Nodes
    Fail-Soft
    FHR - Fail-High Reductions
    Frontier Node
    Futility pruning
    History Heuristic
    IBV - Integrated Bounds and Values
    ID - Iterative Deepening
    IID - Internal Iterative Deepening
    Killer Move - Killer Heuristic
    LMR - Late Move Reductions
    LS1B - Least Significant One Bit
    Minimax
    MS1B - Most Significant One Bit
    MVV-LVA - Most Valuable Victim - Least Valuable Aggressor
    Negamax
    NegaScout
    Nibble
    NMH - Null Move Heuristic
    NMO - Null Move Observation
    Null Window
    Passed Pawn
    Pre Frontier Node
    Pruning
    PV - Principal variation
    PV-Nodes
    PVS - Principal Variation Search
    PVS - Principal Variation Splitting
    QS - Quiescence Search
    R - Depth Reduction R
    Ranks
    Razoring
    Scout - Scout-Algorithm
    SE - Singular Extensions
    SEE - Static Exchange Evaluation
    Side to move
    SIMD - Single Instruction Multiple Data
    Skewer
    SSE - Streaming SIMD Extensions
    SSS = State Space Search like SSS* and Dual*
    Stop square
    SWAR - SIMD Within A Register
    TD - Temporal Difference Learning
    TT - Transposition Table
    X-ray
    YBW - Young Brothers Wait
    Zobrist Hashing
Again, after all is said and done, forever and anon, from here to eternity, Top Dog will always be that one special engine that has that one itsy bitsy piece of originality that makes it beat all other engines.

Houdini is the Top Dog today. It doesn't matter one iota that it is a wholesale rip of ivanhoe. Of necessity, there's something ORIGINAL added to Houdini, because there ain't no other program as good as it is.

In fact, all programs OTHER than Houdini are but copies and clones of the same worn out chess engine algorithms. It is only Houdini that has achieved something TRULY ORIGINAL and PROVEN it by being STRONGER THAN ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
Don

Post by Don »

benstoker wrote: Again, after all is said and done, forever and anon, from here to eternity, Top Dog will always be that one special engine that has that one itsy bitsy piece of originality that makes it beat all other engines.

Houdini is the Top Dog today. It doesn't matter one iota that it is a wholesale rip of ivanhoe. Of necessity, there's something ORIGINAL added to Houdini, because there ain't no other program as good as it is.
That's fine, but then you have to agree that the same logic applies to Rybka when it dominated computer chess a couple of years ago.

In fact, all programs OTHER than Houdini are but copies and clones of the same worn out chess engine algorithms. It is only Houdini that has achieved something TRULY ORIGINAL and PROVEN it by being STRONGER THAN ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
Just as Rybka did. So am I to understand then that you consider Rybka an original program?

I don't know how you personally feel, but I know many feel just about exactly like you describe here about Ivanhoe and family, but don't seem to apply the same logic to Rybka.
benstoker

Post by benstoker »

Don wrote:
benstoker wrote: Again, after all is said and done, forever and anon, from here to eternity, Top Dog will always be that one special engine that has that one itsy bitsy piece of originality that makes it beat all other engines.

That's fine, but then you have to agree that the same logic applies to Rybka when it dominated computer chess a couple of years ago.

Just as Rybka did. So am I to understand then that you consider Rybka an original program?

I don't know how you personally feel, but I know many feel just about exactly like you describe here about Ivanhoe and family, but don't seem to apply the same logic to Rybka.
Yes, but ...

First, I have no opinion on the fruit/rybka beyond whatever appears to be the current wisdom on the subject amongst you programmer folk.

If a program is 99.99% idenitical to some other program, BUT, it has some addition or modification that makes it stronger than all other pograms, then, of course, it must have something that is ORIGINAL. A literal byte by byte copy of a program should, one would think, not be stronger than itself.

Yes, Rybka has (or had) something original, even if all the naysayers prove it is a rip of fruit.

I saw on a bottle of hand sanitizer -- "Kills 99.99% of all germs." And I thought, hmmm, that one germ it doesn't kill, will kill me.

Rybka was that one germ.

And now, it's Houdini.

And they are apparently both rips from other programs.

But, they possess at least SOMETHING that's original, as demonstrated by their success. First place is first place. That's why it's called first place.
hgm

Post by hgm »

benstoker wrote:Part of what you say seems to be that there MUST be at least SOME kind of filter for a tournament, otherwise, you get the above absurdities. I agree.

The question is what is that filter.
Well, that is a good starting point.
The argument is that clones must be filtered out even if the clone is stonger, because of some kind of "originality" criteria.
Whose argument is that? I never said that. It stands to reason that it is up to the tournament organizer to define what filter he wants.
I ask why would you filter out the STRONGEST engine? You say because it isn't "original". I ask again, what is "original" in chess engines today? What is NOT merely a tweak or optimization of public domain routines? Whatever Ippo* had that made it stronger than R3, was NOT some grand paradigm shifting new algorithm, right? You all looked at the code and should know by now. Ippo* just implemented already known and used routines in a more efficient or optimized manner, right? Ditto for Fruit to Rybka.
Apart from the fact that _I_ said none of those things, this subect already came up in another thread, and what it boils down to is that it all depends if a tournament is intended to be acompetition for engines or a competition for authors. If it is for authors the author must be able to decide which of his engines he will enter, as he is allowed to enter only one. If it is intended as a competition for engines, then I can imagine that the tournament organizer takes another decision.

But I think your proposal is still not thought through very well. Suppose Robert enters Houdini, and I enter HGMini, which is my 10-min hex-edit job on an unrevealed engine which, coincidence of coincidences, turns out to be exactly as strong as Houdini 1.5a. Now which of the two would you accept in your tournament? Both of them? (And keep in mind that it would be naive to think less than 50 other people would have done the same hex-edit job as I, so you could read this question as "all 52 of them?"...) How would you even know whether Houdini or HGMini was the stronger of the two _before_ the tournament. And if you already knew that, what point would the tournament still have?