Some recent lower level engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Evert

Re: Some recent lower level engines

Post by Evert »

Kirill Kryukov wrote: Hi Evert!

Great news, I've been looking forward to your release of Jazz for a long time now. :-)

Allegro regards,
Kirill
I've been working on it on and off, but it's improved nicely along the way. I've been close to doing a release several times, but put it off each time. Usually because of something I broke or needed to test first.
I really need to restructure the code and rewrite the evaluation function to be a less convoluted mess, but that can wait. What can't wait though is fixing a bug I seem to have introduced recently where it will sometimes play (or falsely claim) illegal moves. And by play illegal moves, I mean things like Ka6-f6. Fails to reproduce when I load the position at the root, of course.
When I get that fixed, I'll upload it and make an announcement.

All the best!
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: A proposal

Post by Sylwy »

Adam Hair wrote:
Sylwy wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:With my Amateur Series, I'm always looking at new engines to see whether any are strong enough to be included.

My cutoff point is that they must be 2000+ ELO based on CCRL ratings.
As Reger 0.09 is around that level, I use it as a test engine against which to measure the newbies.

I tried out six new engines - Betsabe II 1.0, Bubble 1.5, JaksaH 1.10, Purplehaze 2.0.0, Revati 0.4c and Supra 1.1.
Hi Graham !

Would be nice to see in CCRL rating list a nice engine of Andrea Griffini-Italy ! Is over Soldat 0.25 in my tests.So , around 2.000 ELO points. Plays very well in tournaments. It's a nice tactic engine !
GChessIV 0.2.0 is its name. Here is the site:

http://e4e6.altervista.org/download.php

Regards,
Silvian
Hi Ruxy,

I made a long list of engines not on the CCRL lists, so that I could test
them and get them included. I forgot about GChessIV. It is helpful to us
that you and others mention engines like GChessIV, so that they can
be included in our testing.

Thank You,

Adam

Hi Adam !

I like a lot the chess engines between 1800-2.400 ELO because I play myself ,near everyday , with these engines. Of course I have my own rating list , but my conditions are a bit different . Nice to see all my sparring -partners :lol: in a serious rating list. Thank you !

Have a nice Sunday !

Silvian
Evert

Post by Evert »

Evert wrote:What can't wait though is fixing a bug I seem to have introduced recently where it will sometimes play (or falsely claim) illegal moves. And by play illegal moves, I mean things like Ka6-f6. Fails to reproduce when I load the position at the root, of course.
When I get that fixed, I'll upload it and make an announcement.
Ok, I've narrowed it down a bit, but it seems to be a problem caused by an out-of-bounds array access, meaning it could be anywhere. Running a (longer TC) match through valgrind now, hopefully that will shed some light on things.
Next on the list after that is rolling back to an earlier revision.

Very, very annoying.
Evert

Post by Evert »

Evert wrote:Ok, I've narrowed it down a bit, but it seems to be a problem caused by an out-of-bounds array access, meaning it could be anywhere. Running a (longer TC) match through valgrind now, hopefully that will shed some light on things.
Next on the list after that is rolling back to an earlier revision.
Ok, I've found the problem.
It was, indeed, an out-of-bounds array access error. I was finally able to locate it properly because I could reproduce the problem by running Fine 70 for more than 40 ply as an alternative to running a match and waiting for the bug to trigger.
Doing some final testing now (and checking whether I don't have the same bug in other parts of the code).

Not long now!