Daily iPhone chess programs releases

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tomgdrums

Re: ChessTiger Update

Post by tomgdrums »

tiger wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
tiger wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
tiger wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:
tiger wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:
tiger wrote:The name is not important. Look, you can have a horrible and nonsensical name like "Stockfish" and still be popular. ;-)
True, but actually the iOS version is named "Stockfish chess", in order to make it easier to find accidentally when searching for chess programs on the app store. I have several friends with iPhones who wanted a chess program, downloaded the most promising looking free program they could find, and discovered to their surprise that I am the author (most of my friends don't know I'm a chess programmer). :)

Thanks a lot for the new version! The only thing I'm missing now is iPad support.

Actually I'm wondering why you use Chess Tiger. You have developped your own chess program for the same platform...

Just wondering.
For the same reason that most of us on this message board uses more than one chess program: They are all different, and it is fun to play against a variety of opponents. In addition to Stockfish, I use Chess Tiger, Chess Genius, Hiarcs and Kakinoki Shogi regularly on my iPhone and iPad. I also have Shredder and tChess Pro installed, but I don't like them as much as the other programs, and rarely use them.

Shredder has been a great inspiration for me. It showed me how disastrous it can be to try to cram too much information on such a small screen. :)

Tom are you listening? Are you going to complain to Stephan for this one? :)

// Christophe
No I am not going to complain at all. The ironic thing is that I agree with you about the era of cut and paste engines. None of them interest me. I enjoy the chance to purchase original engines by original authors. But your flippant answers to my honest questions regarding a potential Chess Tiger 2011 for PC and your disdain for other programs makes me question whether I care anymore about a Chess Tiger for PC.

As someone who complains (and rightfully so I might add) about the people who support the cut and paste engines, you might want to learn to be a little nicer to potential paying customers and your colleagues who also put out good product.

Just a thought.

Don't even think about it.

I have been posting here for years and stopped on the first days of september 2008 after having been flamed to the bones together with a few others. I was defending my opinion that Rybka was an illegal derivative of a GPL program. Looks like the general opinion has changed a little bit, but I'm not going to forget about this.

Now I'm back.

If I want to hide what I think, I just don't post.

If I post, I say what I really have in mind.

I have great respect for a number of chess programmers. Not all of them, but most of them. let me name for example Stephan, Mark, Richard, Bob, Tord, Frans, ... just to name a few (no offense meant to the great people I have left out).

It is an unfortunate fact that I am in direct competition with some of them. But I know, and they know, that we are the ones who have worked hard, for years, on our own creations. That we are fighting but that we have actually many things in common and we can imagine ourselves in each other's shoes (not sure if this sentence makes any sense, grammatically :) ).

I can imagine how they had to struggle with Objective-C in order to create an iOS GUI, for those who did it themselves. I can imagine how they had to struggle with their own existing code to implement interpolation between opening and endgame scores.

So there is definitely some kind of connection between us, a sense of competition, but no hate or disrespect I think.

On iOS, I find Shredder's GUI too cramped. So what?

Richard's program is outdated. So what? He is one of my idols.

Tord's program is not for everyone. So what?

I find Mark's program not appealing, graphically. So what?

Fritz, it seems, screwed up and has got a number of bad reviews. So what?

Chess Tiger is certainly the most outrageaous: it is available in english only. It is said that it is not competitive stength-wise. The first version was insufficiently tested and did not work on iOS 3.1.3. The email feature did not work either. I don't have permanent brain. Worse, the engine can do it but I will not implement it in the GUI.

So what?

Now about the "potential customers".

If someone likes my products and purchase them, great. If he does not purchase them because of what I say, that's perfectly fine with me. I would do exactly the same.

I'm not going to change what I think or what I say in fear of losing customers. I just don't care. You'd know if you were there 3 years ago, or before.

Last point:

You seem to be upset by the fact that I did not answer your question about Chess Tiger for PC.

I have been asked this question here a dozen times in the last few days and I did not answer. Maybe you have not noticed, but you are the only one taking offense.

I guess that the other persons have noticed the silence, that they have understood and, by respect, did not insist.

Sorry.

// Christophe

You mention the word respect. Would it not have been respectful for you to just have answered my question with a simple, "I do not yet know my plans for Chess Tiger 2011 on other platforms."

I asked because I was excited and enthusiastic about it! Sorry about that!

And yet when you did eventually answer you answered in a sarcastic and disrespectful way. Why?

Again I am sorry that I was initially enthusiastic about your program. I won't commit that sin again.

You should relax a little bit... It's already hot enough on some other threads in this forum...

// Christophe

Thanks for the concern. I am doing well. Best of luck.
tiger

Re: ChessTiger Update

Post by tiger »

tomgdrums wrote:
tiger wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
tiger wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
tiger wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:
tiger wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:
tiger wrote:The name is not important. Look, you can have a horrible and nonsensical name like "Stockfish" and still be popular. ;-)
True, but actually the iOS version is named "Stockfish chess", in order to make it easier to find accidentally when searching for chess programs on the app store. I have several friends with iPhones who wanted a chess program, downloaded the most promising looking free program they could find, and discovered to their surprise that I am the author (most of my friends don't know I'm a chess programmer). :)

Thanks a lot for the new version! The only thing I'm missing now is iPad support.

Actually I'm wondering why you use Chess Tiger. You have developped your own chess program for the same platform...

Just wondering.
For the same reason that most of us on this message board uses more than one chess program: They are all different, and it is fun to play against a variety of opponents. In addition to Stockfish, I use Chess Tiger, Chess Genius, Hiarcs and Kakinoki Shogi regularly on my iPhone and iPad. I also have Shredder and tChess Pro installed, but I don't like them as much as the other programs, and rarely use them.

Shredder has been a great inspiration for me. It showed me how disastrous it can be to try to cram too much information on such a small screen. :)

Tom are you listening? Are you going to complain to Stephan for this one? :)

// Christophe
No I am not going to complain at all. The ironic thing is that I agree with you about the era of cut and paste engines. None of them interest me. I enjoy the chance to purchase original engines by original authors. But your flippant answers to my honest questions regarding a potential Chess Tiger 2011 for PC and your disdain for other programs makes me question whether I care anymore about a Chess Tiger for PC.

As someone who complains (and rightfully so I might add) about the people who support the cut and paste engines, you might want to learn to be a little nicer to potential paying customers and your colleagues who also put out good product.

Just a thought.

Don't even think about it.

I have been posting here for years and stopped on the first days of september 2008 after having been flamed to the bones together with a few others. I was defending my opinion that Rybka was an illegal derivative of a GPL program. Looks like the general opinion has changed a little bit, but I'm not going to forget about this.

Now I'm back.

If I want to hide what I think, I just don't post.

If I post, I say what I really have in mind.

I have great respect for a number of chess programmers. Not all of them, but most of them. let me name for example Stephan, Mark, Richard, Bob, Tord, Frans, ... just to name a few (no offense meant to the great people I have left out).

It is an unfortunate fact that I am in direct competition with some of them. But I know, and they know, that we are the ones who have worked hard, for years, on our own creations. That we are fighting but that we have actually many things in common and we can imagine ourselves in each other's shoes (not sure if this sentence makes any sense, grammatically :) ).

I can imagine how they had to struggle with Objective-C in order to create an iOS GUI, for those who did it themselves. I can imagine how they had to struggle with their own existing code to implement interpolation between opening and endgame scores.

So there is definitely some kind of connection between us, a sense of competition, but no hate or disrespect I think.

On iOS, I find Shredder's GUI too cramped. So what?

Richard's program is outdated. So what? He is one of my idols.

Tord's program is not for everyone. So what?

I find Mark's program not appealing, graphically. So what?

Fritz, it seems, screwed up and has got a number of bad reviews. So what?

Chess Tiger is certainly the most outrageaous: it is available in english only. It is said that it is not competitive stength-wise. The first version was insufficiently tested and did not work on iOS 3.1.3. The email feature did not work either. I don't have permanent brain. Worse, the engine can do it but I will not implement it in the GUI.

So what?

Now about the "potential customers".

If someone likes my products and purchase them, great. If he does not purchase them because of what I say, that's perfectly fine with me. I would do exactly the same.

I'm not going to change what I think or what I say in fear of losing customers. I just don't care. You'd know if you were there 3 years ago, or before.

Last point:

You seem to be upset by the fact that I did not answer your question about Chess Tiger for PC.

I have been asked this question here a dozen times in the last few days and I did not answer. Maybe you have not noticed, but you are the only one taking offense.

I guess that the other persons have noticed the silence, that they have understood and, by respect, did not insist.

Sorry.

// Christophe

You mention the word respect. Would it not have been respectful for you to just have answered my question with a simple, "I do not yet know my plans for Chess Tiger 2011 on other platforms."

I asked because I was excited and enthusiastic about it! Sorry about that!

And yet when you did eventually answer you answered in a sarcastic and disrespectful way. Why?

Again I am sorry that I was initially enthusiastic about your program. I won't commit that sin again.

You should relax a little bit... It's already hot enough on some other threads in this forum...

// Christophe

Thanks for the concern. I am doing well. Best of luck.

I'm a little stressed at this time. I feel like the architect in the Matrix MTV Awards parody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eY4qU80lPM

:wink:

Best wishes Tom.

// Christophe
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: Daily iPhone chess programs releases

Post by JuLieN »

TChess Pro just received a nice update!

I quote :
- Added Game Center support. Play chess with your friends in real time!!
- Added support for dual-core processors (iPad 2). Enable it in the settings menu and Analysis Mode will calculate 50-80% faster!
TChess Pro is in my "best off" drawer, in my iPad. :)

Here come screenshots of the iPad version (this is a universal binary, working both on iPad and iPhones/iPod Touch) :

Nice 3D View:

Some menus:

Another nice 3D view:

Link to TCHessPro on the AppStore ($7.99): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/t-chess- ... 45501?mt=8#
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
tiger

Post by tiger »

JuLieN wrote:TChess Pro just received a nice update!

I quote :
- Added Game Center support. Play chess with your friends in real time!!
- Added support for dual-core processors (iPad 2). Enable it in the settings menu and Analysis Mode will calculate 50-80% faster!
TChess Pro is in my "best off" drawer, in my iPad. :)

Here come screenshots of the iPad version (this is a universal binary, working both on iPad and iPhones/iPod Touch) :

Nice 3D View:

Some menus:

Another nice 3D view:

Link to TCHessPro on the AppStore ($7.99): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/t-chess- ... 45501?mt=8#

Really nice graphics.

// Christophe
JuLieN

Post by JuLieN »

According to TouchArcade:
'Battle Chess' Coming To iOS

Remember Battle Chess? If not, no worries; it’s an easy pitch. Battle Chess is classic variant of chess in which its stylized pieces kill each other. It’s like the Mortal Kombat of chess basically, minus the skin and copious gore. Also, less “K."

I bring up Battle Chess because it’s coming back to PC, iOS, and “more” in the future, according to a new posting by developer Subdued Software. Specifically, you’ll see the PC version a little later this August and the iOS version “soon after” the fact, according to a Joystiq blog post about the revival.

Subdued Software’s Web site is not without content about Battle Chess — plenty of shots of the new game are available to gawk at and, hey, there’s even a features list towards the bottom of the page. According to it, expect the game to support online play, training, skill challenges, and a “combat vault” that’ll allow you to view your chess fatalities. What else could a man require?
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
JuLieN

Post by JuLieN »

3D Magic Chess (iPhone, free)

Today a new chess engine was released, à la Battlechess style. As it was free, I wondered what the catch was and downloaded it. And now I can tell that there is just no catch! Go download it, it is good! Of course, it plays quite a weak chess, but it plays fast, is very well done with beautiful and natural animations (though a bit simple maybe), all in 3D. Excellent realization, very clean and polished (though pixelized on the iPad, as the application is not universal)! You can play against the computer as white or black, or against a friend, either on the same device or through your wifi network.

Some screenshots :

Up to now I played three games, each on the first three levels of difficulty out of five. The first two ones were exactly the same game. Quick victories. The third one needed me to put some thinking in order to get a yet quite easy win. I trust the last remaining levels of difficulty will make for a better challenge. Also, the game doesn't seem to have any book, so it will always play the same openings. Weak openings. But it didn't crash at all and it follows all the rules of chess. Which is not so usual for those Battlechess-like programs. All in all, it's a very pleasant experience, and it's FREE! So go for it, no hesitation to have! :)

Link to iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/3d-magic ... 78980?mt=8
JuLieN

Post by JuLieN »

Two new chess programs in the AppStore today.

Real Chess, by Dominic Rodemer (Appetite Studio) (Universal application, 2.99 euros)

(Not to be confused with Real Chess Professional or a yet existing Real Chess ... guys you need some more originality! )

This program is quite basic : you can start a new game (play as black or white against the AI, or against a friend), take back a move, get a hint, or change some settings (program strength, library variety, style of play (passive, solid, active, aggressive, suicidal), type of game (from 2mn blitz to 30s/move), show legal moves, and how loud shall the sound play) :

(sorry for the screenshots in french, I couldn't find the american iTune page for this application...)

The chess engine seems reasonably strong (it will probably defeat most of us), and the interface is simple but good looking :

All in all, not the best chess program in the AppStore, but it won't disappoint you. Maybe a bit too costly for what it does, though. Oh, and something that will annoy most of those of us who speak french: the program tells us "tu", instead of "vous", which is a bit rude.

(french) iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/id437810330?mt=8

Blind Chess Trainer, by Marcel Nijman (Universal application, 0.79 euros)

Marcel Nijman, the author of the PC chess engine Tjess, and yet author of the "Chess Wise (/Pro)" iPhone/iPad chess program, delivers a new good chess program, this time to train our blind game skill. I've always liked playing blindfold games, although very few programs give this possibility (one that comes to my mind was Chess Master... on the amiga 500 computer...). Now the iPhone/iPad has one. The engine is good, probably still Tjess, just like with Chess-Wise, and the interface is very simple but efficient. You can chose between 5 modes:
- Normal chess
- Blind Training 1 (all the chessmen have the same grey colour)
- Blind Training 2 (all the chessmen are checkers-like pieces, although you still can differentiate between white and black)
- Blind Training 3 (all the chessmen are grey checkers-like pieces)
- Blind chess! (empty board)

This is not the best looking chess program of the AppStore :

But it is simple, efficient, and does a good job. Plus it's cheap. If you want to practice your blind chess skill, go for it!

iTunes link : http://itunes.apple.com/app/blind-chess ... 53257?mt=8

And here's a link to Marcel Nijman's Chess-Wise Pro (Universal, $2.99):
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chess-wi ... 03981?mt=8
JuLieN

Post by JuLieN »

Good news everyone!

Cheng3 just found its way to our favorite iOS devices, under the name ChessFortress ($2.99).

Here's their presentation text:
The ultimate chess for beginners AND advanced players! Chess Fortress uses one of the most promising new chess engines (Cheng3 - around 2300 ELO on an iDevice).

You may adjust the difficulty according to Your skill (100 adjustable skill levels starting from a total novice up to a skilled club player).

The app offers a backwards/forwards control buttons, which allows You to return to any point of game and try a different approach, or just to undo a last move.

The "ponder" function lets the engine AI think while You are making Your move (just like a human does).

For easy learning the main screen features a hint button (with the key icon).

Save Your game anytime for a later analysis! You may easily set up Your own chess board configuration.

Game mode for two human players also available.

Features one of the biggest board for a better orientation (no unnecessary menus).

In Analysis mode You may have any current position analyzed by the chess engine.

Enjoy the game of kings - enter our Chess Fortress!
The authors wish You lots of fun! :)
It is a universal application (it comes directly playable on both the iPhone and the iPad).

iPhone's load screen:

iPhone game screen:

iPad game screen:

iPad settings screen:

As you can see, the authors chose to diverge from iOS' usual UI style :)

iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chessfor ... 42802?mt=8
JuLieN

Post by JuLieN »

Now that's interesting! A three-players chess program!

Triad-Chess deluxe (free)

Their description:
Description
TRIAD-CHESS HD 3D – 3 Players chess game

OPTIMIZED FOR THE iPAD ! High definition graphics to fully enjoy the iPad.

Discover the all new strategic 3 player chess game, in which coincidence plays no part !

The 3D Triad-chess in HD quality is the deserving downward of « the king of games » . Having kept in mind the spirit, basics and proportions of the traditionnal chess game, the Triad-Chess opens up a whole new dimension... and what a dimension !!! Having to confront yourself to 2 opponents at once increases the strategy by 100%. To allow that, the power of your unit has been increased by 50% to 100%, depending type the piece, and each piece is 50% more powerful than the traditional pieces ones.

Throughout the Triad-chess conception process, everything has been thoroughly thought out…

- Castling : One small and two tall.
- Taking in passing.
- Promotion of the pawn with choice of piece.
- Left pat.
- Compartments location.
- Etc.
- It’s even possible to make the shot of the shepherd (to you to find…)

If you already know how to play chess, Triad-chess is going to amaze you.

And if you don't know how to play, it's not a problem. You don't have to be familiar with the traditional chess game to start playing Triad-chess. The rules are as simple as it gets, the difficulty level is ajustable and AI (artificial intelligence) is there to assist you (pieces activity display)

In all cases, once you get a hold of it, you won't want to let it go.

Characteristics :

- Easy to use.
- Rules included : English, español et français
- 2 playing modes : First fall and Survivor.
- Duration : From 15 minutes to several hours depending on the chosen mode.
- 3 difficulty levels : Easy, medium and hard.
- Can be played alone (against 2 AI*), or with one (against 1 AI*) or 2 other players.
- Viewing the latest coups played by two opponents.
- Display of the authorized knocks.
- Two different moving modes possible : From « start » square to « arrival » square or « slide/deposit ».
- Option : Display of the pieces likely to be moved.
- Option : Display displacement allowed opponents.
- Option : Confirm deplacement.
- Option : Clock. Calculates the times used by each player
- Cancel last deplacement (possibility of cancelling many deplacements)
- Realistic and varied sound effects.
- A key for fast change of viewpoints (gives the perspective of each player)
- Amazing 3D graphics (free movement of the tray and zooming for big fingers).
- Choice of colours and materials used.
- Compatible with IOS4 multi-task.
- No integrated advertising.

One of the upcoming Triad-chess version will allow playing on a online server, therefore permitting confrontation with other players on a global level.

*AI : Artificial intelligence

http://www.dailymotion.com/Triad-Chess#videoId=xl2ysx
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002496873072

iTunes link : http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/triad-ch ... 83710?mt=8

There's also a still free but not Deluxe edition for iPhone :
itunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/triad-ch ... 60131?mt=8

I(ve downloaded it, but not had time to test it yet. :) If you guys try it, please give us your impressions!
JuLieN

Post by JuLieN »

Big news today, as Lokasoft releases its ChessPartner program for both iPad and iPhone. Also, a few days ago, was released a free program I like quite much: Chessimo HD.

I- Locasoft's ChessPartner ($3.99):

Their description:
The Dutch Computer Chess package for everyone, novice or experienced players are invited to play.
ChessPartner has various levels of play and can take many challenges.
Now take your ChessPartner on the road and play chess everywhere.
Play against ChessPartner or invite your friends via Game Center.

The program works both on iPhone and iPad.

Features:
- Attractive board. Select from three piece sets.
- Color support, choose the color scheme you like.
- Choose from various layouts.
- Very easy to use.
- Load / Save PGN games. PGN files can be used to exchange games with your favorite PC chess program.
- Powerful PGN support, can handle very large PGN files.
- PGN files are automatically indexed for fast searches.
- Full support for variations.
- Strong Chess engine.
- Comprehensive opening book. Owners of the PC version of ChessPartner can even exchange their own created books.
- Use iTunes to transfer opening books and games.
- Unlimited take back and move forward. Quickly navigates through your saved games.
- Shows computers thinking.
- Many different levels.
- Setup position for analysis.
- Analyze mode. Just browse through a game an let ChessPartner think about the game. Use it to analyze your own games and improve your play.
- Gives a hint. If you need some help, just tap the 'hint' button.
- Plays through Game Center. Invite your friends to play, or make new friends.
- e-mails games. Ideal for correspondence players. Can also directly load PGN games from e-mail attachments.
A typical view on iPad:

And on iPhone:

I wonder what the "strong engine" it embarks is...

iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chesspar ... &ls=1&mt=8

II- Chessimo HD (Free+in-app):

Their description:
Train, Check and Play with Chessimo ®

Raise your skill level and have more fun playing chess by taking Chessimo´s ® innovative step by step training. Chessimo ® helps you achieve long-lasting training benefits quickly and enjoyably through repetition of real-life game situations.

TRAIN - Improve your chess

Chessimo´s ® innovative approach to chess training is based on repeatedly solving real game situations chosen by the Brazilian GM Gilberto Milos. The exercises are sorted by themes (tactics, strategy, endgames) and severity.

Chessimo ® helps you improve your basic knowledge of tactics, endgames, openings and strategy in a playful way. Each exercise demonstrates interactive training and asks you for the correct answer to a question posed by the software.

Chessimo ® helps you to:

♘ Significantly improve your ability to combine moves

♘ Recognize tactical moves more quickly

♘ Perfect your openings and endgames

♘ Think ahead more efficiently

CHECK - Play against the computer

If you´re looking for a real challenge, look no further: Crafty is always up for a game. By playing against one of the strongest chess programs you will be able to turn your training´s progress into success – as documented by your individual Elo rating.

After the game is over Chessimo ® will display your personal Elo rating, which you may register with the Apple Game Center for inclusion in a high score list of all registered Chessimo ® users.

PLAY - Use your iPad as a chessboard

Playing chess has never been more convenient: Chessimo ® can turn your iPad into a chessboard. During your lunch break or while you´re travelling, the only thing you´ll need is an opponent ready to rise to your challenge.

Now have fun with Chessimo ®.
Despite some functions must be buy through in-app purchase I really like this program. Also I believe it's the first one that comes with Crafty, on iOS...

iPad screenshot:

The tactical training results screen:

iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chessimo ... 83124?mt=8