An Apology to Dr. Hyatt

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
User avatar
Watchman
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA

An Apology to Dr. Hyatt

Post by Watchman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:14 pm

Dr. Hyatt...

Many moons ago we were discussing a certain topic (had to do with "the law" and "speeding"). The point where I dropped the conversation was when I came down with a nasty cold...

That cold or maybe I had just taken a stupid pill the day of my last response, but I made a statement something like, "see... I knew you had no idea what I was talking about". Some time later I realized you did know exactly what I was talking about and I had mis-interpreted what you said.

I have felt "bad enough" about it to believe I owe you a public apology. I am sorry for that. I was probably arrogant to the point of rude in that thread... Just off the top of my head (if I remember correctly) I would never speak to one of my undergrad or grad professors the way I can remember posting in that thread. Again, apologies. A man of your stature does not rate to be treated that way (certainly not by a bug like me).

With that "I bid you good day"

Sincerely,
Rob Osborne
Rob O. / Watchman

bob
Posts: 20916
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL

Re: An Apology to Dr. Hyatt

Post by bob » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:20 pm

Watchman wrote:Dr. Hyatt...

Many moons ago we were discussing a certain topic (had to do with "the law" and "speeding"). The point where I dropped the conversation was when I came down with a nasty cold...

That cold or maybe I had just taken a stupid pill the day of my last response, but I made a statement something like, "see... I knew you had no idea what I was talking about". Some time later I realized you did know exactly what I was talking about and I had mis-interpreted what you said.

I have felt "bad enough" about it to believe I owe you a public apology. I am sorry for that. I was probably arrogant to the point of rude in that thread... Just off the top of my head (if I remember correctly) I would never speak to one of my undergrad or grad professors the way I can remember posting in that thread. Again, apologies. A man of your stature does not rate to be treated that way (certainly not by a bug like me).

With that "I bid you good day"

Sincerely,
Rob Osborne
First, a public apology is never necessary from my perspective. And I don't keep these discussions burning inside my head for long periods and generally don't take offence except in _really_ obvious cases.

So no worries. And no problems. :)

User avatar
JuLieN
Posts: 2948
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Nantes (France)
Contact:

Re: An Apology to Dr. Hyatt

Post by JuLieN » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:28 pm

Sorry to intervene in a semi-private talk, but as it had an happy ending I now feel ok to tell Rob that if it hadn't work, you could still offer Bob some Milk Duds :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtcalLfVHk8

Seems to work nice too :)
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
Image [Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]

Sean Evans
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: Canada

Re: An Apology to Dr. Hyatt

Post by Sean Evans » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Watchman wrote:Dr. Hyatt...

Many moons ago we were discussing a certain topic (had to do with "the law" and "speeding"). The point where I dropped the conversation was when I came down with a nasty cold...

That cold or maybe I had just taken a stupid pill the day of my last response, but I made a statement something like, "see... I knew you had no idea what I was talking about". Some time later I realized you did know exactly what I was talking about and I had mis-interpreted what you said.

I have felt "bad enough" about it to believe I owe you a public apology. I am sorry for that. I was probably arrogant to the point of rude in that thread... Just off the top of my head (if I remember correctly) I would never speak to one of my undergrad or grad professors the way I can remember posting in that thread. Again, apologies. A man of your stature does not rate to be treated that way (certainly not by a bug like me).

With that "I bid you good day"

Sincerely,
Rob Osborne
Take the conversation to a PM!

Sean Evans
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: Canada

Re: An Apology to Dr. Hyatt

Post by Sean Evans » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:13 pm

bob wrote:I don't keep these discussions burning inside my head for long periods and generally don't take offence...
:lol: :roll:

Steve B
Posts: 3697
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: An Apology to Dr. Hyatt

Post by Steve B » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:30 pm

I remembered the conversation
Takes a good man to make a public apology
i guess you law enforcement guys have a strong sense or honor
:P

Best Regards
Steve

User avatar
Watchman
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA

Re: An Apology to Dr. Hyatt

Post by Watchman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:43 am

Thanks Steve,

It comes more from The Lord screwing my head on straight in the Marine Corps. I believe if you offended in public, you make the apology in public (no matter how embarrassing or humiliating... took me a while tho).

I figured I'd get criticized for saying anything... criticism I can ignore; my conscience not so much...

Julien's comment was funny.

Semper Fi,
Rob

also Thanks Dr. Hyatt... appreciated sir.
Rob O. / Watchman

bob
Posts: 20916
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL

Re: An Apology to Dr. Hyatt

Post by bob » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:56 am

Watchman wrote:Thanks Steve,

It comes more from The Lord screwing my head on straight in the Marine Corps. I believe if you offended in public, you make the apology in public (no matter how embarrassing or humiliating... took me a while tho).

I figured I'd get criticized for saying anything... criticism I can ignore; my conscience not so much...

Julien's comment was funny.

Semper Fi,
Rob

also Thanks Dr. Hyatt... appreciated sir.
Now can we get back to "Bob"? I rarely carry a stethoscope and wear a white coat. :)

User avatar
Watchman
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA

Re: An Apology to Dr. Hyatt

Post by Watchman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:02 am

bob wrote:
Watchman wrote:Thanks Steve,

It comes more from The Lord screwing my head on straight in the Marine Corps. I believe if you offended in public, you make the apology in public (no matter how embarrassing or humiliating... took me a while tho).

I figured I'd get criticized for saying anything... criticism I can ignore; my conscience not so much...

Julien's comment was funny.

Semper Fi,
Rob

also Thanks Dr. Hyatt... appreciated sir.
Now can we get back to "Bob"? I rarely carry a stethoscope and wear a white coat. :)
Yes! Affirmative!
Rob O. / Watchman

Post Reply