An Apology to Dr. Hyatt

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Watchman

An Apology to Dr. Hyatt

Post by Watchman »

Dr. Hyatt...

Many moons ago we were discussing a certain topic (had to do with "the law" and "speeding"). The point where I dropped the conversation was when I came down with a nasty cold...

That cold or maybe I had just taken a stupid pill the day of my last response, but I made a statement something like, "see... I knew you had no idea what I was talking about". Some time later I realized you did know exactly what I was talking about and I had mis-interpreted what you said.

I have felt "bad enough" about it to believe I owe you a public apology. I am sorry for that. I was probably arrogant to the point of rude in that thread... Just off the top of my head (if I remember correctly) I would never speak to one of my undergrad or grad professors the way I can remember posting in that thread. Again, apologies. A man of your stature does not rate to be treated that way (certainly not by a bug like me).

With that "I bid you good day"

Sincerely,
Rob Osborne
Rob O. / Watchman
bob

Re: An Apology to Dr. Hyatt

Post by bob »

Watchman wrote:Dr. Hyatt...

Many moons ago we were discussing a certain topic (had to do with "the law" and "speeding"). The point where I dropped the conversation was when I came down with a nasty cold...

That cold or maybe I had just taken a stupid pill the day of my last response, but I made a statement something like, "see... I knew you had no idea what I was talking about". Some time later I realized you did know exactly what I was talking about and I had mis-interpreted what you said.

I have felt "bad enough" about it to believe I owe you a public apology. I am sorry for that. I was probably arrogant to the point of rude in that thread... Just off the top of my head (if I remember correctly) I would never speak to one of my undergrad or grad professors the way I can remember posting in that thread. Again, apologies. A man of your stature does not rate to be treated that way (certainly not by a bug like me).

Sincerely,
Rob Osborne
First, a public apology is never necessary from my perspective. And I don't keep these discussions burning inside my head for long periods and generally don't take offence except in _really_ obvious cases.

So no worries. And no problems. :)
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

Sorry to intervene in a semi-private talk, but as it had an happy ending I now feel ok to tell Rob that if it hadn't work, you could still offer Bob some Milk Duds :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtcalLfVHk8

Seems to work nice too :)
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Watchman wrote:Dr. Hyatt...

Sincerely,
Rob Osborne
Take the conversation to a PM!
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

bob wrote:I don't keep these discussions burning inside my head for long periods and generally don't take offence...
:lol: :roll:
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

I remembered the conversation
Takes a good man to make a public apology
i guess you law enforcement guys have a strong sense or honor
:P

Best Regards
Steve
Watchman

Post by Watchman »

Thanks Steve,

It comes more from The Lord screwing my head on straight in the Marine Corps. I believe if you offended in public, you make the apology in public (no matter how embarrassing or humiliating... took me a while tho).

I figured I'd get criticized for saying anything... criticism I can ignore; my conscience not so much...

Julien's comment was funny.

Semper Fi,
Rob

also Thanks Dr. Hyatt... appreciated sir.
Rob O. / Watchman
bob

Post by bob »

Watchman wrote:Thanks Steve,

It comes more from The Lord screwing my head on straight in the Marine Corps. I believe if you offended in public, you make the apology in public (no matter how embarrassing or humiliating... took me a while tho).

I figured I'd get criticized for saying anything... criticism I can ignore; my conscience not so much...

Semper Fi,
Rob

Now can we get back to "Bob"? I rarely carry a stethoscope and wear a white coat. :)
Watchman

Post by Watchman »

bob wrote:
Watchman wrote:Thanks Steve,

Semper Fi,
Rob

Now can we get back to "Bob"? I rarely carry a stethoscope and wear a white coat. :)
Yes! Affirmative!
Rob O. / Watchman