Whether You Will Buy Rybka 5?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 87

Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

When Rybka 5 is released will buy it? And Why?
PauloSoare

Re: Whether You Will Buy Rybka 5?

Post by PauloSoare »

No doubt I will buy Rybka 5. Why? Because it´s one of the best engines in the world. I buy almost all engines, why not buy Rybka 5?
LaurenceChen

Post by LaurenceChen »

Customer support is almost non-existance when it comes to fixing BUGS...
Unless all bugs are fixed in a prompt manner... what is the point of buying another "buggy" engine whose fixes may be a long time to come...
IQ

Post by IQ »

But that is to be expected if the author does not fully understand all the plagiarized "code snippets" he pasted together. It takes much more time to fix bugs in somebody else's code.
LaurenceChen wrote:Customer support is almost non-existance when it comes to fixing BUGS...
Unless all bugs are fixed in a prompt manner... what is the point of buying another "buggy" engine whose fixes may be a long time to come...
tjfroh
Full name: Timothy Frohlick

Post by tjfroh »

I will buy it if it has a killer GUI and it is less than $100.00.

Tj
A New Way Comes Upon Earth.
God is an infinitely variable Constant.
Man marks his ground with ideologies.
Galaxies are the dreidels of God.
War is a punishment for implacability.
Peace flows from forgiveness of sins.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

IQ wrote:But that is to be expected if the author does not fully understand all the plagiarized "code snippets" he pasted together. It takes much more time to fix bugs in somebody else's code.
Funny :lol:

I own Rybka 4, I bought it before the derivative issue became strong. My thinking is that R4 is a derivative and the Ippo* programs and Houdini are R4 derivatives, then I might as well just use Houdini for free. They are all really just the same base code, with some tweaking.

Cordially,

Sean
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

If Rybka 5 is 70 to 100 ELO stronger and becomes the strongest available UCI engine, I think pretty much everyone here will get it. Whether they buy it or not ... that is a different issue.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

M ANSARI wrote:If Rybka 5 is 70 to 100 ELO stronger and becomes the strongest available UCI engine, I think pretty much everyone here will get it. Whether they buy it or not ... that is a different issue.
No doubt Vas will incorporate the changes found in Houdini, so it is quite possible. R4 has to stay number 1 or sales will drop dramatically.

I notice Junior, Shredder and Hiarcs are still asking the full price for their engines, yet they are only moderate strength compared to other programs. My opinion is they need to drop their prices when their ELO drops, no one should pay that much for a program that is not improving and staying in the top five. I think part of the problem is the programmers are spending the bulk of their time reprogramming to get their engines into the micro-computer market: cell phones, iPod, Tablets, etc..

Cordially,

Sean
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

M ANSARI wrote:If Rybka 5 is 70 to 100 ELO stronger and becomes the strongest available UCI engine, I think pretty much everyone here will get it. Whether they buy it or not ... that is a different issue.
I am on the fence waiting to see what happens with the Rybka/Fruit thing AND to see whether Vas' customer service improves at all.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Sean Evans wrote:
No doubt Vas will incorporate the changes found in Houdini, so it is quite possible. R4 has to stay number 1 or sales will drop dramatically.

I notice Junior, Shredder and Hiarcs are still asking the full price for their engines, yet they are only moderate strength compared to other programs. My opinion is they need to drop their prices when their ELO drops, no one should pay that much for a program that is not improving and staying in the top five. I think part of the problem is the programmers are spending the bulk of their time reprogramming to get their engines into the micro-computer market: cell phones, iPod, Tablets, etc..

Cordially,

Sean

I disagree with you on this. I don't mind paying full price for Shredder because you get a great engine, the best GUI (in my opinion) a great opening book and an engine that is good to play against. With Hiarcs you get a great opening book on purchase (even if you don't subscribe to the updates), a great and fun engine to play against and analyze with. Same with Junior. AND with all of these you get great customer service.

For my purposes, a lot of the free engines just don't have the features I need. But as I have said before people have different needs and wants when it comes to engines.