rybka 1.0 beta

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
jmartus
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 12:50 am

rybka 1.0 beta

Post by jmartus » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:55 pm

I wish people wouldn't hate rybka so much. I dont think computer chess would be where it is today if it wasn't for rybka 1.0 beta.

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: rybka 1.0 beta

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:35 pm

jmartus wrote:I wish people wouldn't hate rybka so much. I dont think computer chess would be where it is today if it wasn't for rybka 1.0 beta.
We don't hate Rybka,we hate it's author :lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

PauloSoare
Posts: 1335
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:30 am
Location: Cabo Frio, Brasil

Re: rybka 1.0 beta

Post by PauloSoare » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:13 pm

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
jmartus wrote:I wish people wouldn't hate rybka so much. I dont think computer chess would be where it is today if it wasn't for rybka 1.0 beta.
We don't hate Rybka,we hate it's author :lol:
I have no doubt about this. But hate is bad for your health, Dr. Wael.

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9635
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: rybka 1.0 beta

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:41 pm

PauloSoare wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
jmartus wrote:I wish people wouldn't hate rybka so much. I dont think computer chess would be where it is today if it wasn't for rybka 1.0 beta.
We don't hate Rybka,we hate it's author :lol:
I have no doubt about this. But hate is bad for your health, Dr. Wael.
Well,hate in general is a negative emotion,I do agree....but I make exception for Rybka's author,it charges me with positive energy :lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

Tom Barrister
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: rybka 1.0 beta

Post by Tom Barrister » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:01 pm

jmartus wrote:I wish people wouldn't hate rybka so much. I dont think computer chess would be where it is today if it wasn't for rybka 1.0 beta.
I think it would be better off if Mr. Rajlich and Rybka had never entered the market. Having a chess engine much higher than any other doesn't encourage competition, it stifles it. It gives commercial programmers little reason to compete, since few people will buy #2 when #1 is much stronger. It takes money out of their pockets and makes development less profitable----indeed, probably not worth their time.

Now it's becoming apparent that this supremacy came about by unfair means. This puts a bad taste in the mouths of other programmers, commercial and free alike. It discourages them from bothering, when their ideas are apt to be stolen and implemented without their permission, and the thief makes money off of this. It also sends the wrong message and encourages cheating by everybody else, if only to stay abreast of the original cheat.

Add to that the arrogance in which Mr. Rajlich and his legions of spin doctors and finger pointers try to paint a picture of innocence, while pointing fingers and trying to divert the issue, and it's not hard to understand why many people are very worked up about this.
This production is being brought to you by Rybka: "The engine made from scratch.™"

User avatar
Sylwy
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: IASI (Romania) - the historical capital of MOLDOVA

Re: Oh-la-la !

Post by Sylwy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:29 am

Tom Barrister wrote: I think it would be better off if Mr. Rajlich and Rybka had never entered the market.
:lol: .......LOL........... :lol:
Never ?
Why ?
No ghesefts in computer chess area ? No money for 5-15 ELO points increase (if) ? :lol: No money for a new (nice ) button on an old (from my youth :lol: ) GUI ?

Rybka was a revolution in computer chess.
Vas used the Fruit code ? Maybe ! But the result is a wonder.
From years nobody was able to do a such chess engine. And not because of their correctness.Does anybody knows which commercial is 100 % original ? :lol: Let me know please ! :roll:

Not clear for everybody here who dislikes Rybka ? :lol: . Publishing Deep Rybka -for free- on "that" forum was just a paroxysmal episode. And the affair was hushed up with a great speed..............

Have a nice day !
:roll: S :roll:

Here is the future Rybka 5. A galactic architecture. New functions ! A big ELO jump ! Love , hate ,envy ,money..............................

Image

Tom Barrister
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Oh-la-la !

Post by Tom Barrister » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Sylwy wrote: Vas used the Fruit code ? Maybe ! But the result is a wonder.

From years nobody was able to do a such chess engine. Publishing Deep Rybka -for free- on "that" forum
My nephew just asked me: "What kind of gay name is "Ruxy" anyway? It sounds like the name for a poodle."

If he (Mr. Rajlich) is such a great programmer, why does Rybka still have multiple bugs, almost 10 months after it was released, and even after a very belated bugfix update? Why are things still broken? We all know the answer to that one. It's hard to use somebody else's code, let alone the code of probably 20 others, and make it work. It requires skill. Apparently that's not one of Mr. Rajlich's talents.

If Rybka is so great, why does it suck bananas in the endings? Old Spike 1.2, which is ranked way down in most lists, took a lost 8 piece ending and drew it against Rybka---this at 40/40 time controls. The same position was reversed, and Spike won it easily.

Rybka being offered for free on some forum didn't help anybody with a clue who wanted it. It's been available on fileshares, torrents, and pirate sites since it came out, much the same as every other software is. My copy is paid for, although I never use it. There's nothing that I want it to do that Houdini, Stockfish, Critter, and others, don't do as well or better.
This production is being brought to you by Rybka: "The engine made from scratch.™"

User avatar
Sylwy
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: IASI (Romania) - the historical capital of MOLDOVA

Re: Oh-la-la ! Tome 2 !

Post by Sylwy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Tom Barrister wrote:
My nephew just asked me: "What kind of gay name is "Ruxy" anyway? It sounds like the name for a poodle."
Well Tom , Earth is a small planet !
My son just asked me-via e-mail: "What kind of gay name is "Tom" anyway? It sounds-in Romanian- like the name for a microscopic poodle." :lol:
To enlighten everybody :Ruxy is my nick-an anglicization of the name of an old Carpathian vampire.
Tom Barrister wrote: If he (Mr. Rajlich) is such a great programmer, why does Rybka still have multiple bugs, almost 10 months after it was released, and even after a very belated bugfix update? Why are things still broken? We all know the answer to that one. It's hard to use somebody else's code, let alone the code of probably 20 others, and make it work. It requires skill. Apparently that's not one of Mr. Rajlich's talents.

If Rybka is so great, why does it suck bananas in the endings? Old Spike 1.2, which is ranked way down in most lists, took a lost 8 piece ending and drew it against Rybka---this at 40/40 time controls. The same position was reversed, and Spike won it easily.
Well , well, well -Mr.Tom Barrister is for sure a programer ! Guess who ? :lol:
Fritzy (my great gay love :lol: ) still have bugs. A very old chess engine. Commercial ! Ask Miky please !
Tom Barrister wrote: My copy is paid for, although I never use it.
WOW , money for nothing ( a Dire Straits famous song) ?
Well , this is a true Gaius Cilnius Maecenas act ! Support for the young talents ! :roll:
Tom Barrister wrote: There's nothing that I want it to do that Houdini, Stockfish, Critter, and others, don't do as well or better.
It's an evolution law here (Darwin ,Spencer & co.). They show us that sons/daughters are -often-over the parents. What can we do ?

Regards !
Yours,
:roll: S :roll:

Tom Barrister
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: Oh-la-la ! Tome 2 !

Post by Tom Barrister » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:23 pm

Sylwy wrote:blah blah baby-talk blah
Answer the question: If Mr. Rajlich is such a great programmer why does Rybka 4 still have multiple bugs, almost 10 months after it was released?

Nothing to say about it?

Didn't think so.
This production is being brought to you by Rybka: "The engine made from scratch.™"

User avatar
Sylwy
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: IASI (Romania) - the historical capital of MOLDOVA

Re: Oh-la-la ! Tome 2 !

Post by Sylwy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:40 pm

Tom Barrister wrote:
Sylwy wrote:blah blah baby-talk blah
Answer the question: If Mr. Rajlich is such a great programmer why does Rybka 4 still have multiple bugs, almost 10 months after it was released?

Nothing to say about it?

Didn't think so.
My friend,

I think Mr. Rajlich can better enlighten the community.
Otherwise ( he is a bad programmer) MIT has a big problem.
Near every WCCC title won by Rybka is a flag (take a look here:
http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/t ... php?id=173
http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/t ... php?id=178
http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/t ... php?id=192
http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/t ... php?id=209).
Proud or not -said Hamlet :lol: -to be the first on WCCC ?
A bad programmer ? I don't think so-yet !

Have a nice day !

:roll: S :roll:

Post Reply