Development of Onno ends

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Onno Garms

Re: Development of Onno ends

Post by Onno Garms »

Hi Kempelen,

I think I cannot play chess just for fun and to improve a little. I sit in front of a computer and source code at my main job, so for spare time I need something completely different. Dancing, hiking, meeting friends, and - playing parlor games for fun rather then to win. If I get bored by all this, I can still come back to the technical discussions and contribute to the global progress of chess engines. (But I do not yet know if I will.) Writing a weak closed source engine seems pointless to me.

Regards,
Onno

PS: Replies on technical discussions not before Wednesday evening (maybe later) because I am fairly booked out at the moment.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Onno Garms wrote:Hi Kempelen,

I think I cannot play chess just for fun and to improve a little. I sit in front of a computer and source code at my main job, so for spare time I need something completely different. Dancing, hiking, meeting friends, and - playing parlor games for fun rather then to win. If I get bored by all this, I can still come back to the technical discussions and contribute to the global progress of chess engines. (But I do not yet know if I will.) Writing a weak closed source engine seems pointless to me.

Regards,
Onno

PS: Replies on technical discussions not before Wednesday evening (maybe later) because I am fairly booked out at the moment.
Much healthier for you. Enjoy yourself! 8-)

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
fern

Post by fern »

Sorry to hear that. Now you have abandoned this commercial endeavour, how could we get your engine? You will still sell it? you will release it for free? you will keep it into a drawing? you will send it only to friends?
whcih path you will follow?

my best
Fern
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

Onno Garms wrote:Hi Kempelen,

Regards,
Onno

I completely understand you. I have a job on computers also I know that feeling. I need other activities like learn playing piano and jogging, and that the reason Rodin releases pace is so slow.

I am curious about your computer chess career. How much have you been developing engines? Did you build others before Onno?

Best regards,
Fermin
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Post by kinderchocolate »

Will you open source the engine so that at least someone could continue your project and it won't be a waste?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

There might be more interest for someone to develop it further if you keep the source closed. People that want to further develop open sources under the GPL can already do so at their heart's content, so why would they pick Onno?
Tom Barrister

Post by Tom Barrister »

hgm wrote:There might be more interest for someone to develop it further if you keep the source closed. People that want to further develop open sources under the GPL can already do so at their heart's content, so why would they pick Onno?
From what I understand, Mr. Garms used several innovative techniques (or whatever technical terms you want to use). There might be much to learn from that.
This production is being brought to you by Rybka: "The engine made from scratch.™"
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Post by kinderchocolate »

I'm actually very interested in how he applied software engineering approaches to his chess engine.