Critter 1.0 available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Don

Re: Critter 1.0 available

Post by Don »

rvida wrote:
Don wrote: Is there any way to get a linux 64 bit version?
I would be very happy to provide a linux build, I see there are a lot of people who would appreciate it, but I'm afraid it could take quite some time...

Not long ago I was able to compile my sources with gcc/linux, but something went wrong with my SMP code and the binary always crashed with more than 1 thread.

I made a quick test with GCC + Critter 1.0 and apart of some warnings it did compile without errors, but it does crash with the first 'go' command (even single-threaded)

Now here is my plan:
1 - make it compile with GCC under Windows [done]
2 - get rid of any warnings even with -Wall
3 - make the GCC-compiled binary work as intended (same node count in start position with 1 thread)
4 - boot into Ubuntu / compile with gcc / learn how to use gdb
5 - find out what's wrong with the SMP code

If everything fails, I will consider sending my sources to someone with more experience with linux+gcc for advice and/or a working binary...

Richard
If there is anything I can do to help let me know. Do you have a linux machine to use?

Don
rvida

Post by rvida »

Don wrote:
If there is anything I can do to help let me know.
Don
Actually I would appreciate a recommendation of a decent linux IDE. I am not very fond of the command-line based interface of gdb. I am kind of 'spoiled' by Microsoft's VS.

(Now I cannot recall how I had managed to write and debug Z80 machine code 20 years ago... I guess we made less bugs back then ;))
Don wrote: Do you have a linux machine to use?
Don
I have a dual core PhenomII notebook with Ubuntu v10.

Richard
rvida

Post by rvida »

mcostalba wrote:
rvida wrote: Not long ago I was able to compile my sources with gcc/linux, but something went wrong with my SMP code and the binary always crashed with more than 1 thread.
If you use CRITICAL_SECTION, then be warned that locking semantic is different with pthreads that are more similar to Windows's SRWLOCK (see SF's lock.h file).
Thanks for the tip.

Btw I already use a lot of C++ voodoo to hide bloody details of OS dependent stuff.
Don

Post by Don »

rvida wrote:
Don wrote:
Don
Actually I would appreciate a recommendation of a decent linux IDE. I am not very fond of the command-line based interface of gdb. I am kind of 'spoiled' by Microsoft's VS.

(Now I cannot recall how I had managed to write and debug Z80 machine code 20 years ago... I guess we made less bugs back then ;))
Don

Richard
Hi Richard,

I never use IDE so I cannot help you here. If you get the MP working and you want to experiment I can give you temporary access to a 6 core i7-980x. If you want to experiment with the compiler as opposed to just doing a few tests I can try to set up an encrypted home directory for you - which will make the sources inaccessible to everyone including myself.

Don
Ralph Stoesser

Post by Ralph Stoesser »

rvida wrote:
Don wrote:
Don

Don

Richard
Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers might be worth a look. Complex, feature-rich, highly configurable. Not 100% bug free, but reasonable stable. For smaller projects and non-OO code I still prefer the ultra stable vi.
UncombedCoconut

Post by UncombedCoconut »

For C++ development I've been pretty happy with Code::Blocks. (It has the disadvantage of being completely useless for other languages.) I have heard quite a bit of praise for NetBeans and KDevelop, but haven't tried either yet.

Iff you expect to spend a significant amount of time in a Linux IDE, you might want to try CMake as a build system. It can generate project files for many different IDEs from a simple text file, which means you can easily switch away from an IDE if you realize you hate it.

I'm writing with a bias against Anjuta (I hated the version I tried, but that was several years ago) and Geany (which probably deserves a mention but is not an integrated development environment).

@Ralph: I really hope you meant a version of vim configured to your tastes. I couldn't understand tolerating other vi versions unless I spent most of my life in remote shells. :)
Evert

Post by Evert »

UncombedCoconut wrote: Iff you expect to spend a significant amount of time in a Linux IDE, you might want to try CMake as a build system. It can generate project files for many different IDEs from a simple text file, which means you can easily switch away from an IDE if you realize you hate it.
+1 for using CMake, although I'd recommend it for quite a different reason: you can write a CMake script, and you can then use that to generate a build option for (at least) Windows, Linux and OS X. It can generate UNIX-style Makefiles or MSVC-style project files (although I don't know of what quality).
I do my development on OS X, but thanks to CMake, I can easily compile things on Linux or Windows.
@Ralph: I really hope you meant a version of vim configured to your tastes. I couldn't understand tolerating other vi versions unless I spent most of my life in remote shells. :)
It's true that vim >> vi, but speaking for myself, I've probably become de-sensitised enough that I'd prefer plain vi over a fancy IDE I'm unfamiliar with. :P
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

rvida wrote: Actually I would appreciate a recommendation of a decent linux IDE. I am not very fond of the command-line based interface of gdb. I am kind of 'spoiled' by Microsoft's VS.
QtCreator is the best by far for me. It is even cross platform and I use it for both Windows and Linux.

Actually I use MSVC Express on Windows to compile, and make on Linux, but to develop I use QtCreator because I can "see" the code better then with other editors.
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

rvida wrote:Actually I would appreciate a recommendation of a decent linux IDE.
Check out NetBeans, which I've only ever used for Java (it does have mature C++ support though), and it is very easy to use and has a lot of functionality.

Peter
Jaap Weidemann

Post by Jaap Weidemann »

mcostalba wrote:
rvida wrote: Actually I would appreciate a recommendation of a decent linux IDE. I am not very fond of the command-line based interface of gdb. I am kind of 'spoiled' by Microsoft's VS.
QtCreator
Agreed.