Critter 1.0 available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rabbits

Re: Critter 1.0 available

Post by rabbits »

Hi Richard (Or anyone else who knows the procedure)
Once I download Critter how do I get it up and running? I have Rybka 4, Shredder, and Chessmaster 10 on my computer.
Thanks Allan
ppetrov

Post by ppetrov »

rvida wrote:Actually I would appreciate a recommendation of a decent linux IDE. I am not very fond of the command-line based interface of gdb. I am kind of 'spoiled' by Microsoft's VS.
Eclipse CDT is very powerful. The Eclipse interface can be intimidating at first, but is in no way inferior to MS VisualStudio once you get used to it. Plus, it's cross-platform and cross-language.

QtCreator is the way if you only care about C++ and don't want to learn Eclipse.

Regarding the multithreading crashes on Linux: I suppose you are aware that POSIX condition variables have very different semantics from WinAPI event objects. They can also wakeup spuriously, so you need to guard against that.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Hi Richard. Would it be possible to recompile the gtb32.dll and gtb64.dll files to use the latest Gaviota tablebase probing code (version 0.4)? There's a bug in previous versions of the code to do with en passant captures, that causes problems in positions like this:

[D]8/7p/6p1/6P1/5K1k/8/8/8 b - -

When using tablebases, Critter wants to play 1... h5?
rvida

Post by rvida »

tmokonen wrote:Hi Richard. Would it be possible to recompile the gtb32.dll and gtb64.dll files to use the latest Gaviota tablebase probing code (version 0.4)?
Yes, that was the point of separating TB access code into dlls. After updating them to v0.4, the fix will work for both Critter 0.90 and Critter 1.00 without touching the executables.

Updated package will be available in 2-3 days.

Richard
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Excellent, thank you Richard.
mhalstern

Post by mhalstern »

Thanks,

It is amazing how much better free software support is than paid software sunpport!
brinan
Full name: bri nan

Post by brinan »

rvida wrote:[...](Now I cannot recall how I had managed to write and debug Z80 machine code 20 years ago...[...]
Now that brings back memories... of THIRTY years ago!
Click on www button for all event details and games.
News can be received automatically by subscribing to my RSS feed (click on icon near top).