iPad Chess Experience...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve Maughan

iPad Chess Experience...

Post by Steve Maughan »

I finally got my hands on an iPad earlier today. Stockfish was one of the first applications I loaded.

What can I say. Playing chess on the iPad is simply an amazing experience. The large display means you can see much more analysis and information when playing. And the tactile feel of the touch screen makes entering moves seem completely natural. This is the best platform I've come across for playing and studying chess.

Also big thanks to Tord and the Stockfish team - they have created a wonderful GUI (and engine).

I don't have shares in Apple but if you have the opportunity to get your hands on one of these devices I'd highly recommend you give it a go.

Tactile regards,

Steve
Kempelen

Re: iPad Chess Experience...

Post by Kempelen »

anyone with a samsung tab or other similar devices has a good experience with chess applicacions?
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

Kempelen wrote:anyone with a samsung tab or other similar devices has a good experience with chess applicacions?
Droidfish (Stockfish 2.0) is (imo) the best free chess app for Android devices.

For Chess for Android (also free) some UCI engines (Robbolito 085, Stockfish 2.0, Toga 2 and Ivanhoe999947) are available, but it does not support pondering and the opening library seems to be small (openings are just 8 plies deep) The author says, it is under construction...

Considering paid apps: Shredder should be fine, Chess Genius is also available
bretti

Post by bretti »

For "Chess for Android" have a look here:
http://www.aartbik.com/MISC/uchess.html
It looks nice and you can run every UCI-engine compiled for Android and use table bases (Nalimov) from SD-card!
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Steve Maughan wrote:I finally got my hands on an iPad earlier today.
Sweet. Did you get the new or the old version? I have the old version, and am mostly happy with it, except that it should have had a little more RAM (especially for web browsing).
Stockfish was one of the first applications I loaded.

What can I say. Playing chess on the iPad is simply an amazing experience. The large display means you can see much more analysis and information when playing. And the tactile feel of the touch screen makes entering moves seem completely natural. This is the best platform I've come across for playing and studying chess.

Also big thanks to Tord and the Stockfish team - they have created a wonderful GUI (and engine).
Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

It would have been much better if it was designed for the iPad from the ground up, but considering that the engine was designed for fast 64-bit CPUs and the GUI is just a hacked-up version of an iPhone app, I'm quite pleased by how it works.

By the way, I new version (2.4) is available on the App Store since this morning. I've fixed the broken node counters and the bug that made the "Strength" scroller start out at the wrong location, and added a new tappable move list for quickly jumping to a new location in the game.

Tord
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Tord Romstad wrote: By the way, I new version (2.4) is available on the App Store since this morning. I've fixed the broken node counters and the bug that made the "Strength" scroller start out at the wrong location, and added a new tappable move list for quickly jumping to a new location in the game.
Are the sources available somewhere ?

Thanks
Marco
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Hi Tord,

I've got the new iPad 2. And yes I've upgraded to Stockfish version 2.4 - many thanks.

On the new iPad 2 the nps seem quite high - much faster than my iPod touch. This will be due to the faster processor and dual core in the new iPads. From the starting positions I'm getting ~280 knps, which isn't at all bad. This means it's completing the 20 ply search in 51 seconds.

Thanks again,

Steve
Dan Andersson

Post by Dan Andersson »

I have both DroidFish and Chess for Android on my Archos 70. Work without a hitch. The tablet sports a 1GHz TI OMAP3630 so it zips along nicely :)

MvH Dan Andersson
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Steve Maughan wrote:Hi Tord,

I've got the new iPad 2. And yes I've upgraded to Stockfish version 2.4 - many thanks.

On the new iPad 2 the nps seem quite high - much faster than my iPod touch. This will be due to the faster processor and dual core in the new iPads. From the starting positions I'm getting ~280 knps, which isn't at all bad. This means it's completing the 20 ply search in 51 seconds.

Thanks again,

Steve
The new processor on ipad 2 is much faster than ipod touch 4.StockFish max's out at 84 kNs and takes 4:15 to get to D=20.Hope the next gen iphone will have similar specs, but maybe underclocked.