ChessBase news goes mainstream – with new commercial design

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Re: ChessBase news goes mainstream – with new commercial des

Post by Sean Evans »

Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Ok I am feeling rather stupid...... :oops:
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Nimzovik wrote:Ok I am feeling rather stupid...... :oops:
Nah.... It is just a prank, and nothing to get worked up over. :)

CNN published an article on some others that made the rounds.

If it helps, Mark Crowther, the editor of TWIC said he fell "hook, line + sinker" for this one.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Thanks! :D I feel better now!
shiv

Post by shiv »

Albert Silver wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
gerold wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:01.04.2011 :P
:wink:
8-)
:mrgreen:

But hopefully they've really abandoned the popups... I have Adblock Plus but it doesn't stop them by default.
FWIW, the popups are not gone, and are a hard necessity. They also only appear once per day, per browser (AFAIK). My Firefox won't show them at all, but they do show in others such as Opera, IE, and Chrome. The thing is that they generate revenue, and the News page is a pure loss deal in terms of money spent. There is no ad revenue, yet money is spent on articles, editing, pictures (when we have to go through certain resources), etc.
Not true in my experience. I use firefox for example and see the ad. I then close firefox and reopen to see the ad again. It does not create a unique visitor id per user which gets refreshed everyday. Why not just put the ad to the side?

Its easy to remove the ad altogether using greasemonkey or by telling your browser via a plugin to ignore certain divs. However, I am wondering why the ad shows up in the first place? The more popups that are shown to me, the less likely I am to buy anything.