To Hell with Private Engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: To Hell with Private Engines

Post by bob »

rbarreira wrote:
bob wrote:
rbarreira wrote:It's their engine, they can do whatever they want with it.
So they can steal source, then do whatever they want? This is happening in a _bunch_ of cases today...
If they only use it privately and don't distribute it, why not?

Reverse engineering and hacking of software is legal for self-study purposes as far as I know... and I think that it should be.
Shoot, I'm going to steal a 60" 3D LED tv. I'm only going to use it in my own home, for my own personal use, so that would seem to be OK...
Larry

Post by Larry »

mephisto wrote:Hi Fern
Like the photo of you and Diana Ross :D
Motown Regards
Bryan
That ain't Diana Ross, it's Whitney Houston, you fool. :lol:
LH
Growth is the problem; not the solution
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Larry wrote:
Motown Regards
Bryan
LH
And here I was thinking it was Oprah! :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

bob wrote:
rbarreira wrote:
bob wrote:
So they can steal source, then do whatever they want? This is happening in a _bunch_ of cases today...

Reverse engineering and hacking of software is legal for self-study purposes as far as I know... and I think that it should be.
Shoot, I'm going to steal a 60" 3D LED tv. I'm only going to use it in my own home, for my own personal use, so that would seem to be OK...
By the same argument, Bob, you'd ban your students from ever photocopying anything at all out of a book for their own personal use. Just what do you think the photocopiers in university libraries are for?
Marek Soszynski
De Vos W

Post by De Vos W »

fern wrote:If they are so private, keep them inside drawers and not send them to tournaments.
With so many generous guys overthere giving his engines for free and dicussing openly his work, these private-men type of guys sounds a note of secrecy, meaness and....go to hell, I wanted to have that rick 48 thing!!!!!

fern
Someone's boring me. I think it's you...
let's have some new cliches.
Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
rodolfoleoni

Post by rodolfoleoni »

bob wrote:
I cannot agree with you. If I'm managing to learn how to program better, I can borrow open sources and I can make experiments with them. I can take Stockfish and Crafty and I can build some kind of Craftyfish. As far as it remains a private work, I see nothing wrong with that.

A different case is when private engines partecipate at official tournaments. I think none of them could be defined a clone. I don't know what's the strongest private engine, but I think it's far weaker than top engines. So, no clue of cloning.

As a member of a private engine team, I can assure author is working hard since several years to get some +ELO.
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)
rbarreira

Post by rbarreira »

bob wrote:
rbarreira wrote:
bob wrote:

So how does one "steal" an engine in that sense? I guess you would have to retrieve the source code and then delete all the other copies that the author can get to (otherwise it's not "stealing", it's "copying").

I suppose you're not saying that everyone who downloads Crafty from your website is stealing it. The word "steal" has no relevance here.

A better analogy would be that you *buy* a TV (or get one for free if they are giving them away) and then you change the hardware inside for your own fun and study. This is perfectly legal and acceptable (at most you'd lose your warranty).
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Graham Banks wrote:
Larry wrote:
Motown Regards
Bryan
LH
And here I was thinking it was Oprah! :wink:
Shit, I thought it was my wife! :lol:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Tom Barrister »

If it's their work, yes. However, I agree that tournament officials should require that the source be available to a tournament judge or judges, in any case that cash prizes are involved. I realize that analyzing source is a pain, but cheaters have made that necessary.
rodolfoleoni wrote:Would you ban engines like The Baron from computer chess, just because it's a private work?
No, but I'd require that source be made available as above. That's the way I would handle it, and others may not agree.
rbarreira wrote: Reverse engineering and hacking of software is legal for self-study purposes as far as I know... and I think that it should be.
In the United States and most other countries, if the license forbids such, it's not legal for any reason except by court order. The laws of some countries may differ.
Marek Soszynski wrote: By the same argument, Bob, you'd ban your students from ever photocopying anything at all out of a book for their own personal use. Just what do you think the photocopiers in university libraries are for?
In most countries, there's a law permitting LIMITED copying of printed media for purposes such as commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching or scholarship. Note the word "limited". The same exceptions are generally non-applicable or stricter on digital (e.g. audio/visual) media, and they don't, as a rule, apply to software if the license doesn't permit such.
This production is being brought to you by Rybka: "The engine made from scratch.™"
rbarreira

Post by rbarreira »

Tom Barrister wrote:
rbarreira wrote: Reverse engineering and hacking of software is legal for self-study purposes as far as I know... and I think that it should be.
In the United States and most other countries, if the license forbids such, it's not legal for any reason except by court order. The laws of some countries may differ.
Do you have a source for this? I know that licenses often say thing like "you can't reverse engineer this", but that doesn't mean it's not legal to do... Often these licenses are unenforceable AFAIK.