Chess on the Ipad Revisited

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

wolfv

Chess on the Ipad Revisited

Post by wolfv »

I've decided to describe some of my experiences with chess applications on the Ipad, hoping to help some people decide whether to buy the device :-).

The inevitable finally happened: I have jumped on the bandwagon and bought an Ipad. One of the reasons to shell out the money was the recent cutdown on the prices of the Ipad and the other was that I had come to realize that the Ipad was almost perfect for my beloved hobby - playing chess, either against a computer program or against people on the Internet servers. The incredible human interface that "extends" your body in a very literal sense through smudges and fast finger movement is just perfect for playing chess on the tablet. Anyway, here are some of the things that I've experienced so far (after about two weeks with the Ipad):

The best program to play chess on FICS and/or ICC is IchessPack HD, a fast, stable and graphically pleasing application. It has a console and you can really chat with your opponent, has well chosen sounds and several nice boards and pieces you can choose from. I also bought Shredder Ipad International and Shredder for Ipad (by mistake as the first seemed not to be downloading for a long time so I ordered the other one, and it turned out to be one and the same program :-(), Chess Genius (had to have it if for nothing else than for sentimental reasons), Tom Kerrigan's t-chess for Ipad (a very nice and nifty little program that plays great chess and can be set up to play at your strength), Chess Wise Pro (a playing program and a database for your pgn selections). I also have Chess Tiger! :) that has turned out to be my pet program on the Ipad. I tried it at its highest level playing blitz with a tiny increment (3 + 1). Of course I had no idea what I was in for ---- slaughter, to say the least. As I am an attacking player and like to play a tactical game at blitz so is Chess Tiger, but it is a lot stronger than I and I simply had no chance. Then I started lowering its strength and am currently battling it out with Chess Tiger set at 1800, and enjoyng every minute. I had had another tiny Chess Tiger for my Palm and it was a great opponent, but then the passage of time ruined my Palm and Chess Tiger is no more, too bad. This time it has been reborn with some diabolical powers, its play is incredibly human-like and the interface is just beautiful. If you really wish to find a great chess opponent that makes you sad, cheerful, exuberant or depressive, a program that you want to shake hands with or yell at, get Chess Tiger for the Ipad :-). Back in 2001 or 2002, in the good old days of yore and intellectual honesty it was Chess Tiger that I wrote about with whoops of joy and claimed to be the best program ever. And, finally, I downloaded for free the monster, the ultimate calculating opponent that I only bow before and sometimes dare for opinion about a position. The oracle I am talking about is Stockfish for the Ipad -- beautifully done interface, devilishly strong engine. I don't thinkt that I will ever match up any engines on the Ipad, they are there to play against not to test them. I think that I'll always give the nod to Chess Tiger, it is my dream program, especially with my fingers playing the moves, just like in real chess, and I can enjoy matching wits with its crafty purposeful play. Chess Tiger actually reminds me a lot of a chess friend of mine, an FM master that I used to play a lot some time ago (by the way I am not exactly a patzer, my current FICS rating is above 2000 blitz).

I've had only two grudges so far in my chessic experiences with the Ipad: the first disappointment was Magnus's Online Chess client that you supposedly can use to play on FICS (about 3 euros). I downloaded the app and it was not usable at all, it simply wouldn't budge and was stuck at the opening screen telling me that it was 'connecting to FICS'. This screen lasted forever. I tried everything to revive it, I removed it, downloaded it again, etc. No go. My Wifi is really fast and all other apps run just fine. I have no idea how to lodge my complaint and to whom as I haven't found the proper email address. But I firmly believe that the fact that this program is marketed by Itunes is a scandal as the program does not do anything it advertises.... The other minor disappointment is that Shredderchess support never replied to my query about the Shredder app that I paid for twice. I do beleve that it was I who made the mistake but I should have received at least some kind of explanation.

At the end of the day I am very pleased with chess on my Ipad :-).
----------

Djordje
Cubeman

Re: Chess on the Ipad Revisited

Post by Cubeman »

I have the normal ipod touch versions of these programs that you have got for ipad, as I have not got around to deciding if I need or can justify having both.My only gripe with the online iChess Pack is the limited graphical choices and no ability to review a game you just played with the built in engine.I have Magnus Online chess and have no problems connecting over Wi-Fi connection, about 10 seconds is all that is needed to get online.ChessBase are meant to be developing an application for iOS which will enable Playchess connection.
wolfv

Post by wolfv »

Alex, thanks for the feedback. It just may be that Magnus's Online app runs fine only on the IPhone and the IPod but has quirks or bugs on the IPad? Interestingly enough it works and freezes only in the light version, when you play as a guest. Even then, after a finished game it hangs. Shouldn't have bee advertised for the IPad...
----------

Djordje
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hello my friend,

at first, thanks for your interesting message!

nice to read Djordje again in TalkChess.
It seems that you find out a new part of our Hobby.

End of the last year I install on my 624 MHz Samsung Handy different Pocket PC programs. But I lost my interest very fast because all is to small and normaly I don't like Handys. I used my Handy only for chess :-)

Honest, never I try out the new IPhone / IPad. I believe I will lost very fast my interest too.

For myself is Hiarcs engine of a modern chess computer very interesting, but very expensive. I read about it in Talkchess and perhaps end of the year I will buy such an computer.

But all in all ...
I can understand that for many "computer chess lovers" the new generation of IPhone / IPad is interesting.

But for computer chess I have many PCs. Out of my home with maximal 8 hours rechargeable batteries I can't start a long time analyzes. The main problem I think.

I wish me that chess computers will get a comeback. It must be possible to produce a 500 EUR chess computer with a 2 GHz processor. I hope of Novag!

Friendly
Frank

Regards from Lisa too!
wolfv

Post by wolfv »

Dear Frank, I agree that a dedicated chess computer would be fantastic on today's HW. Even an Atom CPU would do fine, and it uses only 4 watts. However, there is no real commercial interest for such comeback :-(. Best regards to you and Lisa!
----------

Djordje