When will the SSDF Swedish rating chess computer come out?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jplchess

Post by jplchess »

The last one was 6 months ago.

Jonathan Lee
Mike S.

Re: When will the SSDF Swedish rating chess computer come ou

Post by Mike S. »

SSDF is history, and I am afraid, CCRL is history too. Which is a pity because the "data mining" quality of the CCRL statistical pages is unmatched.

CEGT remains, and IPON which is a one man business so to speak.

As for the required technical knowledge, providing a decent computer chess rating list is not difficult. But it requires a decent amount of money (for hardware, mainly) and time. I could do it anytime if it would guarantee a solid, safe income :mrgreen: (not in the luxury category!)
Regards, Mike
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Mike S. wrote:
SSDF is history, and I am afraid, CCRL is history too....

HORRORS!!!!!!!!! :shock: This can't be happening :!:
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Mike S. wrote:SSDF is history, and I am afraid, CCRL is history too. Which is a pity because the "data mining" quality of the CCRL statistical pages is unmatched.

As for the required technical knowledge, providing a decent computer chess rating list is not difficult. But it requires a decent amount of money (for hardware, mainly) and time. I could do it anytime if it would guarantee a solid, safe income :mrgreen: (not in the luxury category!)
I must have missed these announcements. SSDF continues to operate, as does CCRL. SSDF is the only active list testing the portables at the moment, and CCRL, well, they publish as always.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Albert Silver wrote:
Mike S. wrote:SSDF is history, and I am afraid, CCRL is history too. Which is a pity because the "data mining" quality of the CCRL statistical pages is unmatched.

I must have missed these announcements. SSDF continues to operate, as does CCRL. SSDF is the only active list testing the portables at the moment, and CCRL, well, they publish as always.
I must have missed something too. :lol:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

Computer chess friends, do NOT panic! If CCRL ever fail us, we still have LCCRL as a backup plan!

LCCRL: http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... 15&t=51526
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
kranium

Post by kranium »

Good riddance to both!

They have done so much harm to computer chess, the right thing to do is simply bow out now gracefully.
The alternative is 'go down with the ship', as Graham seems to have chosen.

For many years, highly significant evidence and doubt had existed over the legitimacy of Rybka...yet these 'amateur' good old boys clubs (sorry, I mean 'misguided testing organizations') have stubbornly and steadfastly denied it, ignored it, put their heads in the sand, twisted facts, and manufactured one lame excuse after another in an effort to maintain their misbegotten stature.

There has not been a shred of evidence presented that Ippolit is 'dirty'...yet there exists overwhelming evidence that Rybka in fact 'is' dirty.

Everyone seems to realize that now...everyone except the CCRL and CEGT?

These guys have been legitimizing and promoting Rybka for years, while at the same time ridiculing and damaging engines like Robbo, Ivanhoe, Fire, etc.,...without a scrap of evidence! (except for Vas's word?!).

It's despicable behavior...well, I realize it's hard to give up the addiction: power, attention, influence, and prestige...but what about fairness and unbiased reports?

I sincerely hope the corrupt 'undue influence' party of last 5 years is over....

All three of these misguided, unknowledgeable, ego-centric 'amateur w/ benefits' organizations should be blacklisted if possible and boycotted by all who care about correct, unbiased, and accurate Chess engine testing.

Norm
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Le gasp! Is what Norman said true? Is this the predominant concensus? :shock:
jplchess

Post by jplchess »

jplchess wrote:When will the SSDF Swedish rating chess computer come out?
The last one was 6 months ago
Jonathan Lee

Make that 7 months ago.

I anticipate Rybka 4 will be 3240 SSDF and Houdini 1.5 3270 SSDF on a 2.4 GHZ computer.

Any predictions?
Jonathan Lee
IWB

Post by IWB »

Hi Mike,

Even if Ihave to agree with many things you have wrote here, I disagree with the "decent amount of money, for hardware mainly" (or time) or at least with the implicaion that it is difficult to get that much money! Many people have that money (suprising, but true!)

Ok, in absolut money the setup for the ipon is a lot, but if you look how much some people pay for a "single" computer, wich is less than double as fast as one comp playing for the IPON but 6 times as expensive, it would be easy to play a lot of IPON list ... if the people want to do that.

Unfortunately the people want to have individual high ratings on ... playchess. They want to be high rollers and are not iterested in beeing average guys :-)! High ratings on a virtual server somewhere in the world, that is what counts. (But their comps are cheaper than a big car to impress girls ;-) )

Anyhow ... computerchess is a relative young "business" and I am sure lists will come and go, thats the nature of things.

Bye
Ingo

PS: I disagre with the datamining as well. Different hardware, different books, different times adapted on ONE benchmark, low number of games, individuals with interests (as myself!) ... guess why I started to publish my list ... !

PPS: The IPON might go earlier then later!