is hiarcs a slow searcher

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ozziejoe

is hiarcs a slow searcher

Post by ozziejoe »

hi folks,

i know engines differ a great deal in terms of knowledge and speed of search, and speed isn't everything. I've been comparing hiarcs to stockfish, and it looks to me that hiarcs is much slower to get to a particular depth, but its evaluation seems a little more accurate (similar to stockfish at greater depth). any truth to this. If you were to rank top engines in terms of speed, which would be the slowest engine (e.g., to get to a depth of 20 in a particular position).
Osipov Jury

Re: is hiarcs a slow searcher

Post by Osipov Jury »

10-12 years ago I decompiled the old versions of Fritz and Hiarcs. Fritz was the most optimized for speed, had a very simple evaluation function and a very high speed of search. Evaluation function of Hiarcs was more complicated, and the speed of about 3 times lower.
I went through the Rybka code forwards and backwards and took many things.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Osipov Jury wrote:10-12 years ago I decompiled the old versions of Fritz and Hiarcs. Fritz was the most optimized for speed, had a very simple evaluation function and a very high speed of search. Evaluation function of Hiarcs was more complicated, and the speed of about 3 times lower.
My man :D

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
jmartus

Post by jmartus »

could u make fritz uci compatible? :)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

jmartus wrote:could u make fritz uci compatible? :)
:lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
mhalstern

Post by mhalstern »

C'mon can't one of the brilliant programmers here hack the chessbase *.eng format!