Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Sean Evans
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: Canada

Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Post by Sean Evans » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:48 am

Boston.com: Chess notes
Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously on line. He wisely declines to play a computer. We have noted that Hikaru Nakamura, the young US grandmaster, who is a potential challenger of Carlsen for world dominance, has made disparaging remarks about the computer. The computer relies to some extent on probabilities, and Nakamura says his second, Kris Littlejohn, advises him when the computer’s choice of moves is wrong. In any event, players must find the answers on their own.

Albert Silver
Posts: 2969
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Post by Albert Silver » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:43 pm

Sean Evans wrote:Boston.com: Chess notes
Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously on line. He wisely declines to play a computer. We have noted that Hikaru Nakamura, the young US grandmaster, who is a potential challenger of Carlsen for world dominance, has made disparaging remarks about the computer. The computer relies to some extent on probabilities, and Nakamura says his second, Kris Littlejohn, advises him when the computer’s choice of moves is wrong. In any event, players must find the answers on their own.
Him, Kasparov, Anand, etc. Nothing new really.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."

Roger Brown
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:22 pm

Re: Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Post by Roger Brown » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Albert Silver wrote:
Him, Kasparov, Anand, etc. Nothing new really.

Hello Albert,

Actually I am curious about this point. Being at the opposite end of the scale from persons like yourself, what possible benefit could you - or the GM's listed - obtain from playing dozens of persons like myself online? That would be the chess equivalent of dumbing it down, wouldn't it?

:-)

Later.

Albert Silver
Posts: 2969
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Post by Albert Silver » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:37 pm

Roger Brown wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Him, Kasparov, Anand, etc. Nothing new really.

Hello Albert,

Actually I am curious about this point. Being at the opposite end of the scale from persons like yourself, what possible benefit could you - or the GM's listed - obtain from playing dozens of persons like myself online? That would be the chess equivalent of dumbing it down, wouldn't it?

:-)

Later.
The fact that they play anonymously (to the general public) doesn't mean they are taking on anonymous players. I have seen GK take on a number of top players, some of whom are also 'anonymous', though I cannot guarantee they knew it was him.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."

Ant_Gugdin
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:13 pm

Re: Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Post by Ant_Gugdin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Can GK still beat top 10 players? :)

yanquis1972
Posts: 1766
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Re: Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Post by yanquis1972 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:42 pm

Albert Silver wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Him, Kasparov, Anand, etc. Nothing new really.

Hello Albert,

Actually I am curious about this point. Being at the opposite end of the scale from persons like yourself, what possible benefit could you - or the GM's listed - obtain from playing dozens of persons like myself online? That would be the chess equivalent of dumbing it down, wouldn't it?

:-)

Later.
The fact that they play anonymously (to the general public) doesn't mean they are taking on anonymous players. I have seen GK take on a number of top players, some of whom are also 'anonymous', though I cannot guarantee they knew it was him.
i assume he doesn't play as a guest, but under an anonymous username/usernames, is that correct?

Albert Silver
Posts: 2969
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:57 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Post by Albert Silver » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:06 am

yanquis1972 wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Him, Kasparov, Anand, etc. Nothing new really.

Hello Albert,

Actually I am curious about this point. Being at the opposite end of the scale from persons like yourself, what possible benefit could you - or the GM's listed - obtain from playing dozens of persons like myself online? That would be the chess equivalent of dumbing it down, wouldn't it?

:-)

Later.
The fact that they play anonymously (to the general public) doesn't mean they are taking on anonymous players. I have seen GK take on a number of top players, some of whom are also 'anonymous', though I cannot guarantee they knew it was him.
i assume he doesn't play as a guest, but under an anonymous username/usernames, is that correct?
Right, they simply do not identify themselves for who they are, and put aliases and the like. It is nothing new. Several of Kasparov's older aliases are common knowledge nowadays.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."

wims
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:49 pm

Re: Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Post by wims » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:54 am

There's a story about Nigel Short playing somebody supposed to be Bobby Fischer online in a series of anonymous games -> http://www.bobby-fischer.net/Bobby_Fisc ... les51.html

stevenaaus
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:44 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Post by stevenaaus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:01 am

Thanks for that link... Very interesting.

Ant_Gugdin
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:13 pm

Re: Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Post by Ant_Gugdin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:44 pm

It wasn't Fischer. It was someone using a programme. Fischer denied it was him in a radio interview.

Post Reply