Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Post by Sean Evans »

Boston.com: Chess notes
Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously on line. He wisely declines to play a computer. We have noted that Hikaru Nakamura, the young US grandmaster, who is a potential challenger of Carlsen for world dominance, has made disparaging remarks about the computer. The computer relies to some extent on probabilities, and Nakamura says his second, Kris Littlejohn, advises him when the computer’s choice of moves is wrong. In any event, players must find the answers on their own.
Albert Silver

Re: Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously online

Post by Albert Silver »

Sean Evans wrote:Boston.com: Chess notes
Carlsen plays thousands of games anonymously on line. He wisely declines to play a computer. We have noted that Hikaru Nakamura, the young US grandmaster, who is a potential challenger of Carlsen for world dominance, has made disparaging remarks about the computer. The computer relies to some extent on probabilities, and Nakamura says his second, Kris Littlejohn, advises him when the computer’s choice of moves is wrong. In any event, players must find the answers on their own.
Him, Kasparov, Anand, etc. Nothing new really.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Albert Silver wrote:

Hello Albert,

Actually I am curious about this point. Being at the opposite end of the scale from persons like yourself, what possible benefit could you - or the GM's listed - obtain from playing dozens of persons like myself online? That would be the chess equivalent of dumbing it down, wouldn't it?

:-)

Later.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Roger Brown wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Hello Albert,

Actually I am curious about this point. Being at the opposite end of the scale from persons like yourself, what possible benefit could you - or the GM's listed - obtain from playing dozens of persons like myself online? That would be the chess equivalent of dumbing it down, wouldn't it?

Later.
The fact that they play anonymously (to the general public) doesn't mean they are taking on anonymous players. I have seen GK take on a number of top players, some of whom are also 'anonymous', though I cannot guarantee they knew it was him.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Ant_Gugdin

Post by Ant_Gugdin »

Can GK still beat top 10 players? :)
yanquis1972

Post by yanquis1972 »

Albert Silver wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Hello Albert,

Later.
The fact that they play anonymously (to the general public) doesn't mean they are taking on anonymous players. I have seen GK take on a number of top players, some of whom are also 'anonymous', though I cannot guarantee they knew it was him.
i assume he doesn't play as a guest, but under an anonymous username/usernames, is that correct?
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

yanquis1972 wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Hello Albert,

Later.
i assume he doesn't play as a guest, but under an anonymous username/usernames, is that correct?
Right, they simply do not identify themselves for who they are, and put aliases and the like. It is nothing new. Several of Kasparov's older aliases are common knowledge nowadays.
wims

Post by wims »

There's a story about Nigel Short playing somebody supposed to be Bobby Fischer online in a series of anonymous games -> http://www.bobby-fischer.net/Bobby_Fisc ... les51.html
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Thanks for that link... Very interesting.
Ant_Gugdin

Post by Ant_Gugdin »

It wasn't Fischer. It was someone using a programme. Fischer denied it was him in a radio interview.