Rybka 4 beaten blindfold by neurosurgeon

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Rybka 4 beaten blindfold by neurosurgeon

Post by zullil »

Uri Blass wrote: proving that he does not remember 30 million digits of PI is easy

choose 1000 random numbers 1-30,000,000 and test him if he can write the digits in the relevant 1000 places.
I seem to recall that it is possible to calculate any specified digit of pi without knowledge of any of the preceding digits. I don't recall the complexity of the calculation, and I seem to think one typically works in base 16!
Onno Garms

Post by Onno Garms »

I also think this is a delayed April Fool's joke.

However, if a neurosurgeon is crazy enough, he might have a developed a way to combine a cochlear implant with a communication device and make it possible to hide the whole thing in his skull. Scary idea. Wonder if he can repeat the trick when not playing blindfold, i.e. without the moves being announced.

EDIT: Did anybody check the moves of the neurosurgeon for matches with moves of Houdini?
Last edited by Onno Garms on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

His claim is actually 200 million based on his wiki page. The world rankings do not list him but the top guy there can recite about 70000 digits
http://pi-world-ranking-list.com/lists/memo/index.html
rbarreira

Post by rbarreira »

Onno Garms wrote:I also think this is a delayed April Fool's joke.

However, if a neurosurgeon is crazy enough, he might have a developed a way to combine a cochlear implant with a communication device and make it possible to hide the whole thing in his skull. Scary idea. Wonder if he can repeat the trick when not playing blindfold, i.e. without the moves being announced.
If he keeps coming up with more and more unbelievable feats, your idea might become the most plausible explanation...
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

With enough time and effort and a large budget, I am sure someone could design a system that would pass all scrutiny and still allow some form of electronic device to be used. The data transfer required for chess moves or for knowing pi numbers is not that much. Just like some magicians can make buildings or passenger airliners "disappear convincingly" in front of you... I am sure that beating R4 or remembering pi numbers is not much more difficult.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Father wrote:Thank you Graham!!
:D :D :idea: :idea: 8-) 8-)
It seems Father that your exploits are now surpassed, no longer will your posts match those of this topic.From now on if ever the world needs to defeat the aliens in a game of chess I now choose this neuro-surgeon.
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

Is it possible he just memorized a game that was a win against Rybka without book, and then reproduced it? Do people actually think an unrated player did this without a trick?

-Sam
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

BubbaTough wrote:Is it possible he just memorized a game that was a win against Rybka without book, and then reproduced it? Do people actually think an unrated player did this without a trick?

-Sam
Unfortunately you would be surprised at the number of gullible people dying to believe it. That is why the Chessbase article warns and of course makes ample fun of it. Those who check out the suggested further reading should have a good laugh. :-)
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Father
Full name: Pablo Ignacio Restrepo

Post by Father »

Hello Alex Brown, :D :D :D :D
Finally I could be in an absolutle silence and rest in pease. :D :D :D q.e.p.d. :D :idea: :idea:
A new sistem playing computers in Man versus Machine we will be seeing, against and again. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Antichess will be an obsolete and old technique of XXI century. :D :D :D :mrgreen:
I am happy.
I am thinking chess is in a coin.Human beings for ever playing in one face.Now I am playing in the other face:"Antichess". Computers are as a fortres where owner forgot to close a little door behind. You must enter across this door.Forget the front.
Onno Garms

Post by Onno Garms »

Albert Silver wrote:Is it possible he just memorized a game that was a win against Rybka without book, and then reproduced it?
Did they play without book?

Engines tend not to reproduce games exactly due to tiny timing differences. This might work in some cases, but normally does not.

If you set up a single position, the probability that the same move gets played again on identical hardware with identical time is large. But over a game the probability of getting a different move somewhere is large because of different timing in the computer. Also it is virtually impossible to feed the computer with exactly the same time (1 millisecond accuracy). Finally, once the engine has computed a move (with slightly different timing) its hash table content differs.