Houdini, Fire, IvanHoe, (and Rybka?) are 'clones'...?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kranium

Re: Houdini, Fire, IvanHoe, (and Rybka?) are 'clones'...?

Post by kranium »

bob wrote: Everyone that has looked at Robo* source has reached the same conclusion.
?
no sorry...(maybe everyone in your world).

Apparently all you can offer now is personal insults and low blows...too bad.
I wish I was of a higher status, ans was worthy.

PS-
You seem uninformed...
I am more than capable of writing a chess program...(having had a long career as a systems/network engineer/programmer for major US corporations)
and have done so.

I used to be the guy that comes to fix the professor's system/network issues.
(Usually found the problem between the chair and the keyboard!)
:D

There's more info about me and my career on my website...
click on 'Kranium'
Last edited by kranium on Tue May 10, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

kranium wrote: I am more than capable of writing a chess program... having had a long career as a systems/network engineer/programmer for major US corporations.
Go for it write your 'own unique' engine! The last one you tried to sell was quickly proven to be a clone but you can have a 2nd chance.
bob

Post by bob »

kranium wrote:
bob wrote: Everyone that has looked at Robo* source has reached the same conclusion.
?
no sorry...(maybe everyone in your world).
How about giving names for those that do not believe this. Unfortunately, _your name_ doesn't count. Many have posted the comment here that clearly ip*/robo* was reverse-engineered due to the very bizarre programming style, the inability of the 'copiers" to understand the code and use reasonable variable names, etc...

Apparently all you can offer now is personal insults and low blows...too bad.
I wish I was of a higher status, ans was worthy.

PS-
I am more than capable of writing a chess program..., and have done so.
(having had a long career as a systems/network engineer/programmer for major US corporations)
I used to be the guy that comes to fix the professor's system/network issues.
(Usually found the problem between the chair and the keyboard!)
:D

There's more info about me and my career on my website...
click on 'Kranium'
I already have more than enough info about you.
kranium

Post by kranium »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
kranium wrote: I am more than capable of writing a chess program... having had a long career as a systems/network engineer/programmer for major US corporations.
Go for it write your engine! The last one you tried to sell was quickly proven to be a clone but you can have a 2nd chance.
I'm much more interested in continuing Fire and existing high-level code, than pursuing a 'scratch' engine.
Thanks anyway!
bob

Post by bob »

kranium wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Go for it write your engine! The last one you tried to sell was quickly proven to be a clone but you can have a 2nd chance.
I'm much more interested in continuing Fire and existing high-level code, than pursuing a 'scratch' engine.
Thanks anyway!
Sure. Copy the code of others. It _is_ easier.
kranium

Post by kranium »

bob wrote:
kranium wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Thanks anyway!
Wrong...
it's actually extremely challenging (often like getting water from a rock) to push a very strong engine forward.
Much easier IMO, to write a simple engine that simply 'functions'...
thats why we have thousands of the latter!

Just another of the many misconceptions you are tirelessly promoting in a vain effort to promote Crafty's utter originality...

BTW-
where did the 'sort' routines in Crafty come from?
did you invent them? just curious...

PS - the Ippolit programmers wrote their own proprietary tablebase code...(and a very original implementation!)
were you busy, was it over your head, or simply easier to use (license/copy/whatever) Nalimov?
bob

Post by bob »

kranium wrote:
bob wrote:
kranium wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Thanks anyway!
Wrong...
it's actually extremely challenging (often like getting water from a rock) to push a very strong engine forward.
Much easier IMO, to write a simple engine that simply 'functions'...
thats why we have thousands of the latter!

Just another of the many misconceptions you are tirelessly promoting in a vain effort to promote Crafty's utter originality...
For the Nth time, "What is wrong with you?" You have a major issue.

BTW-
where did the 'sort' routines in Crafty come from?
did you invent them? just curious...
If you bothered to read Crafty's source, you might be surprised. I actually credit people that develop ideas that work. I don't steal them, and then claim them as my own. No, I didn't invent the bubble sort. No, I didn't invent bitboards. yes, I did invent rotated bitboards. Yes, I did invent the parallel search that I use. That's the difference between us. I think credit should be given where it is due. A foreign concept, I am sure.

PS - the Ippolit programmers wrote their own proprietary tablebase code...(and a very original implementation!)
were you busy, was it over your head, or simply easier to use (license/copy/whatever) Nalimov?
Eugene wrote that code as part of the Crafty project, in case you didn't know. :) there is so _much_ you don't know, of course. He contributed some assembly language code to Crafty, then got interested in the EGTB stuff. Once it was written, tested, optimized, all of which was done on my computers, he then decided to let others use it. I didn't "need" to license it...

Try again... Anything to justify copying things written by others...
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

bob wrote:
Eugene wrote that code as part of the Crafty project, in case you didn't know. :) there is so _much_ you don't know, of course. He contributed some assembly language code to Crafty, then got interested in the EGTB stuff. Once it was written, tested, optimized, all of which was done on my computers, he then decided to let others use it. I didn't "need" to license it...

Hello Dr. Hyatt,

I did not know that history at all.

Fascinating.

Did you ever think of using the Ken Thompson bases in Crafty?

Later.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Roger Brown wrote:
bob wrote:

Hello Dr. Hyatt,

Fascinating.

Later.
Before the Eugene Nalimov tablebase files, Dr. Hyatt used the Steven J. Edwards tablebase files (from version 8.24 until superceded by Nalimov files in version 16.0).
bob

Post by bob »

Roger Brown wrote:
bob wrote:

Hello Dr. Hyatt,

Fascinating.

Later.
No. Steven Edwards added his EGTB support to Crafty first, via his "epdkit" that is still in crafty to provide the epd support. But he was not working on the egtb stuff and Eugene decided to write code that supported on-the-fly decompression.