Houdini, Fire, IvanHoe, (and Rybka?) are 'clones'...?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dayffd

Re: Houdini, Fire, IvanHoe, (and Rybka?) are 'clones'...?

Post by Dayffd »

bob wrote:
Dayffd wrote:I believe it was Milos who wrote, "...Ippo was (and still is) 50 Elo stronger than Rybka 3. ...". Just going from my tournaments, Rybka 3 is close to being 200 stronger than Ip* at 2847, Rybka 3 at 3037. Of course these ratings are subject to change. I do not like having Ip* participate too often since it crashes at least once, sometimes twice in every tournament, where each engine plays 14 games (2 games vs 7 opponents) with a time control of each engine having 30 minutes for each game.
That was my finding as well, except that on my cluster I was playing thousands of games and was seeing hundreds of crashes. It was still very strong, even with those lost games (it flags when it crashes)...
2847 on my list makes it a very strong engine, and I do not mean to imply otherwise. OTOH, there are several engines much stronger, e.g. Houdini 1.03a (1.5 not yet in any tourney), Stockfish 1.8, SF 1.7.1, Hiarcs 13.1, 13.2, Naum 4, 4.1, 4.2, even Fritz 12 and Deep Junior 12 and 12.5 among others.
David S.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Its really funny that these guys never learn:

Some bikers enter a room filled with athletes, which have been running a marathon, and then start bragging that they did the distance much faster than the winner, and reserve a few derogative remarks to the 'also ran' that did not manage to become medalists.

And when they subsequently get laughed at, they start whining that they don't get more recognition than the athlete that won the gold medal, despite the fact that they were faster. :shock:

I mean, how stupid can you be?
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

hgm wrote:Its really funny that these guys never learn:

Some bikers enter a room filled with athletes, which have been running a marathon, and then start bragging that they did the distance much faster than the winner, and reserve a few derogative remarks to the 'also ran' that did not manage to become medalists.

And when they subsequently get laughed at, they start whining that they don't get more recognition than the athlete that won the gold medal, despite the fact that they were faster. :shock:

I mean, how stupid can you be?
HGM, did you invent the laser? Hmmm... I guess it was someone else. In this sense all your important papers are a FRAUD, and pretending to have been a physicist is a measure of how you can look foolish fooling around.

Kai
hgm

Post by hgm »

So what is your point? You now want to brag, not that you did cover a distance of 43 km faster on motor bike than the winner of the marathon, but just because you know others that have done that???

You'd better be prepared to be ridiculed even more, then... :lol:

Or do you want to point out that it is equally stupid of me that I post here all the time how mean and corrupt you all are that you do not worship my physics papers, and do not credit me for the invention of the laser? But I am not really doing that, am I? So again, what is your point?
bob

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:So what is your point? You now want to brag, not that you did cover a distance of 43 km faster on motor bike than the winner of the marathon, but just because you know others that have done that???

You'd better be prepared to be ridiculed even more, then... :lol:

Or do you want to point out that it is equally stupid of me that I post here all the time how mean and corrupt you all are that you do not worship my physics papers, and do not credit me for the invention of the laser? But I am not really doing that, am I? So again, what is your point?
I think you are wasting your time... get back to xboard issues. :)
hgm

Post by hgm »

Problem was they were all finished. The tounament manager seems to work smoothly, the GUI book can be edited including the learn info, multi-PV can be switched by clicking in the engine-output window. (And for the bugs that are left, I have no decent bug reports to work with).
So I had to look for entertainment elsewhere. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

hgm wrote:Problem was they were all finished. The tounament manager seems to work smoothly, the GUI book can be edited including the learn info, multi-PV can be switched by clicking in the engine-output window. (And for the bugs that are left, I have no decent bug reports to work with).
So I had to look for entertainment elsewhere. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hello H.G.,

Ah, forgot about the epd issues, did you?

No time for this other entertainment at all!

:-)

Later.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, it is still not clear what exactly that should do. (E.g. what should be the output.)