Chess Tiger for iPod

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Chess Tiger for iPod

Post by Sean Evans »

Hi, my Chess Tiger program disappeared from my iPod, so I went back to iTunes to re-download it and it is not showing up in my APPS. I then did a search at the iTunes store for "Chess Tiger" and it does not appear to be for sale.

Can someone tell me what the heck is going on with my missing CT app?

====

I just did another recheck is there is a new icon called "Chess" with a white knight on it, written by Christophe Theron, so did he replace the red icon with the gold tiger to this one and called it Chess instead of Chess Tiger?

====

Upon further inspection of the "Chess" program it states in the program:

"CHESS includes the CHESS TIGER engine"

So what does this exactly mean? Is it CT or not?

Thank you,

Sean
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: Chess Tiger for iPod

Post by JuLieN »

Yes Sean, that's CT, don't worry :) Christophe yet explained here a few weeks ago that he received legal notices by other companies because he used "tiger" in the title (he especially mentioned a REALLY big company that also had an operating system whose name included "Tiger" too ;) ). So he just renamed it.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

JuLieN wrote:Yes Sean, that's CT, don't worry :) Christophe yet explained here a few weeks ago that he received legal notices by other companies because he used "tiger" in the title (he especially mentioned a REALLY big company that also had an operating system whose name included "Tiger" too ;) ). So he just renamed it.
At the moment it is called "Chess" so it really does not have a name. In addition, if that information is correct if he sells his PC version, he will not be able to use the name CT!

Perhaps, we should start a thread with name suggestions for CT?!

Cordially,

Sean
JuLieN

Post by JuLieN »

Sean Evans wrote:
JuLieN wrote:Yes Sean, that's CT, don't worry :) Christophe yet explained here a few weeks ago that he received legal notices by other companies because he used "tiger" in the title (he especially mentioned a REALLY big company that also had an operating system whose name included "Tiger" too ;) ). So he just renamed it.
At the moment it is called "Chess" so it really does not have a name. In addition, if that information is correct if he sells his PC version, he will not be able to use the name CT!

Perhaps, we should start a thread with name suggestions for CT?!

Cordially,

Sean
Should be less a problem on PC, as MicroSoft didn't produce any "Windows Tiger"... :lol:
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Also Tiger Electronics made a portable peg sensory chess computer in the 90's, which maybe another legal challenge.
tiger

Post by tiger »

Sean Evans wrote:Hi, my Chess Tiger program disappeared from my iPod, so I went back to iTunes to re-download it and it is not showing up in my APPS. I then did a search at the iTunes store for "Chess Tiger" and it does not appear to be for sale.

Can someone tell me what the heck is going on with my missing CT app?

====

I just did another recheck is there is a new icon called "Chess" with a white knight on it, written by Christophe Theron, so did he replace the red icon with the gold tiger to this one and called it Chess instead of Chess Tiger?

====

Upon further inspection of the "Chess" program it states in the program:

"CHESS includes the CHESS TIGER engine"

So what does this exactly mean? Is it CT or not?

Thank you,

Sean

Yes it is Chess Tiger. The icon and the name has been changed one version ago, in early april. It was version 2011.02.

I guess you have just downloaded version 2011.03, which has been released 3 days ago.

So everything is fine and CHESS with the white Knight icon is definitely Chess Tiger.

// Christophe
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

The lawyers of that REALLY big company whose name starts with an A and sounds like something similar to a pear ;-) just seem a bit paranoid in this case ... How could they ever expect any negative impact on their sales of an operating system from a chess program? I would understand if they would prevent another company of selling an OS whose name includes "Tiger", too. But a chess program?

Waiting for "Microsoft Junior",
Sven
tiger

Post by tiger »

Sven Schüle wrote:
The lawyers of that REALLY big company whose name starts with an A and sounds like something similar to a pear ;-) just seem a bit paranoid in this case ... How could they ever expect any negative impact on their sales of an operating system from a chess program? I would understand if they would prevent another company of selling an OS whose name includes "Tiger", too. But a chess program?

Sven

Where did I say it was this company?

// Christophe
JuLieN

Post by JuLieN »

tiger wrote:
Sven Schüle wrote:

Sven

// Christophe
Here :
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... ht=#402521
tiger wrote:
JuLieN wrote:
tiger wrote:
bretti wrote:New ChessTiger - new name - nice price:

The new version 2011.02 shows the rating from whites point of view (if you want), has more levels and comes with a collection of about 3.600 games from masters and world-champions. Some bug-fixes and engine improvements are also good news. The price is now 0,79 € so everybody who hesitated (old price 4,99 €) should buy this great app right now!

It changes his name to CHESS - maybe to force a better search result at the App-Store. I miss the old tiger-icon and of course the universal App :-)

New name because I have been threatened of legal action by several companies, one of them *big*.

Think about where I'm selling this and if "Tiger" reminds you of a known product.

You can still find the product if you seach for "Chess Tiger" anyway.

// Christophe
What about Chess Lion? ;)

Seriously, that sucks... Short minded people bothering you with that??? As far as I know, Chess Tiger is older than OSX Tiger, right ?

(And yes, I understand that you didn't have much choice, as argumenting with the big company distributing your program wouldn't be a good idea...)

I cannot talk about this. But it was not just THIS company.

But frankly it is not a big problem. It does not seem to be affecting sales in any way. And the app has been getting fabulous reviews all around the world since it has been released, which is boosting its ranking. Update + excellent ratings + price drop => ranking goes up. Very simple.

Those who want to find the app can still find it by searching for "chess tiger".

// Christophe
I put the reveling part in bold orange and underlined the most important word that in propositional logics makes this proposition being read "THIS company and others". ;)
tiger

Post by tiger »

JuLieN wrote:
tiger wrote:
Sven Schüle wrote:

Sven

// Christophe
Here :
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... ht=#402521
tiger wrote:
JuLieN wrote:
tiger wrote:
bretti wrote:New ChessTiger - new name - nice price:

The new version 2011.02 shows the rating from whites point of view (if you want), has more levels and comes with a collection of about 3.600 games from masters and world-champions. Some bug-fixes and engine improvements are also good news. The price is now 0,79 € so everybody who hesitated (old price 4,99 €) should buy this great app right now!

It changes his name to CHESS - maybe to force a better search result at the App-Store. I miss the old tiger-icon and of course the universal App :-)

New name because I have been threatened of legal action by several companies, one of them *big*.

Think about where I'm selling this and if "Tiger" reminds you of a known product.

You can still find the product if you seach for "Chess Tiger" anyway.

// Christophe
What about Chess Lion? ;)

Seriously, that sucks... Short minded people bothering you with that??? As far as I know, Chess Tiger is older than OSX Tiger, right ?

(And yes, I understand that you didn't have much choice, as argumenting with the big company distributing your program wouldn't be a good idea...)

I cannot talk about this. But it was not just THIS company.

But frankly it is not a big problem. It does not seem to be affecting sales in any way. And the app has been getting fabulous reviews all around the world since it has been released, which is boosting its ranking. Update + excellent ratings + price drop => ranking goes up. Very simple.

Those who want to find the app can still find it by searching for "chess tiger".

// Christophe
I put the reveling part in bold orange and underlined the most important word that in propositional logics makes this proposition being read "THIS company and others". ;)

As you can read, I did not say it was this comany or any other.

// Christophe