TCEC announcement: End of project.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: TCEC announcement: End of project.

Post by zullil »

S.Taylor wrote: But it would be much nicer to say it in a slightly different tone.
It seems that you alone were bothered by the "tone" of Martin's message.

To me, the message seemed full of regret.

Strange that you failed to sense that.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

tomgdrums wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
Don wrote:
Martin Thoresen wrote:
S.Taylor wrote: I think a few words of apology and regret would also have been the more polite and considerate way to have concluded.
Are you serious?
Here is a thought experiment:

Walk into a room of strangers, say 20 people that you don't know from Adam and give each person 50 dollars for no reason whatsoever. But when you get to the last person, give him only 5 dollars.

What kind of reaction will you get? Does the person who got only 5 dollars feel like he was shortchanged? He was given $5 as a gift with no strings attached and for no reason whatsoever and he feels "cheated?"
This is not an exact comparrison.
If he was told he would be getting $50, and because of that, he waited all day or a whole week, and then was given only $5, and he had much more important things to do, then the person who gave it, if he understood that it was being waited for, might be considered polite if he said, "Terribly sorry, that's all i have left". People today are not educated enough in being considerate of others feelings, even though they might be nice and do nice things.

What about this?
If someone gave you free board and lodging, for a month, and you became very ill with high fever and temperature, on day 20, then the owner said "i give you 5 five minutes to leave". And it's in the middle of a freezing cold night, and you are in a delirium from serious influenza and can not even move. Then what? Should not the owner atleast be a little appologetic, and even give him till day 21 to manage it? Where's the human element?

Here is the "human" element:

Martin created and ran TCEC because it was fun and fulfilling for him. As an offshoot it also gave others pleasure! Now something has come up and he can't do it anymore.

The "human" element would be for you to say "Thanks Martin, I wish you well."

That is the human element!
Well said. :)
gerold

Post by gerold »

Martin Thoresen wrote:I've had lots of great times with the project but now it's time for me to move on.

TCEC has taken up most of my spare time but now other things are
happening in my private life which makes me unable to continue the
project.

I want to thank everyone involved, most notably Paolo Casachi of pgn4web
and Matthias Gemuh of ChessGUI.

As this is a sudden but necessary change of path for me, I will close down
TCEC today which means stage 2a will not be finished nor will season 3.

Thank you to everyone following and I hope you all had a great time.

Best,
Martin
Time is the most important thing in a persons life. You gave many hours of enjoyment to many people. Me included. Thanks for your hours of work to CCC and other chess sites.

Very best to you Martin,
Gerold.
Keith317

Post by Keith317 »

Martin,

I am sad to hear the news but understand there are other priorities. These priorities wax and wane through our lives and I hope that events turn out well for you and that one day you might be able to pick up where you left off as you evidently enjoyed running this as others such as myself enjoyed watching,

Either way, my thanks for all your efforts with TCEC and my good wishes.
NATIONAL12

Post by NATIONAL12 »

great tournament Martin,you will be sadly missed by us all.it had a good following on Rybka forum.however chess is only a game and not real life.i for one hope to hear from you again and wish you best in everything.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

tomgdrums wrote:
S.Taylor wrote:
Don wrote:
Martin Thoresen wrote:
S.Taylor wrote: I think a few words of apology and regret would also have been the more polite and considerate way to have concluded.
Are you serious?
Here is a thought experiment:

Walk into a room of strangers, say 20 people that you don't know from Adam and give each person 50 dollars for no reason whatsoever. But when you get to the last person, give him only 5 dollars.

What kind of reaction will you get? Does the person who got only 5 dollars feel like he was shortchanged? He was given $5 as a gift with no strings attached and for no reason whatsoever and he feels "cheated?"
This is not an exact comparrison.
If he was told he would be getting $50, and because of that, he waited all day or a whole week, and then was given only $5, and he had much more important things to do, then the person who gave it, if he understood that it was being waited for, might be considered polite if he said, "Terribly sorry, that's all i have left". People today are not educated enough in being considerate of others feelings, even though they might be nice and do nice things.

What about this?
If someone gave you free board and lodging, for a month, and you became very ill with high fever and temperature, on day 20, then the owner said "i give you 5 five minutes to leave". And it's in the middle of a freezing cold night, and you are in a delirium from serious influenza and can not even move. Then what? Should not the owner atleast be a little appologetic, and even give him till day 21 to manage it? Where's the human element?

Here is the "human" element:

Martin created and ran TCEC because it was fun and fulfilling for him. As an offshoot it also gave others pleasure! Now something has come up and he can't do it anymore.

The "human" element would be for you to say "Thanks Martin, I wish you well."

That is the human element!
VERY GOOD!

That's your contribution.
ivoryknight

Post by ivoryknight »

Hi, and thank you for running the TCEC. I really enjoyed watching the games. I would like to pick up where you left off. I am currently running a G/12-hours tournament: http://www.westportchessclub.org/comput ... -games.htm How do I go about getting my games automatically published to the web? I run my tournaments in Aquarium. Should I use another UI instead? I was thinking of using an FTP program to automatically upload the current position's .PGN file every 5 minutes. I just don't know how to *automatically* extract a position to a PGN file w/o my input. Will this method work? Is that what you did? Your knowledge could help the rest of the chess community who want to do the same. Please share, and let me know if I'm on the right track. Thank you!
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

ivoryknight wrote:Hi, and thank you for running the TCEC. I really enjoyed watching the games. I would like to pick up where you left off. I am currently running a G/12-hours tournament: http://www.westportchessclub.org/comput ... -games.htm How do I go about getting my games automatically published to the web? I run my tournaments in Aquarium. Should I use another UI instead? I was thinking of using an FTP program to automatically upload the current position's .PGN file every 5 minutes. I just don't know how to *automatically* extract a position to a PGN file w/o my input. Will this method work? Is that what you did? Your knowledge could help the rest of the chess community who want to do the same. Please share, and let me know if I'm on the right track. Thank you!
Hi Brent,

I was using ChessGUI + windows batch ftp w/ task scheduler + pgn4web.

Task Scheduler xml file (for import):

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task version="1.3" xmlns="http&#58;//schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
  <RegistrationInfo>
    <Date>2010-08-18T00&#58;53&#58;51.3580841</Date>
    <Author>MARTINPC\Martin Thoresen</Author>
    <Description>Starts tcec.bat</Description>
  </RegistrationInfo>
  <Triggers>
    <TimeTrigger>
      <Repetition>
        <Interval>PT1M</Interval>
        <StopAtDurationEnd>false</StopAtDurationEnd>
      </Repetition>
      <StartBoundary>2010-08-18T02&#58;15&#58;31</StartBoundary>
      <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    </TimeTrigger>
  </Triggers>
  <Principals>
    <Principal id="Author">
      <UserId>MARTINPC\Martin Thoresen</UserId>
      <LogonType>InteractiveToken</LogonType>
      <RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel>
    </Principal>
  </Principals>
  <Settings>
    <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
    <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
    <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>false</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
    <AllowHardTerminate>false</AllowHardTerminate>
    <StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable>
    <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
    <IdleSettings>
      <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>
      <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
    </IdleSettings>
    <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
    <Hidden>true</Hidden>
    <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>
    <DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>false</DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>
    <UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>false</UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>
    <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
    <ExecutionTimeLimit>PT0S</ExecutionTimeLimit>
    <Priority>1</Priority>
  </Settings>
  <Actions Context="Author">
    <Exec>
      <Command>"C&#58;\Program Files &#40;x86&#41;\ChessGUI\OUTPUT\chp.exe"</Command>
      <Arguments>cmd.exe /c "C&#58;\Program Files &#40;x86&#41;\ChessGUI\OUTPUT\tcec.bat"</Arguments>
      <WorkingDirectory>C&#58;\Program Files &#40;x86&#41;\ChessGUI\OUTPUT\</WorkingDirectory>
    </Exec>
  </Actions>
</Task>
tcec.bat

ftp -s&#58;tcec.txt >>tcec_log.txt
exit
tcec.txt

open ftp.tcec-chess.org
username
password
cd test/stage_2a
put LivePgn.pgn
put LivePgn.Tmp
put *_e1e_TmpTable.html
put *_e1e_Schedule.html
quit
I still have all the html code and stuff backed up, but I am not really tempted to pass it all on. :)

Best,
Martin
ivoryknight

Post by ivoryknight »

Thanks, Martin.