tribute to stand alone computer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ozziejoe

tribute to stand alone computer

Post by ozziejoe »

after 25 years of not owning a stand alone chess computer I finally opened my pocket book and bought the mephisto master chess for the incredibly high price of 500 bucks. I wa surpised to see how clunky it's interface was and slow it's search it is no better than 2200 elo in the era of plus 3400 ratings. it is like the standalones got caught in 1990 and stopped improving

yet having said that I am, so happy to be playing in three dimensions. even if th pieces are plastic. it is still so much better than computer. and the thing plays reasonable at the lower levels ( eg not making odd blunders)

I realized that it makes no difference to the average chess player that they areplaying a 3000 or 3400 chess engine. both are completely beyond our understanding. we can not learn from these Alien beasts. I'll learn as much from mephisto As I wil from hiarca or rybca

we should have a second rating list. this one will not be based on performance but on whether it passes the Turing test. what percentage of the time does a human guess it is playing a human when it is playing a computer. the top engines will have a rating of 50 (50% of time guess human)

b
Steve B

Re: tribute to stand alone computer

Post by Steve B »

Is this supposed to be a sarcastic commentary on dedicated chess computers?

AFAIK there is no Mephisto Master Chess model that could cost $500 unless you got ripped off

Regards
Steve
ozziejoe

Post by ozziejoe »

No sarcasm at all. I love the thing. I probably did pay too much
It was Australian 500 saitaik. I meant nothing against other models. Appologies if I offended.
ozziejoe

Post by ozziejoe »

You can find it on boardgamescentral.com.au
I think it might have been expensive because the Ozzie dollar
Doesn't do well
Against the euro. I'm sure by your reaction I payed too much. Rats
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

ozziejoe wrote:You can find it on boardgamescentral.com.au
I think it might have been expensive because the Ozzie dollar
Doesn't do well
Against the euro. I'm sure by your reaction I payed too much. Rats
No Offence taken
i am not a dedicated chess computer

anyway sorry to say you did pay too high a price
not sure of the Aussie V US dollar conversion but they sell for about $200 here
http://www.chessusa.com/Merchant2/merch ... ct_Count=6

Regards
Steve
ozziejoe

Post by ozziejoe »

Various obscenities come to mind at the thought of paying this far
Over going rate. I kind of got the bug to buy a standalone and compulsively
Bought at the first Ozzie shop that had it. I still am happy with it. I need to beat it a bit more often to justify purchasing the next stronger stand alone What is your recommended next level steve?
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

ozziejoe wrote:Various obscenities come to mind at the thought of paying this far
Over going rate. I kind of got the bug to buy a standalone and compulsively
Bought at the first Ozzie shop that had it. I still am happy with it. I need to beat it a bit more often to justify purchasing the next stronger stand alone What is your recommended next level steve?
Well sadly and for many of the same reasons you gave in your initial post ..very few choices exist today for NEW chess computers
Your Master is rated about 2075 Elo

if you only want NEW computers i would go with the Citrine
about $300 USD and about the same in strength as the Master but at least you are getting a handsome wooden board with wooden pieces
http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... ag_Citrine

of course if you dont mind a USED chess computer then Ebay offers a world of opportunity to find computers rated up to 2400 elo at a wide range of prices(most less then $500)
I know a few collectors from "Down Under" and they shop on Ebay regularly

Land Of Oz Regards
Steve
ozziejoe

Post by ozziejoe »

That is a good looking chess computer. it looks like they have moved all the buttons and display off of the board itself and emphasized attractiveness.

I am always worried about buying one of these used. who would fix it if it broke? What is your experience in buying used ones? e.g., how many were duds or did not work soon after purchase?
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

ozziejoe wrote:That is a good looking chess computer. it looks like they have moved all the buttons and display off of the board itself and emphasized attractiveness.

I am always worried about buying one of these used. who would fix it if it broke? What is your experience in buying used ones? e.g., how many were duds or did not work soon after purchase?
well alot of my computers are old..very old..
so getting them repaired when something goes wrong is always a concern
currently i know someone who can fix them..
as to Ebay purchases..the vast majority of my transactions have been fine
i would guesstimate that not even 5% of my completed auctions resulted in any issues
Steve