Lucaschess: a program with increasing level of difficulty

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pocopito

Re: Lucaschess: a program with increasing level of difficult

Post by pocopito »

Hi Mincho

If with people who play with their engines you are referring to me, then I want to make clear I'm not one of them. I just was lucky enough to find Lucas' program and wanted to share this info with people who could find it valuable.

By the way, thanks to every "welcome" I've received in this post. It's very kind of you.

Cheers
lukasmonk

Post by lukasmonk »

hgm wrote:Well, on the low end there would be HoiChess, Fairy-Max, GNU Chess.
Thanks for the information.
On the top of the table, almost all have Linux version, stockfish, critter ...

My biggest problem is that I work with windows 95%, and almost I have not used Linux.

Cheers
Lucas
lukasmonk

Post by lukasmonk »

K I Hyams wrote:... however I know a man who teaches chess to American schoolchildren who may well have a use for it.
Thanks. In the program one part of the trainings are for beginners. Perhaps that part is helpful for children. There are pseudo engines, an even a child-beginner can beat.

Cheers
Lucas
lukasmonk

Post by lukasmonk »

Mincho Georgiev wrote:I wish you best and I sincerely admire people who actually are playing with their own engines!
When I drew up the list for the first time one of the engines that I thought to include was your engine (Pawny), but I had a problem trying to work with depths. I have solved these types of problems and now I want to expand the list, so probably I will ask your permission to include it.

Cheers
Lucas
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

lukasmonk wrote:
K I Hyams wrote:... however I know a man who teaches chess to American schoolchildren who may well have a use for it.
Thanks. In the program one part of the trainings are for beginners. Perhaps that part is helpful for children. There are pseudo engines, an even a child-beginner can beat.

Cheers
Lucas
Perhaps you are too modest. You could have told us about the program yourself. Some authors of freeware engines announce their release here and others tell us about their updates. Everybody welcomes that sort of announcement.

I have just had a more thorough look at the program, it really is very nice indeed. I think that many of the options that you have are well developed but there are a number of additional paths down which you could take it, if you choose too. If you do continue to develop it, I hope that you will keep us informed of changes.
Mincho Georgiev

Post by Mincho Georgiev »

You don't need it, permission - granted by default :D
The older versions of pawny just didn't contain the 'uci go depth'.
It should be ok now.
Best!
tano-urayoan

Post by tano-urayoan »

lukasmonk wrote:
hgm wrote:Well, on the low end there would be HoiChess, Fairy-Max, GNU Chess.
Thanks for the information.
On the top of the table, almost all have Linux version, stockfish, critter ...

My biggest problem is that I work with windows 95%, and almost I have not used Linux.

Cheers
Lucas
Hello Lucas
The "problem" will not be the operating system but the protocol. I believe the engines quoted by HG Muller are Winboard and you are using UCI engines if I am not mistaken.
lukasmonk

Post by lukasmonk »

Yes, they must be UCI engines, but if necessary, Winboard is not too different.
In my opinion, UCI protocol is more easy to work with.
And as I could have enough engines UCI, I have not been required to include Winboard protocol code.
lukasmonk

Post by lukasmonk »

K I Hyams wrote:Perhaps you are too modest. You could have told us about the program yourself. Some authors of freeware engines announce their release here and others tell us about their updates. Everybody welcomes that sort of announcement.

I have just had a more thorough look at the program, it really is very nice indeed. I think that many of the options that you have are well developed but there are a number of additional paths down which you could take it, if you choose too. If you do continue to develop it, I hope that you will keep us informed of changes.
Yes, this is a great place to advertise a program like this.
Talkchess especially helped me to contact many of the engine programmers, for permission to be included in the program distribution.