Chess GUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Roger Brown

Re: Chess GUI

Post by Roger Brown »

Hello All,

I deleted Michael Diosi's latest Nazi references and as a consequence, H.G.'s response to same.

Could the Nazi matter be laid to rest, never to rise again? I would appreciate a return to simply discussing the merits and demerits of the guis we all love and use.

Thanks.

Later.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Yes, well, you see how it works. The guy is totally without inhibition or any thread of decency, and when he thinks it suits his purpose of discrediting competing GUIs or attracting hits to the Arena page to keep it ranked #1 at Google, he doesn't flinch an eye at fabricating nazi accusations and then time, after time, after time keep posting them.

For those that have missed it: this "latest nazi reference" was a fresh one, here in this thread, repeating the same vicious lie.
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

hgm wrote:For those that have missed it: this "latest nazi reference" was a fresh one, here in this thread, repeating the same vicious lie.
I have not seen it. Maybe it would be helpful if you could stop provoking with messages like this:

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 91&t=39602

Just report all nazi comparisones to the moderators. I am sure they will handle it in a proper way.

What happens right now is: One of you posts something and the other immediately starts attacking. Even in threads like this you start talking about the other. This board becomes really ugly.

I only read from time to time here and rarely do a comment. And again I get involved in your personal problems. Oh my good, you are grown up people, can't you solve this problems somehow?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
hgm wrote:For those that have missed it: this "latest nazi reference" was a fresh one, here in this thread, repeating the same vicious lie.
I have not seen it. Maybe it would be helpful if you could stop provoking with messages like this:

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 91&t=39602
The message you quote was actually not 'provoking' anything at all: it was just a response to the nazi allegations made minutes before in another thread, accompanied by the promise/threat that they would be advertized on the Arena website, over which the moderators here have no control.
Just report all nazi comparisones to the moderators. I am sure they will handle it in a proper way.
You mean like leaving such messages up, (as they still are), and a accompanying them by a small note some posts below it like "Naughty, naugty Micky! That was not very polite. Please don't do it again", and then repeat that when he does it again? And again...? And again, with impunity...? No, thank you!
What happens right now is: One of you posts something and the other immediately starts attacking. Even in threads like this you start talking about the other. This board becomes really ugly.
Indeed, that is what you get when vicious savages like Mr Diosi can post on an effectively unmoderated forum. The solution of course is very obvious, but unfortunately beyond my power to implement. So I guess all have to endure the suffering...
I only read from time to time here and rarely do a comment. And again I get involved in your personal problems. Oh my good, you are grown up people, can't you solve this problems somehow?
Good joke!
Alexander Schmidt

hgm wrote:You mean like leaving such messages up, (as they still are), and a accompanying them by a small note some posts below it like "Naughty, naugty Micky! That was not very polite. Please don't do it again", and then repeat that when he does it again? And again...? And again, with impunity...? No, thank you!
No, use the report button, and don't spam every thread with your personal war.
hgm

Post by hgm »

As long as someone is allowed to associate me with nazis, he will suffer the consequences in every thread where he posts.

You are barking up the wrong tree. It is not my responsibility to see to it that this board is ugly or not. That is the responsability of the moderators. They apparently prefer this to be an ugly board, where vile characters like mr Diosi are not only tolerated, but should be given the freedom to call anyone they like a nazi without impunity. So if you don't like that, complain to them. I am enjoying myself just fine. In fact I am still only warming up. You ain't seen nothing yet... :lol:
Alexander Schmidt

A mayority of the users here trust the moderators. You can't expect that the mods read everything. Report an insulting post and they will delete it. Roger just deleted one, you are still complaining...

Reading your postings in this thread makes me believe that you don't really care about this forum and a factual chess related discussion. It looks for me like you just enjoy the conflicts. I am out.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:A mayority of the users here trust the moderators. You can't expect that the mods read everything. Report an insulting post and they will delete it. Roger just deleted one, you are still complaining...
If one of the moderators comments on the offending post, would you think it is a safe assumption that he has seen it?

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&start=32

You really seem to have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, he deleted _one_ of Mr Diosi's vile accusations now. Wow, what a harsh action after the first two times letting him off with only a warning, (leaving the posts up), which he happily ignored like moderators are thin air. And that a post got deleted now, could that perhaps have anything to do with that by now I have trained them what to expect if they don't? Do you really think they would take any action against Mr Disosi flaunting his contempt for their authority if they did not know things would get completely out of hand when they just shrug and hope it will go away?
Reading your postings in this thread makes me believe that you don't really care about this forum and a factual chess related discussion. It looks for me like you just enjoy the conflicts. I am out.
I don't seek conflicts, but I don't shy away from them either. I just make the best of things, and, being a naturally happy person, enjoy what I do.

And I still don't understand why you feel the need to lecture me about 'respect' in this thread. For one this is also the jurisdiction of the moderators, and it also highly distracts from the "factual chess-related discussion" we were having here. It was NOT ME who made the remark that he though one had to set pretty low standards to think Arena is the best GUI, and I was not engaged in starting any flame war at all. In fact I corrected the guy.

I would be quite happy to go back to a factual chess discussion about GUIs(for as long as Mr Diosi does not intrude with his vile libelous allegations), and have you explain me why you think Arena would be "unquestionably the best" when you make a side by side comparison with other free GUIs, such as XBoard.
slobo

Post by slobo »

hgm wrote:
Alexander Schmidt wrote:A mayority of the users here trust the moderators. You can't expect that the mods read everything. Report an insulting post and they will delete it. Roger just deleted one, you are still complaining...
If one of the moderators comments on the offending post, would you think it is a safe assumption that he has seen it?

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&start=32

You really seem to have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, he deleted _one_ of Mr Diosi's vile accusations now. Wow, what a harsh action after the first two times letting him off with only a warning, (leaving the posts up), which he happily ignored like moderators are thin air. And that a post got deleted now, could that perhaps have anything to do with that by now I have trained them what to expect if they don't? Do you really think they would take any action against Mr Disosi flaunting his contempt for their authority if they did not know things would get completely out of hand when they just shrug and hope it will go away?
I don't seek conflicts, but I don't shy away from them either. I just make the best of things, and, being a naturally happy person, enjoy what I do.

And I still don't understand why you feel the need to lecture me about 'respect' in this thread. For one this is also the jurisdiction of the moderators, and it also highly distracts from the "factual chess-related discussion" we were having here. It was NOT ME who made the remark that he though one had to set pretty low standards to think Arena is the best GUI, and I was not engaged in starting any flame war at all. In fact I corrected the guy.

I would be quite happy to go back to a factual chess discussion about GUIs(for as long as Mr Diosi does not intrude with his vile libelous allegations), and have you explain me why you think Arena would be "unquestionably the best" when you make a side by side comparison with other free GUIs, such as XBoard.
There are Germans who doesn´t feel calling sombody a "nazi" as an insult . It seems they see such incidents rather like a kind of political labeling.
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Hello H.G.,

You have made a number of fascinating remarks in this thread about the moderators - which would be mostly me - since I have been the one on point in this issue.

I will not comment on them explicitly except to say this: In any future thread I am asking that you p.m. me - if you do not want to use the complaint button - when you are called a Nazi by Diosi or anyone.

You complain that the board is unmoderated.

Wow.

You set out the seriousness of what being called a Nazi means to a European and I immediately delete the next comment which is a step up from the (admittedly ineffective) warning I posted in that same thread.

The next time his ability to post will be affected, for a limited time to a longer period if he insists.

That gradual implementation might not suit you BUT isn't part of the European experience the expectation that someone can correct their ways, that ultimately the people can self-govern themselves if their wrong ways are pointed out to them? That is what I believe anyway.

Now if that view turns out to be flawed in this or any case then I will take faster action, have no doubt. The pace may not be yours but that is not the same as not caring at all. Perhaps you would have immediately moved to a more drastic action as a moderator,, that is your approach and maybe it has merit but it is not how I approach these matters.

I find the implications of that belief about the moderators (me) - that we do not care - more than somewhat disappointing.

I could not possibly know of the vileness of the Nazi references to you or any European but once you provided the enlightenment I was on it immediately.

I am guaranteeing that such comments will not be welcome here and they will not be tolerated.

I know that you have no fear of conflict but when you engage immediately before contacting me that in turn perpetuates the ugliness that you despise.

Later.