Komodo 3.0 first impressions!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Komodo 3.0 first impressions!

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi there,

since yesterday in the evening Komodo 3.0 w32 and Komodo 3.0 x64 is still running in SWCR. I am looking a lot on this engines and after the first games I wonder.

I wonder because Komodo is clearly more aggressively as the preview version 2.03. Very, very nice games Komodo produced. Best game I saw was a game vs. Hiarcs 13.2. Mate in 43 moves with different wonderful moves. Never I saw such an aggressive middlegame in the preview version after so many SWCR games. Nice is that the strenghts of Komodo are hold. Very strong in positional chess. I believe such things can be a good mix for looking and for the new number 1.

I don't know what the programmers of Komodo changed since version 2.03. But the changes must be very good!

My congratulations to the Komodo team.
Very very nice development ...

Not sure which of the engines Critter, Komodo or Stockfish will be in a short time the new number 1 but more human like styles is playing Komodo for myself so far.

Not sure after the first games I saw but its possible that Komodo are on one level in tactic to Stockfish and Critter.

I am sure the programmers of Critter and Stockfish are working on an answer of such a strong Komodo :-)

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Re: Komodo 3.0 first impressions!

Hi,

i try to start the first statsitics.

Komodo 2.0.3 have a game average from 97 moves. Komodo 3.0 so far around 84 moves !!

In SWCR I engines are playing with resings up to mate or end remis positions.

Need more games, very very interesting!

Best
Frank
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Your impressions about the change in aggressiveness are correct. We substantially lowered the material scores relative to the positional ones, meaning that Komodo is far more likely to give up a pawn for attacking possibilities than in previous versions. Part of the elo gain from 2.03 was due to this. There should be little change in style in positions where the sacrifice of material is not a factor.
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Larry,

thanks for your short answer.

Opinion so far, many games later:
That is the best computer chess I ever saw from an engine. Not easy to find weaknesses in the playing style.

Today I will study the other messages to this topic. Not read all messages about Komodo since the version is release.

But I saw enough to say:
Komodo will be in near future the number 1.
You and Don are on the right way!

What for a great engine, just wonderful.

Thanks again!

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

without resign, sorry!
Games in SWCR are playing all the time without resign factor.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:That is the best computer chess I ever saw from an engine.
Are you being objective here? Komodo is a very good engine, but it is not even the "best computer chess" playing engine when some other engine also use one CPU core, and not even in the other programs league when they run on multi-cores.

I am all for Komodo being the best, when it is the best.
Frank Quisinsky

Hi there,

I am absolutely sure after the first 180 games I have / I saw ... INTUITIVELY after my 35 years computer chess.

Komodo is still running in SWCR, more as 1.000 games are to play. Possible that my opinion switched after more games. But I believe I saw enough.

After the round robin I can give some examples if you like.

The early middle game, all IPPs have the same problems and playing more or less very boring. Komodo is playing very dynamic here. Never I saw such a dynamic middle game from a chess engine. Game building in from the beginning is clearly better. In combination with the other strengths I am sure Komodo have the potential to be the new number 1. Humans will have more problems vs. Komodo as vs. IPPs.

You have not to look on ELO only.
That the biggest problems with a rating list. Most looking on ELO only.

But let us wait of more games.

Best
Frank

PS: I believe the only advantage from Houdini if I compare with Houdini is that Houdini is better in the early endgame. In all other parts Komodo seems to be clearly the better game building. Again, so far ... INTUITIVELY, need more games.
Frank Quisinsky

And a good indication for such a opinion are in special the games vs. tactic strong engines. Junior, Hiarcs, Stockfish, SmarThink, Hannibal, Critter have no chance if I look on game building (Spielaufbau in German language, don't now the right word) only.

Critter and Stockfish made some points in the endgames more as the others tactical strong engines, but not with here one strengths "tactic". King safety from Komodo is fantastic too.

I am very surprised from this Komodo version.
Thats more as computer chess.
Thats a simulation from a SUPER GM which playing chess without mistakes.

Best
Frank
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

mwyoung wrote:
Frank Quisinsky wrote:That is the best computer chess I ever saw from an engine.
Are you being objective here? Komodo is a very good engine, but it is not even the "best computer chess" playing engine when some other engine also use one CPU core, and not even in the other programs league when they run on multi-cores.

I happen to like Komodo 3 very much. I have it playing on ICC for the past week or so against all the hardware beasts there, and it is holding its own on my quad Q6600 machine(using 1 thread of course).

It just went through a series and got clobbered by a guy claiming to be using Brutus 8.05 in 32 1 min bullet games. Just due to hardware alone, I wouldn't expect to win many.

If an SMP version exists, I would love to even the playing field a touch (4 core vs 4 core). I think Komodo would do quite well. It handles all the Rybka and Houdini clones just fine.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Peter Skinner wrote:
mwyoung wrote:

I happen to like Komodo 3 very much. I have it playing on ICC for the past week or so against all the hardware beasts there, and it is holding its own on my quad Q6600 machine(using 1 thread of course).

It just went through a series and got clobbered by a guy claiming to be using Brutus 8.05 in 32 1 min bullet games. Just due to hardware alone, I wouldn't expect to win many.

If an SMP version exists, I would love to even the playing field a touch (4 core vs 4 core). I think Komodo would do quite well. It handles all the Rybka and Houdini clones just fine.

Peter
My point is before testers start stating a program is playing the best chess ever in the history of computer chess. I think the program needs to be the best in fact not opinion. Make them earn it, do not give it away.

Komodo is a good program, but lets get real. It does not play the best chess. Komodo does not even play on more then one cpu core. How can you say a program is the best ever when it can not beat all the other programs playing with one core.

Unless we are willing to say Komodo plays the best chess with the best style, even though there are programs that Komodo can not beat with inferior styles and chess skill. If the above is true.

It has no logic....