PGN Extract

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JManion

Re: PGN Extract

Post by JManion »

I can not even get the interface to open because of the error.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

JManion wrote:I can not even get the interface to open because of the error.
From the readme file.
B. Files Required
1. Pgn-extract.exe, you can take it from this site http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/djb/extract.html.
2. eco.pgn, can take also from same site in (1).
3. pgn-extract help file, from here
http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/people/staff/d ... /help.html.
4. If the program will not run, you may need to install .Net framework 3.5 from here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... quirements.
JManion

Post by JManion »

Have it installed already.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

JManion wrote:2 questions

1. When I downloaded the interface and the pgn extract, I put them in the same folder. I then clicked on the pgn-interface and got the following error

unable to find a version of runtime to run this app.

2. I tried to follow the directions without the interface. I putt he pgn file in the folder. I doubled clicked on the process file. In 1 second it was done and the pgn disappeared. I checked the folders and I had all blank files.

The pgn is roughly 2 GB with plenty of games.

thanks for the help
I checked the net and indeed there are people who have experienced this.
If you are interested can you tell me your os, 32 bit or 64 bit, and all the .net framework installed in your system. I will try to research a bit on this error.
2. I tried to follow the directions without the interface. I putt he pgn file in the folder. I doubled clicked on the process file.
Not sure about this process file, where this file came from?
JManion

Post by JManion »

Windows XP 64 bit, network 4.0 installed.

I guess I did not understand the read me file. I assumed since it says "drop your pgn file into the folder containing batch script and on the command line type process."

I understood this to mean put my pgn file in this folder and double click on the process windows batch file. This did generate the following pgn files, black wins, white wins, draws, no results, processed. However all of these files where blank.

I now tried to just double click on pgn-extract(step 2) to see what happens. It says processing stdin but after an hour it still says that and nothing seems to be happening.
Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

JManion wrote:Windows XP 64 bit, network 4.0 installed.

I guess I did not understand the read me file. I assumed since it says "drop your pgn file into the folder containing batch script and on the command line type process."

I understood this to mean put my pgn file in this folder and double click on the process windows batch file. This did generate the following pgn files, black wins, white wins, draws, no results, processed. However all of these files where blank.

I now tried to just double click on pgn-extract(step 2) to see what happens. It says processing stdin but after an hour it still says that and nothing seems to be happening.
Hi Josh,

I think you are mixing up two separate tools. I posted link to my batch script for pgn-extract at the top of the thread and
Ferdinand posted links to his gui frontend for pgn-extract further down. They dont work in conjunction.

Jim.

Jim.
JManion

Post by JManion »

Hi Jim

I downloaded what you posted, because i thought I would be able to use it to get rid of duplicate files in my pgn file.

However if that is not the case if you could point me to the right software that would be wonderful.

From the directions, in this program I thought I was supposed to put the pgn in the cleanup 14 folder and then double click on the process file. I learned this was not correct when it produced blank files.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

JManion wrote:Hi Jim

I downloaded what you posted, because i thought I would be able to use it to get rid of duplicate files in my pgn file.

However if that is not the case if you could point me to the right software that would be wonderful.

From the directions, in this program I thought I was supposed to put the pgn in the cleanup 14 folder and then double click on the process file. I learned this was not correct when it produced blank files.

Any help would be appreciated.
Hi Josh,

Don't know why my batch script is not working for you, although I haven't tested it in 64 bit OS, maybe that is why.
Ferdinand's frontend for pgn-extract is here > https://sites.google.com/site/deuterium ... ownloads-1

Jim.
JManion

Post by JManion »

Yeah i downloaded that file also. When I tried that file it would not run and I got the following error.

Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

JManion wrote:Yeah i downloaded that file also. When I tried that file it would not run and I got the following error.

try 'pgntrim5' included with 'pgnutils' > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/PGNUTILS.zip

Jim.