Fwd: Open letter to the CSVN

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rebel

Re: Fwd: Open letter to the CSVN

Post by Rebel »

wgarvin wrote: If anyone wants to dispute the statements I've made in this post, I invite them to do so either here at talkchess, or over at open-chess.org. I don't read the Rybka forum though, so don't write your rebuttal there unless you actually prefer that I don't get to see it.
That's the problem then, you missed all the discussions at Rybka Forum. So how can you judge? Rybka forum has been the place to be since day one.

And speaking about Occam's Razor, Vas simply spoke the truth in email to David Levy.

““Hi David,

I'm not really sure what to say. The Rybka source code is original. I used lots of ideas from Fruit, as I have mentioned many times. Both Fruit and Rybka also use all sorts of common computer chess ideas.

Aside from that, this document is horribly bogus. All that "Rybka code" isn't Rybka code, it's just someone's imagination.

Best regards,
Vas”

Sometimes life is that simple.
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Rebel wrote:
That's the problem then, you missed all the discussions at Rybka Forum. So how can you judge? Rybka forum has been the place to be since day one.

And speaking about Occam's Razor, Vas simply spoke the truth in email to David Levy.

““Hi David,

I'm not really sure what to say. The Rybka source code is original. I used lots of ideas from Fruit, as I have mentioned many times. Both Fruit and Rybka also use all sorts of common computer chess ideas.

Aside from that, this document is horribly bogus. All that "Rybka code" isn't Rybka code, it's just someone's imagination.

Best regards,
Vas”

Hello Ed Schroder,

With all due respect - and there is a considerable amount on my part - that is just wrong.

Talkchess has been the place to be from year one so long ago.

This is where the news broke and this is where the matter has been discussed the most. This is where persons have dissected, analysed, disagreed, discussed and highlighted the most.

OpenChess has also conducted a fair amount of discussion on this topic.

Rybka forum?

I admit that there have been some interesting revelations from that forum but they did not seem to assist in the arguments that the Rybka version tested was not the real Rybka version etc.

For example, check the discussions on this forum after Fabien posted here after a hiatus...

Later.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

bhlangonijr wrote: The fact Ed was trying to challenge your skills instead of spending his efforts to refute the _real_ evidence just show how illintentioned he was.
Wrong guess.

Part of the challenge was to show how complex RE-programming is and open for wishful thinking.

For starters: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/reversedisasm.aspx

1.1 Intro:
I been ask many times is C++ decompiling even possible not only due to the complexity of a compiler but for the mass about of information loss in compiling, such as comments , include files, macros just to name a few. So one often wonders is this even worth pursing. Well I wanted to start out with the topic of what is totally loss when you compile a program and what stays there, refer to table 1.1.1 to see what we loses and remains.

1.2 Modern Day Examples:
Now when your reading this book you might start to think that , �anything translated info a different language can be retranslated back into the same language� right, well this is not the case in reverse engineering a lot of things will be lost, and a lot of things you must make up (assume) along the way.

It seems to me like an agenda against the panel members or some interest in Rybka's selling....
Why not and/or ?

:lol:

Admittedly, I was one of those who were defending Vas until I read the evidence.
I understand, I went the same road and signed the Fabien letter.
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
bhlangonijr wrote: The fact Ed was trying to challenge your skills instead of spending his efforts to refute the _real_ evidence just show how illintentioned he was.
Wrong guess.

Part of the challenge was to show how complex RE-programming is and open for wishful thinking.

For starters: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/reversedisasm.aspx

1.1 Intro:
I been ask many times is C++ decompiling even possible not only due to the complexity of a compiler but for the mass about of information loss in compiling, such as comments , include files, macros just to name a few. So one often wonders is this even worth pursing. Well I wanted to start out with the topic of what is totally loss when you compile a program and what stays there, refer to table 1.1.1 to see what we loses and remains.

1.2 Modern Day Examples:
Now when your reading this book you might start to think that , �anything translated info a different language can be retranslated back into the same language� right, well this is not the case in reverse engineering a lot of things will be lost, and a lot of things you must make up (assume) along the way.

It seems to me like an agenda against the panel members or some interest in Rybka's selling....
Why not and/or ?

:lol:

Admittedly, I was one of those who were defending Vas until I read the evidence.
I understand, I went the same road and signed the Fabien letter.
You should read what you quoted and try to understand it. You will discover that "what remains after compiling is the 'semantic definition' of the original source program". That is all we need. We don't need variable names. We don't need procedure names. We don't need comments. The "semantic meaning" of a program is all that is needed, because that is ALL that the computer uses to execute the thing. To imply that can't be compared to a source program simply shows a total lack of understanding of the compiling process...
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
bob wrote: An example from the Rybka forum. Ed stated categorically that I could not reverse engineer anything, in spite of programming in assembly language for 43+ years now, in spite of having written more than one compiler from scratch. And in spite of helping debug some of the gcc long long code when I started to use that compiler for Crafty in 1994. He picked out a piece of code from Zach's report and asked me to "identify the offset into the rybka binary where this code is found." Not only did I do that, I broke the assembly language code down, after locating it, and matched it up line for line with the C code given in Zach's report. Ed then claimed the test was no good, that I had cheated because the code had 4 if-tests and I just looked for 4 test instructions and "hoped it matched." Even though I had matched the asm line for line with the C to SHOW that it matched, EXACTLY.
Since when is semantics proof for code ?
Er, since FOREVER? When you compile a source, you get the semantic equivalent of that source, in the form of the executable. computer science 101.

You were asked to identify the backward pawn evaluation in the Rybka 1 executable, you found semantics and ASSUMED the code was about the evaluation of backward pawns. That code could mean anything.
As I told you there, I did not ASSUME anything. I cranked the program up under the debugger, let it run, interrupted it, and then dumped the variables in question. As I said CLEARLY, the first one I examined were the ones that hold the bitboards for the pawns, they are pre-loaded at the top of pawn eval. It is pretty easy to recognize that a 64 bit value would have 8 bits on the 2nd rank for white pawns, and 8 bits on the 7th rank for the black pawns, don't you think? In the first if statement (I think) the first argument points to a 64 bit value with 1 bits set on adjacent files that are behind the current pawn's square. I told you that. You could verify it yourself, you DO have a MS debugger, don't you?

That's what hung me up for an hour or so, I saw the right masks and things, but there were only 3 subs. Until I FINALLY noticed that in Zach's code, the second sub after the else was not attached to the else, even though the indenting suggested it was. This is not a hard thing to do.

My standards are a bit higher than yours.

Obviously not. You don't read what I write, nor try to understand it. I didn't guess, I looked. It was easy enough, as I had previously told you. I spent more time formatting my post than I did uncovering the data, since I already knew where pawn eval code was...

Assembler is a language like English, French, Dutch are languages. An average human knows about 10,000 words. Assembler is about a few: mov, add, sub, comp, test, jumps mainly. Semantics with such a limited vocabulary is expected everywhere.

Furthermore Fruit and Rybka are talking a different language Mailbox vs Bitboard which makes the use of semantics laughable. Just look left vs right in Zach's document regarding backward pawns, it's totally different.
If you don't know what you are looking for. But what is the chances that the programs both do the same things, in the same order? You said order counted. Pawn eval for both match in the order. Recanting your opinion now???

What you need to proof is "copied code", not sematics.
Aha. You REALLY do not "get it." Look up and understand semantics first. If a compiler doesn't produce a binary that is the semantic equivalent of the original source, the compiler is no frigging good... Since the binary will not do what is expected... jeez your knowledge is lacking here. REALLY lacking...
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
wgarvin wrote: If anyone wants to dispute the statements I've made in this post, I invite them to do so either here at talkchess, or over at open-chess.org. I don't read the Rybka forum though, so don't write your rebuttal there unless you actually prefer that I don't get to see it.
Of all the dishonest statements you have made, that has to be at the top of the heap. "The Rybka Forum has been the place to be since day 1?" The Rybka Forum didn't know about the "problem" for years. CCC has, and will continue to be, "the place to be". Exactly WHAT technical expertise do you see on the Rybka Forum?

:)

(BTW, I did answer the above question myself. Right after the question. Notice the <empty string> answer?)

““Hi David,

Best regards,
Vas”

bob

Post by bob »

Thomas Mayer wrote:Hi Uri,
Uri Blass wrote:I consider Vas to be a programmer and not a hacker / cloner.
accepted, I was always one of those that said we shouldn't forget Vas' achievements in computerchess - anyway, he is no longer acceptable in offical programmer computer chess tournaments as long he completely denies to coopertate in any form with the ICGA or the panel. I agree with Ed and others that a lifetime ban is way off, but to disqualify him from any tourneys he had played was the right thing.
Uri Blass wrote:I think that the case of Rybka is clearly in the grey area that means that there is no agreement between chess programmers if Vas is quilty.
You know the rules of the ICGA-events, do you ? And in case of qualified questions (and the result of the panel is VERY qualified) you have to ANSWER the questions or you get disqualified. There is no grey area. Still, this does not completely proof that he is quitly, but it does proof to 100% that he doesn't respect the rules.
Uri Blass wrote:I did not investigate the evidence but I understand that some programmers like Ed of Rebel and Chris of CStal read the evidence and it did not convince them that Vas is quilty.
as far as I know Ed himself believes that Vas is quilty but he has problems with the lifetime ban. And Chris ? Well, Twitty is almost against everything, whatever you bring up, Chris will be prepared for a "BUT".
Uri Blass wrote:It is not something clear like other cases(for example all agree that the similiarity between Toga and Fruit is bigger than the similiarity between Rybka and Fruit).
I tell you what I think how Rybka 1 might have been created: Fruit source on left monitor, blank page on right screen. Goal: translate Fruit to bitboard and optimize as much as possible. Of course later Rybkas got more and more different to that, but that's the start and at least there was enough of the Fruit body left in v2.3.2a (the newest one that was investigated) to see the origins. In the beginning I thought as well, that this can't be possible, nobody would base any commercial project on something like that. Well, it seems I was way to naive.

Greets, Thomas
I'll tell you what I think.

Rybka 1.6.1 on right monitor, fruit on left. On right monitor, delete search, eval, move ordering, move selection, etc. Keep basic bitboard framework that was copied from Crafty 19.x. Now start moving pieces of Fruit over. And translating them to bitboards, without changing anything. You end up with a "bitboard fruit". Now you start improving that. After saving a LOT of time by copying two programs first.
marcelk

Post by marcelk »

Rebel wrote:What you need to proof is "copied code", not sematics.
This is where your interpretation of copyright seems narrower than that of case law. One could take the plot of a book, replace the names of the characters, replace the settings from one country to another, replace the language in which the story is told, and insert a few chapters with a another plot line in them; and it might very well still be a derivative work protected by the original copyright, depending on how much of the plot you have taken and how much of that plot is unique to the original work. Non-literal elements are protected by copyright: the protection doesn't restrict itself to just expression. Hollywood movie scripts are a living example.

This principle has been applied to computer programs as well. Most famously:
Whelan vs. Jaslow
the court held that copyright in a computer program protects the non-literal structure, sequence and organization of that program. Consequently, copyright infringement could be found for these elements even in the absence of direct source code or object code copying.
geots

Post by geots »

Rebel wrote:
bob wrote: An example from the Rybka forum. Ed stated categorically that I could not reverse engineer anything, in spite of programming in assembly language for 43+ years now, in spite of having written more than one compiler from scratch. And in spite of helping debug some of the gcc long long code when I started to use that compiler for Crafty in 1994. He picked out a piece of code from Zach's report and asked me to "identify the offset into the rybka binary where this code is found." Not only did I do that, I broke the assembly language code down, after locating it, and matched it up line for line with the C code given in Zach's report. Ed then claimed the test was no good, that I had cheated because the code had 4 if-tests and I just looked for 4 test instructions and "hoped it matched." Even though I had matched the asm line for line with the C to SHOW that it matched, EXACTLY.

You were asked to identify the backward pawn evaluation in the Rybka 1 executable, you found semantics and ASSUMED the code was about the evaluation of backward pawns. That code could mean anything.

Assembler is a language like English, French, Dutch are languages. An average human knows about 10,000 words. Assembler is about a few: mov, add, sub, comp, test, jumps mainly. Semantics with such a limited vocabulary is expected everywhere.

Furthermore Fruit and Rybka are talking a different language Mailbox vs Bitboard which makes the use of semantics laughable. Just look left vs right in Zach's document regarding backward pawns, it's totally different.

Ed, I don't know why you worry with Hyatt. He already knows everything you say is true. Any programmer worth his salt can take the facts and make them fit the story he chooses. And if he is smart enough at shell games, aka "misdirection"- he can run you in circles for weeks by only pretending he doesn't understand what you are trying to say.

It's all being worked out- just be patient.

gts
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

geots wrote:
Rebel wrote:

Bob, I don't know why you worry with Schroder. He already knows everything you say is true. Any programmer worth his salt can take the facts and make them fit the story he chooses. And if he is smart enough at shell games, aka "misdirection"- he can run you in circles for weeks by only pretending he doesn't understand what you are trying to say.

It's all being worked out- just be patient.

gts
That's hilarious!

Just switch the names around and that pretty much sums it up!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Terry McCracken