Fritz 13: “Let’s Check”

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Re: Fritz 13: “Let’s Check”

Post by Albert Silver »

Laskos wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

All I can say is that I think you have little idea how much engines are relied upon in opening research nowadays.
Yes, using mostly blunder check and databases of human games.
You really shouldn't make such statements when you don't know what you are talking about.
Please release your secret information about how GMs are using comps for openings LOL.

Kai
Well, it is a pity you have chosen to resort to personal attacks, since that is where I draw the line in forum debates.

It is no news I have access to Super GMs and GMs on a regular basis, plus I have worked with more than one. Coincidentally, in the next room, not 5 meters from where I am, GM Leitão is doing openings work with an IM friend, at whose home I am staying while I cover the Grand Slam Masters. So yes, I'd say I have a very good idea as to how it really goes.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Albert Silver wrote:
Laskos wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

All I can say is that I think you have little idea how much engines are relied upon in opening research nowadays.
Yes, using mostly blunder check and databases of human games.
You really shouldn't make such statements when you don't know what you are talking about.
Please release your secret information about how GMs are using comps for openings LOL.

Kai
Well, it is a pity you have chosen to resort to personal attacks, since that is where I draw the line in forum debates.
Sorry, it's you the first who resorted to personal attacks by saying that I am not a chess player at all. Chess players are only those using Fritz 13 paid doubtful services, I guess, with the help of your misleading propaganda.
It is no news I have access to Super GMs and GMs on a regular basis, plus I have worked with more than one. Coincidentally, in the next room, not 5 meters from where I am, GM Leitão is doing openings work with an IM friend, at whose home I am staying while I cover the Grand Slam Masters. So yes, I'd say I have a very good idea as to how it really goes.
Good, therefore you can enlighten me on the subject, as I know only the publicly expressed practices of GMs. Those practices were not in line with your view that the new Fritz opening database would be helpful in the opening preparation of GMs.

Anyway, the better part is that the database is available till the end of 2014 (as I saw in an another post), I was thinking of short paid subscription to this doubtful thing. Doubtful as it is, it's almost for free for a long time, so I don't object much to your propaganda.

Kai
Nelson Hernandez

Post by Nelson Hernandez »

I don't think any of the posters really appreciate what a revolutionary development this is. It's as big, if not bigger, than the emergence of chess databases.

It's not a question of having "all positions". It's purely an archive of positions that have been seen or analyzed. With the collective power of thousands of active people this thing will achieve enormous size over time, and the features you see today will doubtless be enhanced as time goes on.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Meanwhile, chessbase.de has done a YouTube video (in 3 parts) where we see a little bit of how it works, from a user perspective. The audio is in german language though, for now:

http://www.chessbase.de/programme/fritz ... ssbase.asp

Surprisingly, the ranking of the up to 3 analyses is not simply ordered by calculation depths, but "somehow" differently.
Regards, Mike
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Nelson Hernandez wrote:I don't think any of the posters really appreciate what a revolutionary development this is. It's as big, if not bigger, than the emergence of chess databases.
Yes, it's more revolutionary than the invention of Chess.

It's not a question of having "all positions". It's purely an archive of positions that have been seen or analyzed. With the collective power of thousands of active people this thing will achieve enormous size over time, and the features you see today will doubtless be enhanced as time goes on.
True, there will be thousands of people analyzing thousands of positions each, resulting in an almost infinite, hard to imagine number of well analyzed positions. I am sure we all will solve the chess using the new Fritz database.

Kai
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Laskos wrote:
Nelson Hernandez wrote:I don't think any of the posters really appreciate what a revolutionary development this is. It's as big, if not bigger, than the emergence of chess databases.
Yes, it's more revolutionary than the invention of Chess.

True, there will be thousands of people analyzing thousands of positions each, resulting in an almost infinite, hard to imagine number of well analyzed positions. I am sure we all will solve the chess using the new Fritz database.

Kai
:lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re:The collectivization of computer chess !

Post by Sylwy »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Hi Doc !

How are you ?

This new Fritzy 13 (predestined) feature - “Let’s Check” - seems to me a true collectivization of the computer chess databases ! :lol:
Well , at least until the 31-th of Dec 2014 Anno Christi !
So , give me your analysis and............bye-bye ! :lol:
Maybe one of my chess analysis values 1,000,000 $ (at least) !

Explanation of this pic:
a ChessBase GmbH scientific manager (in the right area of my above photo) explaining to some Eastern peasants how to use this new revolutionary feature !

Have a nice weekend Doc !
SilvianR :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Sylwy on Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karol Majewski

Post by Karol Majewski »

One question to those who have purchased F13: Is "Let's Check" feature optional? I'm going to buy F13 GUI, but I'm not going to use this feature.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re:The collectivization of computer chess !

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Sylwy wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Hi Doc !

How are you ?

This new Fritzy 13 (predestined) feature - “Let’s Check” - seems to me a true collectivization of the computer chess databases ! :lol: Well , at least until the 31-th of Dec 2014 Anno Christi !
So , give me your analysis and............bye-bye ! :lol:
Maybe one of my chess analysis values 1,000,000 $.

Have a nice weekend Doc !
SilvianR :lol:
Hi my friend :D

I am confused....I mean if this new feature will solve chess,why the hell I am playing all these chess engines and building a rating list :shock: :?:

If it was all on me,I'd rather call it
Let's Chick regards,
Dr.D

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Nelson Hernandez

Post by Nelson Hernandez »

You laugh, but that only means you don't get it. We all know there is a finite but gigantic number of possible chess positions. This project does not mean to analyze every possible position: it cannot. It intends to analyze positions that have actually happened, and beyond that, positions that people contribute that are extensions of what has already happened. I can tell you that in terms of what positions have actually happened N>1 times that a very large database, i.e. something bigger than Chessbase's, would at this time consist of a few hundred million positions.

Now, it is very, very possible for any one person with enough dedicated hardware to analyze a few hundred million positions to some shallow depth, maybe one or two seconds per position. That's a provable fact. And if that is possible, then imagine what is possible if a lot of people work in a semi-coordinated, let alone systematic, manner. And then imagine what happens as the number of cores on a cheap machine multiplies again and again.