The Power Chess Project is over

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kemuri

Re: The Power Chess Project is over

Post by Kemuri »

mwyoung wrote:
Kemuri wrote:
mwyoung wrote:After less then 24 hours I am around 50th on the Honors List.
How do you get on the list??
Let's Check instructions:....
I know I've seen that - I meant what did YOU do. Did you choose "contribute engine" or did you just leave it analysing your own positions..?
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Kemuri wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
Kemuri wrote:
mwyoung wrote:After less then 24 hours I am around 50th on the Honors List.
How do you get on the list??
Let's Check instructions:....
I know I've seen that - I meant what did YOU do. Did you choose "contribute engine" or did you just leave it analysing your own positions..?
You can do that contribute engine...

I am now 39th (SaintLouisChess) on the Honors list. I found the fastest way the help the database and rise on the Honors list is to use Let's Check Analyse Game. Set to win variation. Min tme 0 , Max time 600.

I am always computer analysing games anyway, from major tournaments of today, and also the classic games of the past.

All good games need to be computer researched for the database.
A almost limitless supply of great games, so join the fun.

Hope this helps.
Kemuri

Post by Kemuri »

thanks
Dave_N

Post by Dave_N »

I actually prefer the the Aquarium UI to Fritz any day, I think Fritz has an "over-done" display for the 2D board, as though they used DirectX to render it with wood shaders. The Aquarium board is faster and the ability to select text output from the engine and scroll the cursel to see moves played on the board is much more interesting.

The "let's check" feature spells another final nail in the coffin of correspondence chess.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Dave_N wrote:I actually prefer the the Aquarium UI to Fritz any day, I think Fritz has an "over-done" display for the 2D board, as though they used DirectX to render it with wood shaders. The Aquarium board is faster and the ability to select text output from the engine and scroll the cursel to see moves played on the board is much more interesting.

The "let's check" feature spells another final nail in the coffin of correspondence chess.
I own all the gui's and Aquarium is a bag full of buggy trash.
I can't use it.

Fritz 13 is the best GUI I have seen come out of chessbase, it is very good.

And the Let's Check features are great for all chess players.
Dave_N

Post by Dave_N »

I don't find Aquarium very buggy, in fact I think it is ok if you know what you are doing, the way the engine moves update look very intuitive (for Rybka at least).

Fritz 12 has the problem of engines not shutting down or slowing in mutli processor mode, this app will freeze your computer if you aren't careful.
Furthermore, why can't I click a move without the computer automatically kibitzing and slowing down my experience ... if I need to shut down an engine by force I keep needing task manager. So I am left with single core mode. This is why I think Fritz is a D3D graphic masterpiece in a game that doesn't even need 3D pixel shaders.

However I am not a fan of Rybka for the obvious reason, and for some reason I don't fully trust Fritz UI either. So that leaves me with Arena (this ui is better than you might think) or Cutechess or whatever I make for myself (more buggy than most at this stage, possibly thanks to the original code).
Dave_N

Post by Dave_N »

I don't want to slander a good product so ...

In fact Fritz UI is pretty fun to use anyway, I just find that the grip on the market is unfortunate - the aquarium products are pretty good, the board is built for speed and not graphical perfection, perhaps more suited to my style.

- If I could improve Fritz ui I would make the right click on the notation panel inactive for selecting moves, instead a move would be selected with left click.

- The engine would not kibitz automatically after stop had been clicked when new moves are clicked, instead there should be a working button to stop Kibitzing.

- I would bake the board texture using a ray trace program and stop irritating programmers with the D3D viewport background - why doesn't the board window stay square like it does in Arena ? Instead they want to show a wood background but it defaults to the cool blue default graphics sample clear color.