Strelka 5 by Yuriy Osipov

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Posts: 3697
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Aquarium Strelka 5.0 Super-Pro !

Post by Steve B » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:25 am

Hi Robert
Read the article about you in this months issue of Selective Search

nice photos
beautiful child you have there ..your a lucky man..everything else pales in comparison to that which i guess you realize already
if you want to avoid all of these negative posts just take my previous advice
establish your own forum while Houdini is all the rave and let the members defend it for you

PhotoGraphic Regards
Steve

gerold
Posts: 10121
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: van buren,missouri

Re: Aquarium Strelka 5.0 Super-Pro !

Post by gerold » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:55 am

Steve B wrote:Hi Robert
Read the article about you in this months issue of Selective Search

nice photos
beautiful child you have there ..your a lucky man..everything else pales in comparison to that which i guess you realize already
if you want to avoid all of these negative posts just take my previous advice
establish your own forum while Houdini is all the rave and let the members defend it for you

PhotoGraphic Regards
Steve
Plus one.

Best,
Gerold.

User avatar
Laskos
Posts: 10949
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Strelka 5 by Yuriy Osipov

Post by Laskos » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:35 pm

Uri Blass wrote:
Laskos wrote:Strong result from Strelka 5 with the new x64 compile

Code: Select all

    Program                            Score     %        Elo    +   -    Draws

  1 Houdini 1.5a x64               : 1114.0/2180  51.1   3204   12  12   34.0 %
  2 Strelka 5                      : 1066.0/2180  48.9   3196   12  12   34.0 %
Only 8 +/- 12 (95% confidence) Elo points weaker than Houdini 1.5a.

Kai
What is the time control?
I guess it is something like 6 seconds per game+0.1 second per move otherwise you could not have time to get so many games.

If you can make another match between them at time control that is 10 times longer then it may be interesting.
I used 4x time control, 4s + 0.4s, ~1 minute/game.

Code: Select all

    Program                            Score     %       Elo    +   -    Draws

  1 Houdini 1.5a x64               : 2122.0/4120  51.5   3205    8   8   36.5 %
  2 Strelka 5                      : 1998.0/4120  48.5   3195    8   8   36.5 %
Strelka 5x64 is weaker than Houdini 1.5ax64 by 10 +/ - 8 (95% confidence) Elo points. A new x64 compile of Strelka will probably be available soon.

Kai

Osipov Jury
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:07 pm
Location: Russia

Re: Aquarium Strelka 5.0 Super-Pro !

Post by Osipov Jury » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Houdini wrote: ...both Jury's offer and my answer are kind of a private joke between us.

Robert
This is not joke. I sent to your email sources of Strelka 5. Waiting for your response.
I went through the Rybka code forwards and backwards and took many things.

bob
Posts: 20923
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL

Re: Strelka 5 by Yuriy Osipov

Post by bob » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Laskos wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Laskos wrote:Strong result from Strelka 5 with the new x64 compile

Code: Select all

    Program                            Score     %        Elo    +   -    Draws

  1 Houdini 1.5a x64               : 1114.0/2180  51.1   3204   12  12   34.0 %
  2 Strelka 5                      : 1066.0/2180  48.9   3196   12  12   34.0 %
Only 8 +/- 12 (95% confidence) Elo points weaker than Houdini 1.5a.

Kai
What is the time control?
I guess it is something like 6 seconds per game+0.1 second per move otherwise you could not have time to get so many games.

If you can make another match between them at time control that is 10 times longer then it may be interesting.
I used 4x time control, 4s + 0.4s, ~1 minute/game.

Code: Select all

    Program                            Score     %       Elo    +   -    Draws

  1 Houdini 1.5a x64               : 2122.0/4120  51.5   3205    8   8   36.5 %
  2 Strelka 5                      : 1998.0/4120  48.5   3195    8   8   36.5 %
Strelka 5x64 is weaker than Houdini 1.5ax64 by 10 +/ - 8 (95% confidence) Elo points. A new x64 compile of Strelka will probably be available soon.

Kai
I am not sure I quite buy that 10 +/- 8. It seems closer to 10 +/- 16, because each individual rating has a +/-8 error. When you subtract, both error bars should be included.

User avatar
Houdini
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Aquarium Strelka 5.0 Super-Pro !

Post by Houdini » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:17 pm

Osipov Jury wrote:This is not joke. I sent to your email sources of Strelka 5. Waiting for your response.
Nope, didn't get anything at houdini@cruxis.be .

Michel
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Strelka 5 by Yuriy Osipov

Post by Michel » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:18 pm

I am not sure I quite buy that 10 +/- 8. It seems closer to 10 +/- 16, because each individual rating has a +/-8 error. When you subtract, both error bars should be included.
I don't think so. The scores are not independent (if one of them goes up, the other goes down). So +/- 8 looks correct.

Even if the score were independent the error bar should only be multiplied by 1.4.

EDIT: Actually I am not sure. I thought that the way Bayes Elo is set up
is such that the +/- 8 really refers to the difference. But I am not sure.
Last edited by Michel on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Laskos
Posts: 10949
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Strelka 5 by Yuriy Osipov

Post by Laskos » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:19 pm

bob wrote:
Laskos wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Laskos wrote:Strong result from Strelka 5 with the new x64 compile

Code: Select all

    Program                            Score     %        Elo    +   -    Draws

  1 Houdini 1.5a x64               : 1114.0/2180  51.1   3204   12  12   34.0 %
  2 Strelka 5                      : 1066.0/2180  48.9   3196   12  12   34.0 %
Only 8 +/- 12 (95% confidence) Elo points weaker than Houdini 1.5a.

Kai
What is the time control?
I guess it is something like 6 seconds per game+0.1 second per move otherwise you could not have time to get so many games.

If you can make another match between them at time control that is 10 times longer then it may be interesting.
I used 4x time control, 4s + 0.4s, ~1 minute/game.

Code: Select all

    Program                            Score     %       Elo    +   -    Draws

  1 Houdini 1.5a x64               : 2122.0/4120  51.5   3205    8   8   36.5 %
  2 Strelka 5                      : 1998.0/4120  48.5   3195    8   8   36.5 %
Strelka 5x64 is weaker than Houdini 1.5ax64 by 10 +/ - 8 (95% confidence) Elo points. A new x64 compile of Strelka will probably be available soon.

Kai
I am not sure I quite buy that 10 +/- 8. It seems closer to 10 +/- 16, because each individual rating has a +/-8 error. When you subtract, both error bars should be included.
No Bob, that's simple. In an individual match the error is exactly 8 Elo points 2 standard deviations (95 % confidence). If one compares two individual results in a rating list comprising many independent, individual matches, giving X Elo points for both engines total error in the rating list, the error comparing these two engines is X*sqrt(2). In a rating list of many independent matches, one engine having an error X and another Y, the error when comparing them is sqrt(X^2 + Y^2).

Kai

User avatar
Laskos
Posts: 10949
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:21 pm
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: Strelka 5 by Yuriy Osipov

Post by Laskos » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Michel wrote:
I am not sure I quite buy that 10 +/- 8. It seems closer to 10 +/- 16, because each individual rating has a +/-8 error. When you subtract, both error bars should be included.
I don't think so. The scores are not independent (if one of them goes up, the other goes down). So +/- 8 looks correct.

Even if the score were independent the error bar should only be multiplied by 1.4.

EDIT: Actually I am not sure. I thought that the way Bayes Elo is set up
is such that the +/- 8 really refers to the difference. But I am not sure.
It's ELOstat, and +/- 8 does really refer to difference in an individual match.

Kai

Osipov Jury
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:07 pm
Location: Russia

Re: Aquarium Strelka 5.0 Super-Pro !

Post by Osipov Jury » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:00 pm

Houdini wrote:
Osipov Jury wrote:This is not joke. I sent to your email sources of Strelka 5. Waiting for your response.
Nope, didn't get anything at houdini@cruxis.be .
I tried twice to send. From jury_osipov@mail.ru and jury_osipov@yahoo.com
I went through the Rybka code forwards and backwards and took many things.

Post Reply