No Houdini personalities yet ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

I am surprised that no personality has yet been posted that kicks Houdini 1.5a and Houdini 2.0 around. :roll:
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
rodolfoleoni

Re: No Houdini personalities yet ?

Post by rodolfoleoni »

Everybody is probably busy with the newest star, Strelka 5. Not me... ChessGui is keeping all cores of my pc, testing several nullmove settings with the Baron. :)
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Is the Baron now competitive with the Strelkas and Critters and Stockfishes of the world? And is the plural of Stockfish "Stockfish" or "Stockfishes?" :)
rodolfoleoni

Post by rodolfoleoni »

It's not a top engine. On my i7, with 2 cpus for each engine and ponder on, it performs a bit better than Bright, but a bit worse than Spark, to give an idea. The author, Richard Pijl, has no much free time to dedicate to the engine. Work and family come first. :) But the engine has a good potential, and I enjoy very much helping with my tests.

And about Stockfishes.... no idea. :)
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

rodolfoleoni wrote:.. ChessGui is keeping all cores of my pc, testing several nullmove settings with the Baron. :)
A pity that I have not yet made it stable enough to allow scrolling around without pausing games. :(

That is on to-do list.
rodolfoleoni

Post by rodolfoleoni »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
rodolfoleoni wrote:.. ChessGui is keeping all cores of my pc, testing several nullmove settings with the Baron. :)
A pity that I have not yet made it stable enough to allow scrolling around without pausing games. :(

That is on to-do list.
It's the very best GUI for my purposes anyway. In the Team fight mode, test results are much more reliable. A great work from you!
Rodolfo (The Baron Team)
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

tmokonen wrote: And is the plural of Stockfish "Stockfish" or "Stockfishes?" :)
It is stock fishes if you mean several types (species) of stock fish.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Thank you for the info. Every time I log in to the ChessWar chat room, Richard is there, but 99% of the time it is in name only.

I do wish, of course, that a new public version would come out, but I understand his motivation for making it private.
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:No Houdini personalities yet ?

I am surprised that no personality has yet been posted that kicks Houdini 1.5a and Houdini 2.0 around. :roll:
Hi Matthias!
Thanks for the great tool.
I'm well playing around with it, but I'm not an Elo-fetishist, I'm rather at the human players' side and therefore would prefer Fire still with the possibilities to reduce null move usage and elevate King's safety, that's what gives more funny chess to me, doesn't matter it costs Elo of course.
As for raising King's static eval in Hutiwuti, that doesn't do the same as King's safety does, I think.
Peter.
Chesstiger

Post by Chesstiger »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:No Houdini personalities yet ?

Thank you for the tool. It is awesome. Unfortunately, I haven't found a stronger config up to now. But I will continue testing. :D