Some large Polyglot books available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Some large Polyglot books available

Post by hgm »

Guenther wrote:Michel quote:

Code: Select all

========1.4.67b=================
- Disable "book learning". Polyglot saves learning information but does not use it itself, probably for a reason. I believe the booklearning concept of Polyglot is fundamentally broken. Learning information is engine specific so it should not be saved in the opening book (it might be saved elsewhere). There are other issues as well, such as copyright and the possibility of the proliferation of polluted books. Opening books can be improved with information from games by using the merge command. This is a form of off line learning which is probably much more effective since one has strict control over what kind of informataion is added to the book.
Ah, but that is not the Polyglot I package with WinBoard...
Last edited by hgm on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

hgm wrote:[quote="Guenther]Michel quote:

Code: Select all

========1.4.67b=================
- Disable "book learning". Polyglot saves learning information but does not use it itself, probably for a reason. I believe the booklearning concept of Polyglot is fundamentally broken. Learning information is engine specific so it should not be saved in the opening book (it might be saved elsewhere). There are other issues as well, such as copyright and the possibility of the proliferation of polluted books. Opening books can be improved with information from games by using the merge command. This is a form of off line learning which is probably much more effective since one has strict control over what kind of informataion is added to the book.

Ah, but that is not the Polyglot I package with WinBoard...
AFAIK there is no version of Polyglot where it really works,
or am I wrong?

Guenther
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

hgm

Post by hgm »

Guenther wrote:AFAIK there is no version of Polyglot where it really works,
or am I wrong?
Indeed, you are. It works in basically all versions of Polyglot before Michel disabled it, if you know how to avoid the bug:

The problem is that Polyglot opens the book as soon as you specify it. If at that point book learning is not yet on, because you specified the BookLearn option after the BookFile option, the book is opened read-only, and Polyglot will crash when it tries to write the book. But when you specify BookLearn=true before you specify BookFile, it works like a charm, because now Polyglot knows it has to open the book read/write.

Note that the book learning in Polyglot did have some imperfections, namely that it assumed the engine that finally lost did all moves for the side that lost. For a version that has that fixed, see the Polyglot 'learn' branch of my on-line source repository. It also uses another formula for using the learn info during move selection.

This is the version I package with WinBoard
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Thank you Matthew.
CositasBuenas

Post by CositasBuenas »

Here is another one of my bin-books. Generated from roughly 140,000 GM games rated 2500 and above.

http://www.mediafire.com/?06k61mpcmmhhgbb

Best regards,
Michael
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

hgm wrote:
Guenther wrote:AFAIK there is no version of Polyglot where it really works,
or am I wrong?
Indeed, you are. It works in basically all versions of Polyglot before Michel disabled it, if you know how to avoid the bug:

The problem is that Polyglot opens the book as soon as you specify it. If at that point book learning is not yet on, because you specified the BookLearn option after the BookFile option, the book is opened read-only, and Polyglot will crash when it tries to write the book. But when you specify BookLearn=true before you specify BookFile, it works like a charm, because now Polyglot knows it has to open the book read/write.

Note that the book learning in Polyglot did have some imperfections, namely that it assumed the engine that finally lost did all moves for the side that lost. For a version that has that fixed, see the Polyglot 'learn' branch of my on-line source repository. It also uses another formula for using the learn info during move selection.

This is the version I package with WinBoard
Is there a Windows exe built for the Polyglot that has learning fixed in the git?

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
hgm

Post by hgm »

No, the git only holds source code. But the Windows binary of that Polyglot is supplied with the WinBoard installer, both for 4.5.3 and 4.6.0.
Rubinus
Full name: Pavel Háse

Post by Rubinus »

Audmeister

Post by Audmeister »

Will this book learning function work under Fritz GUI, if the correct polyglot version is used and the option is set to true?

Also, is there any way to know that it is working?