Thank you Vincent!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Thank you Vincent!

Post by lkaufman »

If I understood your comments under the "bulldozer" thread and elsewhere correctly, you believe that SF, Rybka, and Ippolit were all the product of testing on thousands of cores costing millions of dollars, supplied by the US Government. This is a great complement to Don and I, as somehow we have surpassed all of those programs (comparing single-core to single-core) despite having only about 32 cores available for testing and despite having no external financial backing. Komodo has no particular similarity to any of these programs, though of course we benefitted from some basic ideas in them such as singular extension of the hash move. Our eval terms were tuned from scratch, as anyone who followed our development from Doch can confirm, since we made our whole eval public in the Doch period. Perhaps this would be a perfect item for Republican presidential candidates to use to show the inefficiency of government funded projects!
I have no inside info on SF or Ippolit, but regarding Rybka I can only comment on what happened between versions 2.2 and 3.0, the period I worked for Vas. He told me himself that parts of Rybka 2.2 (and perhaps back to Rybka 1) were automatically tuned, and if you are correct they could have been tuned on thousands of cores for all I know. However within weeks I was able to improve the Elo of Rybka significantly simply by using chess knowledge and very simple parameter tuning -- I could only play direct matches between Rybka versions changing one or two parameters at a time. Generally these matches were played at fixed depths of 6-10 plies (standard count, i.e. adding 3 to Rybka's count) so that 50,000-100,000 games could be played in a day or so (I had 12 cores then). So simply by using my chess knowledge (to propose new terms) and doing this simple tuning I was able to add perhaps 50 Elo points to Rybka 2.2 despite the slowdown (over 100 on a fixed-depth basis). So again, this is a great compliment; you imply that my common-sense ideas and simple tuning were vastly superior to automatic tuning on thousands of cores! Again, a wonderful example of government wastefulness for the Republicans to use!
Or are Don and I also part of this government-funded secret project to make a great chess program?
melajara

Re: Thank you Vincent!

Post by melajara »

But Larry, you know that you are not the average "tuner".
By initiating this thread, are you fishing for compliments? :lol:
Per ardua ad astra
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

melajara wrote:But Larry, you know that you are not the average "tuner".
How on earth could he even invent a more preposterous compliment than Vincent's? I mean, how do you improve on "your tuning skills are so incredible, it would take someone else with 4000 cores, and $100 million dollars to do as well".
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

melajara wrote:But Larry, you know that you are not the average "tuner".
Well, I'm hoping that Vincent will clarify whether he believes I really did out-tune 4000 cores using 12 cores, or whether he believes I must be using 4000 cores myself, which would be an even bigger compliment!
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

Of course you are part of a covert conspiracy with vast resources supplied by secretive US military sources. Why even ask the question?

-Sam
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

BubbaTough wrote:Of course you are part of a covert conspiracy...
Oh course he is! At the moment the "K Computer" ( http://www.top500.org/lists/2011/11/press-release) is the fastest in the world, using an un-imaginable number of processors. One of the programs in questions is named K omodo and the thread starter's name also begins with the letterK. This clearly proves everything!

vp
zamar

Post by zamar »

lkaufman wrote:This is a great complement to Don and I
Oh come on. I think it's evident that "the real Larry Kaufman" is kept in captivity in Guantamo.
Joona Kiiski
Andres Valverde

Post by Andres Valverde »

zamar wrote:
Oh come on. I think it's evident that "the real Larry Kaufman" is kept in captivity in Guantamo.
"The trouble with personalities on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine"

- Abraham Lincoln
Saludos, Andres
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

zamar wrote:
The problem with that theory is that there are not many Moslems named Kaufman. But I guess there only needs to be one for it to be possible.
diep

Post by diep »

lkaufman wrote:
zamar wrote:
The problem with that theory is that there are not many Moslems named Kaufman. But I guess there only needs to be one for it to be possible.

What i do know is that it's difficult to play blitz against me.

Around 11 years ago... I remember our first blitz game. I played someone who was a lot lower rated. It was Larry Kaufman. Back then i was in the top10 of the 5 0 competition at ICC. Somewhere in the early morning here i played on icc, very tired of course by then. Horrible opening. After some moves i win. Second game, went a tad better, though still lost position from opening. Eyes difficult to open. Played some moves. Again a win. 2-0 for me. I hadn't said a word so far. Then i received a tell: "you can't play chess", and i was censored and noplayed. It was not like unexpected for me to win those 2 games...

After a few hours of sleep some 20 hours later i arrived at the chessclub. Someone of my chessclub approaches me. I remember very well his exact words.

It was Frans Konings.

"Something very strange happened to me, i played Larry Kaufman and after i won some games i was noplayed and censored, very weird".

I told him the same thing happened to me.

Some people only show up when they get paid to do something. Most IM's and all GM's happen to fall into that category.

Thanks,
Vincent