Igca Rules are not coming from Mount Sinai

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: Igca Rules are not coming from Mount Sinai

Post by bob »

geots wrote:
fern wrote:If the Igca rules were to prevail in everything, scientific research would stop. Everything developed in every area comes from the use of previous materiel... To claim the obligation to reinvent the wheel each time, once and again, is preposterous.
Igca can establish the rules they wish for his competitions, but they have not moral or juridical weight, exception made of extreme cases of sheer copying.
To make of those rules kind of a divine decree is pedantic and sterile.
In fact, it is clear that it has been with all this supposed or real cloning, copying, codes stolen or lent, etc that the field has advanced at great steps these last three years after a lapse of comparative slowness and even stagnation.
Of course we have people that feel they have been hurt in his rights, and some times it has been so, but the progress is there to all to see.
Technological advance never has been a 100% clean affair regards
Fern

Fern, I do not think this is a coincidence that all the engines either criticized or criticized and also charges brought against- was done so by programmers who are not on the same level, for instance, as Vas. When I say not on the same level, hell- they are not on the same planet. What they were/are saying is "that you are not that much smarter than me, and you cannot basically make me look this inadequate. Therefore you have to be doing something illegal".

gts
No, what they said was "you (Vas) have to follow the same rules WE have followed for these many years of ICGA tournament competition." Nothing more, nothing less. I've pointed out many others that dominated for a period of time, at least 2 that dominated far longer than Vas (deep blue and chess 3.x/4.x). And then there was a period of time when Genius was supreme, then Fritz, then Shredder... And yet no one was "jealous" of any of those and accused them of cheating. Food for thought...
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

fern wrote: Igca Rules are not coming from Mount Sinai
How did you know?

During the drafting of the report I did spend time on Mount Sinai!!

A Distel

Post by A Distel »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
fern wrote: Igca Rules are not coming from Mount Sinai
How did you know?

During the drafting of the report I did spend time on Mount Sinai!!

+1
Lusakan

Post by Lusakan »

bob wrote:[No, what they said was "you (Vas) have to follow the same rules WE have followed for these many years of ICGA tournament competition." Nothing more, nothing less. I've pointed out many others that dominated for a period of time, at least 2 that dominated far longer than Vas (deep blue and chess 3.x/4.x). And then there was a period of time when Genius was supreme, then Fritz, then Shredder... And yet no one was "jealous" of any of those and accused them of cheating. Food for thought...
The guy who invented the sawing machine had his factory destroyed because he was going to ruin the hand sewing industry that had been the standard in the past, where each garment was a unique product. Because he didn't follow the same rules that THEY had followed for all the many years. Nothing more, nothing less.

A murder suspect could say in self defence: "I went to school for many years and never murdered any of my class mates even when they annoyed me. I worked for years and never murdered any of my workmates, some of whom pissed me off. Why now do you suggest I murdered my wife's boy friend? food for thought"
"you are OK, I am Ok"
fern

Post by fern »

Great! And it is true that there is a hot-dogs shop over there?

Fern
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Lusakan wrote:
bob wrote:[No, what they said was "you (Vas) have to follow the same rules WE have followed for these many years of ICGA tournament competition." Nothing more, nothing less. I've pointed out many others that dominated for a period of time, at least 2 that dominated far longer than Vas (deep blue and chess 3.x/4.x). And then there was a period of time when Genius was supreme, then Fritz, then Shredder... And yet no one was "jealous" of any of those and accused them of cheating. Food for thought...
The guy who invented the sawing machine had his factory destroyed because he was going to ruin the hand sewing industry that had been the standard in the past, where each garment was a unique product. Because he didn't follow the same rules that THEY had followed for all the many years. Nothing more, nothing less.

A murder suspect could say in self defence: "I went to school for many years and never murdered any of my class mates even when they annoyed me. I worked for years and never murdered any of my workmates, some of whom pissed me off. Why now do you suggest I murdered my wife's boy friend? food for thought"
Chris go beat your chest or whatever it is you pound in one of the sleazier forums.
Terry McCracken
bob

Post by bob »

Lusakan wrote:

I suspect the comment is simply "over your head". Please explain why none of "us" complained when chess 3.x/4.x dominated computer chess for 10 years, ditto for deep blue for 10 years. Nor genius/shredder/fritz which had multi-year runs themselves. Yet we took issue ONLY with Rybka and after a thorough investigation proved code was copied, the ICGA took punative action. Why "only Rybka"? Perhaps because it was the ONLY one suspected of copying code and then this was proved?

right...
Lusakan

Post by Lusakan »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Lusakan wrote:

Chris go beat your chest or whatever it is you pound in one of the sleazier forums.
Terry, we miss you over there at the pounding forums. Where have you been lately?
"you are OK, I am Ok"
Lusakan

Post by Lusakan »

bob wrote:
Lusakan wrote:

I suspect the comment is simply "over your head". Please explain why none of "us" complained when chess 3.x/4.x dominated computer chess for 10 years, ditto for deep blue for 10 years. Nor genius/shredder/fritz which had multi-year runs themselves. Yet we took issue ONLY with Rybka and after a thorough investigation proved code was copied, the ICGA took punative action. Why "only Rybka"? Perhaps because it was the ONLY one suspected of copying code and then this was proved?

right...
Maybe because you had real hope of improving Crafty back then and there was no need to fight outside the ring so to speak? Maybe because there where no Roberto Pescatores with the zeal to reverse engineer those programs for you back then? Maybe because those authors were your peers unlike this kid Vas who came from the blues to steal your thunder and leave you guys in the dust? Try and remember Bob.
"you are OK, I am Ok"
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Lusakan wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Lusakan wrote:

Terry, we miss you over there at the pounding forums. Where have you been lately?
I don't post in cesspools. However, you live within the drains. How sad it must be for you to live this way.
Terry McCracken