How much is hyperthreading hurting my chess performance...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: How much is hyperthreading hurting my chess performance.

Post by Terry McCracken »

CRoberson wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:Ok, thanks very much. So likely it is a good idea for quality analysis to turn of HT. But Turbo Boost? That sucks...
There are two parameters in question: turbo boost and the other is SpeedStep. SpeedStep allows the OS to adjust the speed up and down based on needs (mostly a green thing - you don't need hi GHz when nothing is happening).

I turn both off and OC my computer beyond what Turbo would do. If my computer is on, it is doing something.

It is up to you how accurate you want to be on your testing.
Yeah, I get it but don't overclock but would like to keep the boost when pushing it.
Terry McCracken
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Terry McCracken wrote:
CRoberson wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:Ok, thanks very much. So likely it is a good idea for quality analysis to turn of HT. But Turbo Boost? That sucks...
There are two parameters in question: turbo boost and the other is SpeedStep. SpeedStep allows the OS to adjust the speed up and down based on needs (mostly a green thing - you don't need hi GHz when nothing is happening).

I turn both off and OC my computer beyond what Turbo would do. If my computer is on, it is doing something.

Yeah, I get it but don't overclock but would like to keep the boost when pushing it.
The turbo boost is just a milder OC. Sure keep it on.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

CRoberson wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
CRoberson wrote:

The turbo boost is just a milder OC. Sure keep it on.
Ok, and thanks again!
Terry McCracken
Mincho Georgiev

Post by Mincho Georgiev »

Terry, I'll try to explain my experience with SB, it could be useful for you, because I'm trying to figure out what's working best during my tests also.
Now, first I'm using 80% of the time XP x64 as my primary OS.
What I've noticed is that the CPU advanced features turned on /HT especially/ are generating extremely noisy results and huge amount of randomness which I've never had before with any CPU (Intel or AMD).
I can't tell for sure how is it under linux, since I've only devoted it 20% of the time, but under Windows, and I suppose that this goes out to WIN7 as well, the thread scheduling with HT gets badly messed up. I never run with more than 30% utilization and still, the active core executes other threads. This is only a suspicion of mine and I can't give 100% guarantee that is correct, but at least IMO it is just like that.
What I'm doing right now is running all the tests without ANY of the advanced features turned on. I even switch off virtual technology and isochronious support and everything goes smooth.
There is no speed difference for me, but I don't use 8 threads as I assume you would want to.
Anyway, I don't think that other CPU features would have an impact on
the results correctness, but under XP64 hyper-threading and intel EIST - definitely.
However, I assume that this is a bit far from the subject, you wanted to know if there is a speed difference and I'm talking about correctness, but just wanted to share my experience.
daws

Post by daws »

Mincho Georgiev wrote:but under Windows, and I suppose that this goes out to WIN7 as well, the thread scheduling with HT gets badly messed up.
Well actually there is a difference in hyperthreading between XP 64 and Windows 7 64. Basically, XP can't tell the difference between a logical and a physical core whereas Windows 7 can. Theoretically, Windows 7 should always schedule available physical cores before logical cores, but this is not the case for XP.

For myself, I switched hyperthreading off, on my I7 860, almost two years ago and have never felt the need to switch it back on again. Although I remember noticing that tasks such as graphics rendering do benefit from hyperthreading. So I guess it's horses for courses.
Mincho Georgiev

Post by Mincho Georgiev »

daws wrote:
Mincho Georgiev wrote:but under Windows, and I suppose that this goes out to WIN7 as well, the thread scheduling with HT gets badly messed up.
Well actually there is a difference in hyperthreading between XP 64 and Windows 7 64. Basically, XP can't tell the difference between a logical and a physical core whereas Windows 7 can. Theoretically, Windows 7 should always schedule available physical cores before logical cores, but this is not the case for XP.
Possible. I'm unaware if that's the case.