ProDeo 1.74

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ron Langeveld

Re: ProDeo 1.74

Post by Ron Langeveld »

Graham Banks wrote:
Ron Langeveld wrote:What are you actually doing in this thread mister Banks, except making a knee jerk statement about controversial issues ? Do you really want to contaminate yet another thread with the same old cows ?
It's supposed to be a thread about ProDeo 1.74, Mr Langeveld.
This forum really is going to the dogs lately.
Yes, because people like you are unable to stay on topic.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Graham Banks wrote:It's pretty poor that members have to start personally attacking Ed and questioning his skills as a programmer just because he dared to have a different opinion regarding a recent controversial issue.
Could be and history will judge harsh on him.
Ron Langeveld

Post by Ron Langeveld »

Rebel wrote:
Ron Langeveld wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Ron Langeveld wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Kirk wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Kingghidorah wrote:Anyone get it to work right under Windows7 64 bit? I can only seem to get a 20MB hash at most?
Which chess interface are you using ?
Hi Ed!

How difficult would it be to add multi-variation mode support?
Hi Cliff,

It's not a matter of difficulty but of aversion as it has nothing to do with chess. And at my age I become lazier by the day :mrgreen:
I remember from the old days when I was a Rebel customer that you were an early adaptor (maybe even the first) of letting users pick the moves for Rebel to ponder on. Moves could be exclude from the search in them early days and I suppose that that also did not have to do anything with chess.

Sorry Ed, but over the last few years it doesn't sound as if you are making more sense. Actually from what I read in this forum you are making less sense with each week.
And you really think I programmed "Analyze Include" and "Analyze Exclude"? I invented it, then told the GUI programmer to do it.

Make sense now ?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Not really.

Obviously the feature wasn't trivial enough so you asked the GUI programmer to take care of it ? Now you don't have a GUI programmer so the non-trivial features are skipped because you are getting old and lazy ?

Hmmm, people sometimes talk about obfuscating chess code. I think I just witnessed something similar in your reply, or do you want me to belief that for exclude / include no real work was needed in the Rebel engine itself ? Could be, but it doesn't sound very plausible. When it is true I am starting to question Rebel's efficiency in those days. Anyway, that's all a lot of water under the bridge now.
Demand a feature and when you get no for an answer start to trample is what kiddies do. I don't care what you think, I care about what I think and that's doing the things I like and multi-variation, chess960, SMP etc. don't fall into that category. Something happened in 2004, I retired and reinvented life. I like it and want to keep it that way. Get used to it.
You retired and started to think about you and your family instead and no longer about 'customers'. I get the point, but that doesn't mean you should dismiss posters like 'kiddies'. Nobody demanded anything. I am certain I didn't. I couldn't care less about Rebel or Pro Deo but I do care when enthusiasts like Cliff are not being taken seriously, because that is what it sounds like when you state "It's not a matter of difficulty but of aversion as it has nothing to do with chess. And at my age I become lazier by the day".

Enjoy your pension.
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Graham Banks wrote: It's supposed to be a thread about ProDeo 1.74, Mr Langeveld.
This forum really is going to the dogs lately.

Hello Graham Banks,

Indeed.

Later.
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Graham Banks wrote:
Ron Langeveld wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Ron Langeveld wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Kirk wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Kingghidorah wrote:Anyone get it to work right under Windows7 64 bit? I can only seem to get a 20MB hash at most?
Which chess interface are you using ?
Hi Ed!

How difficult would it be to add multi-variation mode support?
Hi Cliff,

It's not a matter of difficulty but of aversion as it has nothing to do with chess. And at my age I become lazier by the day :mrgreen:
I remember from the old days when I was a Rebel customer that you were an early adaptor (maybe even the first) of letting users pick the moves for Rebel to ponder on. Moves could be exclude from the search in them early days and I suppose that that also did not have to do anything with chess.

Sorry Ed, but over the last few years it doesn't sound as if you are making more sense. Actually from what I read in this forum you are making less sense with each week.
And you really think I programmed "Analyze Include" and "Analyze Exclude"? I invented it, then told the GUI programmer to do it.

Make sense now ?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Not really.

Obviously the feature wasn't trivial enough so you asked the GUI programmer to take care of it ? Now you don't have a GUI programmer so the non-trivial features are skipped because you are getting old and lazy ?

Hmmm, people sometimes talk about obfuscating chess code. I think I just witnessed something similar in your reply, or do you want me to belief that for exclude / include no real work was needed in the Rebel engine itself ? Could be, but it doesn't sound very plausible. When it is true I am starting to question Rebel's efficiency in those days. Anyway, that's all a lot of water under the bridge now.
It's pretty poor that members have to start personally attacking Ed and questioning his skills as a programmer just because he dared to have a different opinion regarding a recent controversial issue.

Hello Graham,

I think it is pretty poor when a criticism has to be seen through your particular lens or world view.

I happen to think Ed is a wonderful programmer. Ditto for Dr. Miguel Ballicora.

What does that have to do with whether I supported their opinions on a recent controversial issue?

Your insertion seems mischievous and definitely creates unnecessary noise but as the forum has been going to the dogs lately I will leave it.

There is no personal attack in the post.

In fact Ed's reference to kiddies is perhaps a tease but why trouble that? Despite your opinions on the canine inclinations of the forum, I really think that others are entitled to other opinions, apart from ones which I hold.

Good thing that there is an election coming up and someone else can let the dogs out....wooof!

Later.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Roger Brown wrote:Hello Graham,

I think it is pretty poor when a criticism has to be seen through your particular lens or world view.

What does that have to do with whether I supported their opinions on a recent controversial issue?

Your insertion seems mischievous and definitely creates unnecessary noise but as the forum has been going to the dogs lately I will leave it.

In fact Ed's reference to kiddies is perhaps a tease but why trouble that? Despite your opinions on the canine inclinations of the forum, I really think that others are entitled to other opinions, apart from ones which I hold.

Good thing that there is an election coming up and someone else can let the dogs out....wooof!

Later.
Nice to see you're still around and that you're okay Roger.

Have you ever heard of idioms?
Every time I use one, you seem to take it literally rather than figuratively. Of course I'm assuming (and I apologise if I'm wrong) that English is your first language?

Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Graham Banks wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:Hello Graham,

Later.
Nice to see you're still around and that you're okay Roger.

Have you ever heard of idioms?
Every time I use one, you seem to take it literally rather than figuratively. Of course I'm assuming (and I apologise if I'm wrong) that English is your first language?

Graham.

Hello Graham,

Ever heard of condescending questions written by someone who knows no better? I am going to entertain you though....

Of course I have never heard of idioms, not having you as my teacher throughout my life.

As defined by The New International Webster’s College Dictionary, an idiom is an expression not readily analyzable from its grammatical construction or from the meaning of its component parts. It is the part of the distinctive form or construction of a particular language that has a specific form or style present only in that language.

The expression going to the dogs refers to a situation which has deteriorated badly. That is the meaning I had put to your expression.

Whether English is my first language or not is unimportant and hence, your meaningless potential apology is not required.

My command of the language is more than sufficient to understand your posts which up to now I had assumed were written by someone who understood nuances of the sardonic and the sarcastic.

My error.

Later.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ron Langeveld wrote:You retired and started to think about you and your family instead and no longer about 'customers'. I get the point, but that doesn't mean you should dismiss posters like 'kiddies'.
I was talking about your behaviour, not CCC.
Nobody demanded anything. I am certain I didn't. I couldn't care less about Rebel or Pro Deo but I do care when enthusiasts like Cliff are not being taken seriously, because that is what it sounds like when you state "It's not a matter of difficulty but of aversion as it has nothing to do with chess. And at my age I become lazier by the day".
You are missing the point my friend, Cliff and I know each other for a long time and as you could see by his answer he appreciated the humor.
Enjoy your pension.
Thank you.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Hi, please make Prodeo 1.74 REBEL-DOS compatible !

Ed, please don't laugh, but I still use it, love it... I can use it under DOS Box running whatever machine/OS I try!

- Linux Fedora, old Acer Ferrari laptop
- Macbook pro Core-2-Duo, OSX Leopard or Windows 7
- Windows 7 and "not too old" Quad Q6600

It is much easier to emulate DOS than emulate old Windows - at least for me.

I can't export the Rebel-DOS databases from DOS box to the main OS, but I don`t mind, I can anotate the game. Most of my games against Rebel are decided in the endgame. Sometimes I can draw with Rebel 12. If you're going to implement endgame tablebases, I won't have a chance! :-)

Your old customer,
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Rebel wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:It's pretty poor that members have to start personally attacking Ed and questioning his skills as a programmer just because he dared to have a different opinion regarding a recent controversial issue.
Could be and history will judge harsh on him.
On Bob? For telling the truth? For not playing your game? You've got to be fu cking kidding?!
Terry McCracken