#1 engine in 2012

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

which engine will be #1 at december 2012?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Houdini
40%
Critter
25%
Komodo
22%
Rybka
13%
Shredder
1%

Total votes: 88

melajara

Re: #1 engine in 2012

Post by melajara »

lkaufman wrote:
Frank Quisinsky wrote:I didn't like Bobby Fischer for so many reasons too.

In CSS Forum a big thread is available to a Fischer Doku, runs start of this months in TV (channel ARTE).

In my opinion best chess player in chess history is Ivantschuk, perhaps Gulko for some years. Chess player I like are Seirawan, Anand, Miles and Shirov :-) and ... Quisinsky :-)

Best
Must go to work now :-(
Frank
I'm glad you said Gulko, because I beat him in a key game to qualify for US spot in World Senior. That means I beat the best player in the world, if you are right!

Larry

Sorry Larry, but not everybody is aging as well as you or Kortchnoi 8-)
Per ardua ad astra
MM

Post by MM »

Dayffd wrote:Hi Maurizio,

Ummmm...I apologize, but I must disagree with you re. the below:

"Chess history is full of examples of reigning champions that avoid to play a player or another. Alechine for example. He refused in all ways to accept a rematch with Capablanca."

First, Fischer refused to play unless his demands were met and never played again except for the 2nd match with Spassky which had a cloud over it.

Alekhine, otoh, was willing to play Capablanca provided Capablanca agreed to the same demands he required of Alekhine, and I suspect this was one part of the hostility that grew between them. In fact there is this: "Immediately after winning the match, Alekhine announced that he was willing to give Capablanca a return match, on the same terms that Capablanca had required as champion..." As part of this, on Capablanca's death, Dr. Alekhine wrote, "Capablanca was snatched from the chess world much too soon. With his death, we have lost a very great chess genius whose like we shall never see again."

At any rate, Dr. Alekhine played in many tournaments and defended his title against Bogoljubow (sp?) twice, I believe, and against Dr. Euwe where he lost the first time around (alcohol was a factor in this loss according to the accounts I read) and defeated Dr. Euwe in a rematch that was graciously granted by Dr. Euwe.

The situation of Fischer was totally different. Fischer did not play again although prior to winning the world championship he said he would be very active.

(M):"Fischer said: draws don't count. Only wins count. The 1st to reach 10 wins will bring the title. If we arrive 9-9 i will bring the title.

Fide rejected this last thing and he retired (losing a lot of million dollars and the title).

For sure he wasn't scared by Karpov."

Yes indeed, you are so right about the above! :)
But enough of history which generally becomes somewhat shaded over time. I need to get my chess computer back up... :)

Best Regards,

David
Please don't apologize :-). There's no need, it's a fair conversation :-)

As regards the rematch (never happened) between Capablanca and Alekhine, i knew a different story.

I recently read that GM Robert Byrne said that Alechine preferred to play against minor opponents and didn't want to give a rematch to Capablanca on purpose.

I personally believe that Aleckhine was scared, but it's just my opinion.

Anyway Capablanca lost to Alekhine in 1927 and died in 1942...so if Aleckhine really wanted to accept a rematch, he had much time.

Best Regards
MM
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

MM wrote:

"Chess history is full of examples of reigning champions that avoid to play a player or another. Alechine for example. He refused in all ways to accept a rematch with Capablanca."

First, Fischer refused to play unless his demands were met and never played again except for the 2nd match with Spassky which had a cloud over it.

Alekhine, otoh, was willing to play Capablanca provided Capablanca agreed to the same demands he required of Alekhine, and I suspect this was one part of the hostility that grew between them. In fact there is this: "Immediately after winning the match, Alekhine announced that he was willing to give Capablanca a return match, on the same terms that Capablanca had required as champion..." As part of this, on Capablanca's death, Dr. Alekhine wrote, "Capablanca was snatched from the chess world much too soon. With his death, we have lost a very great chess genius whose like we shall never see again."

At any rate, Dr. Alekhine played in many tournaments and defended his title against Bogoljubow (sp?) twice, I believe, and against Dr. Euwe where he lost the first time around (alcohol was a factor in this loss according to the accounts I read) and defeated Dr. Euwe in a rematch that was graciously granted by Dr. Euwe.

The situation of Fischer was totally different. Fischer did not play again although prior to winning the world championship he said he would be very active.

(M):"Fischer said: draws don't count. Only wins count. The 1st to reach 10 wins will bring the title. If we arrive 9-9 i will bring the title.

Fide rejected this last thing and he retired (losing a lot of million dollars and the title).

But enough of history which generally becomes somewhat shaded over time. I need to get my chess computer back up... :)

Best Regards,

David

As regards the rematch (never happened) between Capablanca and Alekhine, i knew a different story.

I recently read that GM Robert Byrne said that Alechine preferred to play against minor opponents and didn't want to give a rematch to Capablanca on purpose.

Anyway Capablanca lost to Alekhine in 1927 and died in 1942...so if Aleckhine really wanted to accept a rematch, he had much time.

Best Regards
It had nothing to do with Alekhine being scared. Alekhine and Capablanca did not like each other. Capablanca made Alekhine jump many hurdle to play a match for the world championship, and Alekhine took it personally. After winning the title, Alekhine was in no mood to do Capablanca any favors....

So Alekhine was rubbing Capablanca nose in it, by playing everyone but Capablanca. Because of Capa's attitude when he was Champion--I am the Champion, and I can set any conditions, and play anyone I want.

Remember there was no Fide, and it was the world Champion that set all the rules, and what sum of money the challenger would pay to play a match.
MM

Post by MM »

mwyoung wrote:
MM wrote:

Best Regards,

David

Best Regards
It had nothing to do with Alekhine being scared. Alekhine and Capablanca did not like each other. Capablanca made Alekhine jump many hurdle to play a match for the world championship, and Alekhine took it personally. After winning the title, Alekhine was in no mood to do Capablanca any favors....

So Alekhine was rubbing Capablanca nose in it, by playing everyone but Capablanca. Because of Capa's attitude when he was Champion--I am the Champion, and I can set any conditions, and play anyone I want.

Remember there was no Fide, and it was the world Champion that set all the rules, and what sum of money the challenger would pay to play a match.
As i said it is my opinion, i hadn't the pleasure to talk to Doctor Alekhine so i don't have any proof, just my feelings.

Regards
MM
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

MM wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
MM wrote:

Best Regards,

David

Best Regards

As i said it is my opinion, i hadn't the pleasure to talk to Doctor Alekhine so i don't have any proof, just my feelings.

Regards
Here is a rare film clip of Capa talking smack about Alekhine....enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKDcZtq7 ... re=related
Last edited by mwyoung on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MM

Post by MM »

mwyoung wrote:
MM wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
MM wrote:

Best Regards,

David

Best Regards

Regards
Here is a rare film clip of Capa taking smack about Alekhine....enjoy

Thank you,

what does Capa say at the end?

Regards
MM
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

MM wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
MM wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
MM wrote:

Best Regards,

David

Best Regards

Regards

Thank you,

Regards
Capa says:

Dr. Alekhine's game is 20% bluff....uh Dr. Euwe's game is clear and straight forward Dr.......end clip
MM

Post by MM »

mwyoung wrote:
MM wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
MM wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
MM wrote:

Best Regards,

David

Best Regards

Regards

Thank you,

Regards
Capa says:

Dr. Alekhine's game is 20% bluff....uh Dr. Euwe's game is clear and straight forward Dr.......end clip
Ah! Thank you :-)

Regards
MM
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

MM wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
MM wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
MM wrote:
mwyoung wrote:
MM wrote:

Best Regards,

David

Best Regards

Regards

Thank you,

Regards
Capa says:

Ah! Thank you :-)

Regards
What is Capablanca saying, what does he mean in his day?.....

As a classical player Capa is insulting Dr. Alekhine's play as mier hucksterism and implying he is a Coffee-House Chess player.

While Dr. Euwe plays in a clear and correct classical style...