Ed Schröder retires from ICGA.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sarciness

Re: Ed Schröder retires from ICGA.

Post by Sarciness »

bob wrote: Ed hasn't competed in a computer chess in 20 years that I can recall. This is the typical "I'm taking my ball and going home" type of action. Not a first, as he left the panel in a huff as well. Everyone has the right to be a member of whatever organizations they want, or not be a member... Doesn't mean a thing in the grand scheme of things.l
Doesn't seem like a kid throwing his toys out of his pram. Dissociating from an organisation and handing back a trophy which was legitimately won seems like he is making a powerful statement, and is even willing to sacrifice something he gained to stand up for what he believed in.

That's how it seems to me anyhow.
dj

Post by dj »

Sarciness wrote:
bob wrote: Ed hasn't competed in a computer chess in 20 years that I can recall. This is the typical "I'm taking my ball and going home" type of action. Not a first, as he left the panel in a huff as well. Everyone has the right to be a member of whatever organizations they want, or not be a member... Doesn't mean a thing in the grand scheme of things.l
Doesn't seem like a kid throwing his toys out of his pram. Dissociating from an organisation and handing back a trophy which was legitimately won seems like he is making a powerful statement, and is even willing to sacrifice something he gained to stand up for what he believed in.

Agreed. I had major differences of opinion with Ed when he was a CTF moderator alongside Whittington, but he does not deserve the pointless jibes offered by some in this thread. I guess Hyatt was particularly upset by the fact that Søren Riis observed how odd it was that Hyatt had posted more than 3,000 times in a four-month period on Rybka, and hence decided to take it out on poor Ed. Riis articulated what I had long felt about the activities of Hyatt.

I remember Enrique Irazoqui writing a couple of years ago that computer chess was dying. Any vestige of life was extinguished by removing the dominant program from the international arena.

Meanwhile I believe strongly that no words are appropriate in this thread other than regret for the departure of a man of integrity who has been a leading light in computer chess for so long.
geots

Post by geots »

dj wrote:
Sarciness wrote:

Agreed. I had major differences of opinion with Ed when he was a CTF moderator alongside Whittington, but he does not deserve the pointless jibes offered by some in this thread. I guess Hyatt was particularly upset by the fact that Søren Riis observed how odd it was that Hyatt had posted more than 3,000 times in a four-month period on Rybka, and hence decided to take it out on poor Ed. Riis articulated what I had long felt about the activities of Hyatt.

I remember Enrique Irazoqui writing a couple of years ago that computer chess was dying. Any vestige of life was extinguished by removing the dominant program from the international arena.

Meanwhile I believe strongly that no words are appropriate in this thread other than regret for the departure of a man of integrity who has been a leading light in computer chess for so long.

I don't care who it is or what it is about, 3000 posts in a 4 month period, even going above 70 in one day- tells me one thing. Doesn't matter who it is- he is trying to divert attention away from something that would put his ass in a sling.

george
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

dj wrote:
Sarciness wrote:

Derek,

I had promised myself to stay out of this thread but this one has a special meaning to me, thank you.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Rebel wrote:
dj wrote:
Sarciness wrote:

Derek,

I had promised myself to stay out of this thread but this one has a special meaning to me, thank you.
Computer Chess is your home Ed. Come hell or high water.
The honors and Trophies you have won you earned.
Good job and keep up the good work.

Best to you,
Gerold.
Leto

Post by Leto »

gerold wrote:
Rebel wrote:
dj wrote:
Sarciness wrote:

Derek,

Computer Chess is your home Ed. Come hell or high water.
The honors and Trophies you have won you earned.
Good job and keep up the good work.

Best to you,
Gerold.
Agreed. *I remember the many hours I spent enjoying the Rebel engine and its interface*
bob

Post by bob »

Sarciness wrote:

An alternative view:

A petulant child that gets angry and says "I will show YOU!" and then breaks his favorite toy that YOU gave him. He REALLY showed YOU didn't he? This is commonly called "cutting your nose off to spite your face..."
bob

Post by bob »

geots wrote:
dj wrote:
Sarciness wrote:

I don't care who it is or what it is about, 3000 posts in a 4 month period, even going above 70 in one day- tells me one thing. Doesn't matter who it is- he is trying to divert attention away from something that would put his ass in a sling.

george
My ass is NOT going to be in a sling. Pure nonsense. BTW, for EVERY post I wrote, there were MULTIPLE prior posts that demanded a rebuttal. I do not reply to EVERY post. I barely reply to one of every ten posted by Jeroen, because his deserve no comment at all for the most part. I think it funny that you and others want to imply I just post and post and post, starting (apparently) new threads, or just following up my own posts with more posts. Not quite the whole truth, is it? And NO BIG SURPRISE either. You, and others, are hardly "paragons of virtue" when it comes to telling the truth, Mr "I speak for Vas except when I get caught and have to retract that."
bob

Post by bob »

dj wrote:
Sarciness wrote:

My comments to Ed are a DIRECT result of his continually posting lies and/or distortions. His web site is one such example.
rebel nonsense web page wrote: Wisdom is knowing how
little we know -- Socrates
About Company
Started in 1980, retired in 2004 REBEL was baptized into ProDeo, latin for gratis according to Dutch tradition.
Other Information

Rybka-ICGA fiasco

* Rybka menu
* Rybka originality
* Rybka fruitification
* The ICGA speaks
* Rule 2
* Opinion poll
* Dann Corbit
* Crafty fruitification
* The notorious PST's
* More unburden stuff
* ICGA resignation

* HOME

The below PST tables were generated with the Fruit and Rybka utilities from Mark Watkins which eventually were released under great pressure. Its source code can be downloaded.

Left column - Fruit PST

Middle column - Rybka PST / 32

Right column - Original Rybka PST values as found in the Rybka 1.0 beta executable

MG - PST in use for middlegame

EG - PST in use for the endgame

Fruit Pawn Value = 100

Rybka Pawn Value = 3200

Hence the Rybka values are divided by 32 for visual comparison in the middle column.

Note that there is only one exact PST match, the ROOK and notice how litte information the cells contain, just 2 values.
The ICGA report CLEARLY states that the Fruit PST initialization can be changed by modifying 3-4 constants per piece type, and that will produce the Rybka PST values EXACTLY.

Ed takes the Rybka PST values, divides by 32, and says "there are no matches." The math is wrong, he knows it is wrong, and he knows we did not say any PST values match.

Those kinds of dishonest statements need to be addressed before they sit around so long they become "fact" rather than the fiction they actually are...
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

bob wrote:
Sarciness wrote:

An alternative view:

A petulant child that gets angry and says "I will show YOU!" and then breaks his favorite toy that YOU gave him. He REALLY showed YOU didn't he? This is commonly called "cutting your nose off to spite your face..."
Next elections (I heard they are soon) I will vote on you. You are such a good mod always showing so much restraint.