Ed Schröder retires from ICGA.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: Ed Schröder retires from ICGA.

Post by Terry McCracken »

Graham Banks wrote:
mclane wrote:this is very bad news.
Yes - a sad day for computer chess.
Particularly disappointing for me though are the further "attacks" on his person by some who should know better.
Some prominent members of our community on both sides of the argument are really showing that they have a pretty ugly side. :(
Ed's attacks on so many other programmers can't be ignored.
Terry McCracken
Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Post by Engin »

why in the hell he do this ?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Engin wrote:why in the hell he do this ?
I guess because he feels so strongly that the ICGA has wronged Vas, that morally he can no longer associate himself with them in any way.
Just a guess because obviously I can't speak for him.

Email to ICGA chairman David Levy

Date : January 5, 2012

Subject : Resignation

CC : Mark Lefler

Dear David,

After seeing the reactions of my former colleagues on the ChessBase article it's now crystal clear to me nothing is going to change.

As I see it the real power is in the hands of the programmers, when they go on strike there is no tournament, the CSVN felt the power of the programmers a couple of months ago, they destroyed two tournaments.

And unfortunately I can not say you are blameless in the latter. You attacked the CSVN in a total unnecessary way in your notorious Attack of the Clones article on ChessVibes later echoed back in the programmers letter to the CSVN. Your motives for that are a mystery to me.

Looking back at the last 6 months and all the bad things that happened I do not want to be associated any longer with the ICGA in any way. Please be so kind to remove all my tournament results including my 2 world titles.

Please inform me where to send the Shannon trophy, it's not longer welcome in my house.

Regards,

Ed Schroder
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

and ICGA is not acting emotionally, by banning and preventing Vas from participating in any important tournaments. Keep in mind, that majority of ICGA panel are Vas competitors, who gain and win a lot by having Vas excluded from important events.
Terry McCracken

Damir wrote:and ICGA is not acting emotionally, by banning and preventing Vas from participating in any important tournaments. Keep in mind, that majority of ICGA panel are Vas competitors, who gain and win a lot by having Vas excluded from important events.

Crap, crap and more crap.

Ken Thompson? Didn't Think So....Tony Marshland? Nope...Fabien?? Really Don't Think So... You guys deserve Vas.
Terry McCracken
Terry McCracken

It's ridiculous. Ed is very mislead.

Graham Banks wrote:
Engin wrote:why in the hell he do this ?
I guess because he feels so strongly that the ICGA has wronged Vas, that morally he can no longer associate himself with them in any way.
Just a guess because obviously I can't speak for him.

Email to ICGA chairman David Levy

Date : January 5, 2012

Subject : Resignation

CC : Mark Lefler

Dear David,

After seeing the reactions of my former colleagues on the ChessBase article it's now crystal clear to me nothing is going to change.

As I see it the real power is in the hands of the programmers, when they go on strike there is no tournament, the CSVN felt the power of the programmers a couple of months ago, they destroyed two tournaments.

And unfortunately I can not say you are blameless in the latter. You attacked the CSVN in a total unnecessary way in your notorious Attack of the Clones article on ChessVibes later echoed back in the programmers letter to the CSVN. Your motives for that are a mystery to me.

Looking back at the last 6 months and all the bad things that happened I do not want to be associated any longer with the ICGA in any way. Please be so kind to remove all my tournament results including my 2 world titles.

Please inform me where to send the Shannon trophy, it's not longer welcome in my house.

Regards,

Ed Schroder
Terry McCracken
geots

Post by geots »

Kingghidorah wrote:

wow! He's a good man, he backs up his words with action. The programmers do have the power. The ICGA is going to shoot themselves in the foot with this one I believe.

Impossible for ICGA to get out of this mess without losing most all of their credibility. Not a big problem, because with the way they handled the Rybka issue, they had little, if any, before Ed left. They made their own bed- time to lie in it.

george
Terry McCracken

geots wrote:
Kingghidorah wrote:

wow! He's a good man, he backs up his words with action. The programmers do have the power. The ICGA is going to shoot themselves in the foot with this one I believe.

Impossible for ICGA to get out of this mess without losing most all of their credibility. Not a big problem, because with the way they handled the Rybka issue, they had little, if any, before Ed left. They made their own bed- time to lie in it.

george
Sure your name isn't Chandler Yergin??
Terry McCracken
bob

Post by bob »

geots wrote:
Kingghidorah wrote:

george
Ed hasn't competed in a computer chess in 20 years that I can recall. This is the typical "I'm taking my ball and going home" type of action. Not a first, as he left the panel in a huff as well. Everyone has the right to be a member of whatever organizations they want, or not be a member... Doesn't mean a thing in the grand scheme of things.l
geots

Post by geots »

geots wrote:
Kingghidorah wrote:

george

Personally, the only way I see for ICGA to survive long term is to openly apologize, then have Levy resign along with Hyatt. Without Levy and Hyatt, the org. might have a chance of being looked at in a favorable light. At least it would go a long way toward making things right.

george