Moron 1.01 Update review

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Moron 1.01 Update review

Post by JuLieN »

As I had everything you need to review this exciting new thing (including the main ingredient : lots of spare time this evening), I decided to give it a try.

What made me decide to buy it was this add:
You definitely want to be part of it! Brilliant advertising!

Ordering Moron:
I must say, ordering Moron was very easy. Never ever have I seen someone as eager to please his customers as Fernando: maybe two minutes only after I had placed my order I could yet see my bank account missing $99! Only two more minutes and Moron was delivered to my email, in a single-worded message: "Moron!!!".

Efficient and fast.

Running Moron:
That's now one hour and a half that I'm staring at this word, "Moron", and can say it's a very robust product: not a single crash up to now!

It's important to notice that nor Houdini nor Critter were able to win a single game against Moron. Really impressive achievement!

You got yourself an happy customer, Fern!

On the plus side:
- Easy to order
- Rapid delivery
- Robust
- easy to install and run
- multi-plateforms: Moron has worked on all the OS and machines I've tried it onto! Impressive!
- Unbeatable!

On the minus side:
- it has a kinda passive style.
- still can't figure what the "!!!" were for.

Rating: 6/10.

Here you can see Fernando repairing his computer between two coding sessions:
This is the computer that gave birth to Moron.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Mithu

Re: Moron 1.01 Update review

Post by Mithu »

JuLieN wrote:As I had everything you need to review this exciting new thing (including the main ingredient : lots of spare time this evening), I decided to give it a try.

What made me decide to buy it was this add:
You definitely want to be part of it! Brilliant advertising!

Ordering Moron:
I must say, ordering Moron was very easy. Never ever have I seen someone as eager to please his customers as Fernando: maybe two minutes only after I had placed my order I could yet see my bank account missing $99! Only two more minutes and Moron was delivered to my email, in a single-worded message: "Moron!!!".

Efficient and fast.

Running Moron:
That's now one hour and a half that I'm staring at this word, "Moron", and can say it's a very robust product: not a single crash up to now!

It's important to notice that nor Houdini nor Critter were able to win a single game against Moron. Really impressive achievement!

You got yourself an happy customer, Fern!

On the plus side:
- Easy to order
- Rapid delivery
- Robust
- easy to install and run
- multi-plateforms: Moron has worked on all the OS and machines I've tried it onto! Impressive!
- Unbeatable!

On the minus side:
- it has a kinda passive style.
- still can't figure what the "!!!" were for.

Rating: 6/10.

Here you can see Fernando repairing his computer between two coding sessions:
This is the computer that gave birth to Moron.
August 1983? You mean Fern's Engine is THAT old? And if that is the case then HE is really OLD. Whew I guess he qualifies for my bucks then!!!

I really don't know why I put those !!! marks here. If you do let me know.
Dr. Axel Schumacher
Location: Cologne-Uppsala-St. Petersburg-Cambridge-Toronto-Munich-Basel

Post by Dr. Axel Schumacher »

Mithu wrote: August 1983? You mean Fern's Engine is THAT old? And if that is the case then HE is really OLD. Whew I guess he qualifies for my bucks then!!!

I really don't know why I put those !!! marks here. If you do let me know.
Yes, Fern is very very old and the development of Moron is already going on for decades. According to Wikipedia, "Moron" was coined in 1910 by psychologist Henry H. Goddard; so Fern was around at this time already. However, it took a long time and hard work by his wife, teachers and the political elite to make this former intelligent boy to the Moron he is now. Of course, the thousands of litres of Chilenian red wine had a big impact in the development process. I strongly recommend spending all your money on this new (old) engine to foster further code development, especially in the field of idiocy, stupidity and "waste of time". I'm eagerly waiting for the much downgraded Moron 2.0, especially the Alzheimer feature, which is not fully implemented yet.

Axel
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five".
Groucho Marx
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

A few questions

-Do we get support for 43 cores and more?
-When will the Cluster Moron be ready for sale?
-Are there any ideas to have a joint venture with the commercial houses?
-Can I become a Cluster Testes? ( I have a lot of computers from my Mathematics part time job - I meant a calculator is also technically a computer... right? and I 'missed the bus' for the normal engine)
-When the time is ripe will you spend your time here telling us about your hard work (bla bla bla, only to vanish when the time is not ripe) and how supporttive the missus was :roll: ?
-How much ahead does your engine see at Zero core settings? ( no I am not a pervert- its just that I want the full info in case I FINALLY decide to give you the moolah).And does it see backwards too?
-How did you get the name Moron? I am sure there is a story connected with some ancient mythology - please entertain us....

Please reply with your answers since my 5 Y.O is waiting with bated breath for the engine. (See the signature of the above post ) :lol:

Edit - I am sure the naughty ones here are going to spot a typo. Naughty naughty - Well if Fern can make soooo many, I can make one right?

Oh and BTW one last question - Had you not been a Chess programmer what would you have chosen to become?
fern

Post by fern »

I will try hard to develop a Moron 2.0 version when aLZheimer gets me, but perhaps I will not remember to do it.
In that case you, probably a companion in the asylum, could tell me. As you are younger, I estimate your fall in idiocy will be somewhat later than mine, so before definitive night takes you in her arms, you can say it to me.

what a heck I was writing about regards?
Fern