Deep Junior 13 Welcome Test

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Re: Deep Junior 13 Welcome Test

Post by Paloma »

where can i download critter1.4a, on vlasak.biz/critter/ not :(
rvida

Post by rvida »

Critter 1.4a - unofficial, and only 64bit sse4
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?w4x1kctds4oa9og

Edit: Next version will be released after Komodo MP
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Hi Timo

I was not able to run netchess games with critter 1.4. Somtimes it worked, sometimes not. I had verry strange happenings with critter... one game critter was shown 25% in taskmanager but had 100% speed. Sometimes it did not load after a game. I recommend using critter + gui on one pc and catch the opponet via netchess.

regards, Clemens
TimoK

Post by TimoK »

Hi Clemens,

thanks for the information. If I experience any more problems with the match Junior vs. Critter I will do what you suggested. Let's hope it will stay stable like in the last few hours. Maybe the combination NetChess+Critter+Fritz-GUI is the real problem. I never had any problems with Critter when testing it in ShredderClassic GUI.

Best regards
Timo
MM

Post by MM »

TimoK wrote:Hi Clemens,

thanks for the information. If I experience any more problems with the match Junior vs. Critter I will do what you suggested. Let's hope it will stay stable like in the last few hours. Maybe the combination NetChess+Critter+Fritz-GUI is the real problem. I never had any problems with Critter when testing it in ShredderClassic GUI.

Best regards
Timo
Hi Timo, thanks for the matches, very interesting.

Pleased that you are using (as far as i can see) a book with only 6 moves. Less theory moves, more precise the evaluation of the strenght of the engines.
Impressive the 0-4 against Stockfish.

Best Regards
MM
MM

Post by MM »

rvida wrote:Critter 1.4a - unofficial, and only 64bit sse4

Hi,

will next version have some elo gain compared to 1.4a? I mean, it will just be an official release of 1.4a or some more (1.4.1, 1.5...?)

Thanks

Regards
MM
Ajedrecista

Details about Critter 1.4a.

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello:
rvida wrote:Critter 1.4a - unofficial, and only 64bit sse4

I have read in RybkaForum about the new release of Critter 1.4a:

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=24291

Eelco de Groot also posts on TalkChess (for example, analysis with own compiles of Stockfish, mainly Rainbow Serpent and Ferrarifish). It surprises me the 'darkness' about 1.4a version; by the way, this is not breaking news because was originally posted by user figyo (Richard Vida) in ImmortalChess Forum, and shortly after, crossposted in Chess2U Forum:

http://immortalchess.net/forum/showpost ... tcount=335

http://www.chess2u.com/t5267-critter-14 ... 4-released
Critter 1.4a - unofficial, unsupported, and only 64bit Sse4 build:

- tweaked SMP implementation
- sligthly decreased Queen value
- time management: try avoiding blunders in sudden death games when in time trouble
- time management: fixed losing on time whith "ponder on" games on opponent's instant reply
- improved pawn blockage detection (3B4/1r2p3/r2p1p2/bkp1P1p1/1p1P1PPp/p1P4P/PP1K4/3B4 w - - 0 1)

No guarantees about being equal/stronger than plain 1.4
The date release was Tuesday 17th January, 2012 (more than three weeks). Thanks to Richard Vida for providing a new release that, by the way, I can not use (I am a dinosaur using 32-bit OS... :oops: ). But Critter 1.4 is enough strong for me.

@Maurizio Maglio:
MM wrote:Hi,

will next version have some elo gain compared to 1.4a? I mean, it will just be an official release of 1.4a or some more (1.4.1, 1.5...?)

Thanks

Regards
I do not expect more official releases of 1.4.x versions (although Richard has the last word, and not me). Regarding the naming scheme of versions:

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ht=#435203
Do not read too much into version numbers. They are quite arbitrary. I made up a scheme where odd numers (1.1, 1.3, ...) are meant to be development versions, even numbers (1.0, 1.2, 1.4, ...) to be public releases.
According with Richard, the current development versions are named 1.5.x, while the next official release (after the launch of Komodo MP) should be Critter 1.6; I also expect a minimum Elo gain of +15 compared with 1.4 version (maybe not much more). Good luck, Richard! And please keep up your good work.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
MM

Re: Details about Critter 1.4a.

Post by MM »

Ajedrecista wrote:
According with Richard, the current development versions are named 1.5.x, while the next official release (after the launch of Komodo MP) should be Critter 1.6; I also expect a minimum Elo gain of +15 compared with 1.4 version (maybe not much more). Good luck, Richard! And please keep up your good work.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Hi, thanks :-)
Do you mean that you expect a minimum of +15 elo but compared to 1.4, to 1.4a (unofficial) or perhaps have i understood bad your statement?

Thank you

Regards
MM
Ajedrecista

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hi Maurizio:
MM wrote:
Ajedrecista wrote:

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Do you mean that you expect a minimum of +15 elo but compared to 1.4, to 1.4a (unofficial) or perhaps have i understood bad your statement?

Thank you

Regards
I referred to 1.4 version (the official one). 1.4 and 1.4a should be of the same strength (1.4a is more less a bugfix of 1.4, see the new features in the descriptions I gave). And this +15 or +20 (in any case I would say than less than +30) is only a rough guess in view of the progression of last versions of Critter (0.9 to 1.0/1.01, 1.01 to 1.2 and 1.2 to 1.4/1.4a). I am not a beta tester of Critter or any other engine (I have not got private info), so please take this guess as a random one.

Keep in mind that +20 at this top level means a lot of non-trivial work on the code, difficult optimizations... (programmers sure know this far better than me).

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
MM

Post by MM »

Ajedrecista wrote:Hi Maurizio:
MM wrote:
Ajedrecista wrote:

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.

Thank you

Regards
I referred to 1.4 version (the official one). 1.4 and 1.4a should be of the same strength (1.4a is more less a bugfix of 1.4, see the new features in the descriptions I gave). And this +15 or +20 (in any case I would say than less than +30) is only a rough guess in view of the progression of last versions of Critter (0.9 to 1.0/1.01, 1.01 to 1.2 and 1.2 to 1.4/1.4a). I am not a beta tester of Critter or any other engine (I have not got private info), so please take this guess as a random one.

Keep in mind that +20 at this top level means a lot of non-trivial work on the code, difficult optimizations... (programmers sure know this far better than me).

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Thank you.

Best Regards
MM