Losing a doctorate degree!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

K I Hyams

Re: If I remember in a correct way......

Post by K I Hyams »

Rebel wrote: http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Fritz+Reul

We are now pleased to announce that Mr Reul has since submitted his program code to the scrutiny of an expert approved by the ICGA tournament committee and that this expert has declared Mr. Reul’s code to be completely above board, with no sign of any copying of code from other known programs. Furthermore Mr. Reul has submitted to the ICGA an apology for what happened in 2003 (see above). The ICGA tournament committee has therefore decided unanimously to lift the suspension on Mr. Reul with immediate effect and to welcome him back for participation in future ICGA events.
London, England

David Levy
The International Computer Games Association (ICGA) has received a formal complaint from Fabien Letouzey, the programmer of FRUIT, regarding the program LOOP. The allegation is that LOOP, which has participated in the World Computer Chess Championship, uses code derived from FRUIT, which placed second at the 2005 World Computer Chess Championship in Reykjavik.
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7926
I wonder whether Fabien Letouzey is embarrassed by this. There are similarities between the reaction of Reul and some of the reactions of Rajlich to the accusations made against them. That fact does not prove anything but It is nevertheless interesting to those who consider that neither displayed the reactions of an innocent man.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Graham Banks wrote:
Rebel wrote:http://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/Fritz+Reul

We are now pleased to announce that Mr Reul has since submitted his program code to the scrutiny of an expert approved by the ICGA tournament committee and that this expert has declared Mr. Reul’s code to be completely above board, with no sign of any copying of code from other known programs. Furthermore Mr. Reul has submitted to the ICGA an apology for what happened in 2003 (see above). The ICGA tournament committee has therefore decided unanimously to lift the suspension on Mr. Reul with immediate effect and to welcome him back for participation in future ICGA events.
London, England

David Levy
I wonder who the expert was?
I hope nobody will say it was me. :shock:
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
diep

Post by diep »

Graham Banks wrote:

London, England

David Levy
At the 2003 world champs Ernst A Heinz had offered himself to meet Fritz Reul at a math congress. Maybe Fritz later accepted that invitation and Ernst cleared him?

I'm not sure though...
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

London, England

David Levy
The expert was Chrilly Donninger. Anyway, it was about List and not Loop and was some years before the version under suspicion arises.

Greets, Thomas
diep

Post by diep »

Thomas Mayer wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

London, England

David Levy
The expert was Chrilly Donninger. Anyway, it was about List and not Loop and was some years before the version under suspicion arises.

Greets, Thomas
List was a stripped crafty and modified a tad. Some like me at that time didn't care much about that - besides that it played very weak and he didn't sell it.

But some other programmers, quite a lot, they were furious about this.

Yet for some reason i got the blame later. The only thing i did do was type for prof v/d Herik. As Erdo operated List, the only way to talk to Fritz Reul was via typing in a terminal at a chess server.

Jaap however is typing in the eagles method. 1 finger swings above the keyboard turns circles and then lands on the keyboard.

I saw that struggle and directly offered my services.
So jaap read the screen and dictated me what to type. That went faster.

Please note that the protest against loop-list wasn't me.

I'm always amazed by this - if there is some suspicious engine, the programmers chat furiously about it - but no one files a protest. It takes for one of them basically first to lose a game from such engine then then get drunk and only then they file a protest.

Instead of already do it BEFORE the event, they wait until like nearly the event is over.

2006 was even worse. The italians were furious about a specific entry. For 3 weeks they have been busy talking about this every day, every chat and with everyone. So much it even reached The Netherlands that anger of those Italians!

But by the time the champs was there, still NO ONE of them had filed a protest.

In the end someone wanted to go fighting in fact during the champs.

This long delay between the gossip and the protest just causes more delay and more angry people. Always the same problem with those nerds, they're big cowards all! Then at a specific point 1 programmer was so furious - even at my terminal in Netherlands those messages reached me - that he was about to explode about this toga clone playing under italian name.

Again big problems there then - whereas this was the most obvious clone ever. Yet realize how long it took the italians to file a protest there.

They all work so indirectly - no one just emails simpy the tournament director: "i want to file a protest because of engine XYZ is a clone", whereas for everyone this was a clear case, yet i bet ICGA can do nothing without someone filing a protest!

Each time same problem you know...
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Thomas Mayer wrote: The expert was Chrilly Donninger. Anyway, it was about List and not Loop and was some years before the version under suspicion arises.
Thomas, do you also know the accuser ?

The close I can get:

One expert said: “LIST was playing out of its skin. We were shocked by some of the great moves it came up with. People started to smell a rat.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... ?print=yes
diep

Post by diep »

Rebel wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote: The expert was Chrilly Donninger. Anyway, it was about List and not Loop and was some years before the version under suspicion arises.

The close I can get:

One expert said: “LIST was playing out of its skin. We were shocked by some of the great moves it came up with. People started to smell a rat.”

It wasn't me, and yes it was a clone, and yes many were angry back then about this. Most programmers always 'handwave' until they lose you know...
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Hi Vincent,
diep wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

London, England

David Levy

Greets, Thomas
List was a stripped crafty and modified a tad. Some like me at that time didn't care much about that - besides that it played very weak and he didn't sell it.
well, according to Chrilly that is not true, at least the version he took a look was original. I don't see a reason why I shouldn't believe him.

Greets, Thomas
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Rebel wrote:

The close I can get:

yes, I remember who was the accuser. It wasn't me and it wasn't Vincent. And I wont say it in public this is really long ago, almost 9 years. In fact in the german forums, when I explained it why List was disqualified (and I still think that they had no other possibility to do so) I was attacked very aggressively by several people. So it was not only Vincent who was blamed for it.

Greets, Thomas
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

diep wrote:
Rebel wrote:

The close I can get:

It wasn't me, and yes it was a clone, and yes many were angry back then about this. Most programmers always 'handwave' until they lose you know...
Please explain yourself.