What are the top opening books available?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Amstaff

What are the top opening books available?

Post by Amstaff »

Both commercial and free. . .just wondering people's thoughts about the strongest books available for chess engines. Not necessarily just for engine-engine testing. . .perhaps also for training a human player.
Gerald
Karol Majewski

Re: What are the top opening books available?

Post by Karol Majewski »

IMHO the best free book is Vesely 1.0. It's about 5 GB, but it's very deep. Zeeman 3.5 is also worth having. There is also Hiarcs book, which is commercial and has good reviews.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Amstaff wrote:Both commercial and free. . .just wondering people's thoughts about the strongest books available for chess engines. Not necessarily just for engine-engine testing. . .perhaps also for training a human player.
Gerald
Once more i'd like to point out (if we are talkinkg about opening books) there is no such saying/termin 'Best' or 'Strongest'
Simply,because the opening theory is changing dramatically fast, daily are appearing stronger moves

My recommendation for the current your question would be that:
Try latest releases,which opening books are belonging to 2012 year and keep/use the book version which you’ve got better results

About using opening books on some well-known servers,
-In my opinion,the authors of newer superior variations,which have been never played before have more chances to be ranked at higher places

Download free books:
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... .pl?bid=25
http://rebornse.niceboard.org/forum

Hope this helps

Best Regards,
Sedat
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Karol Majewski wrote:IMHO the best free book is Vesely 1.0. It's about 5 GB, but it's very deep.
Really ??? probably i missed to see Vesely book's results ?!
And i wonder a lot about who is the author of this best book ?

Is there any proof that Vesely 1.0.ctg is the best book on this planet ?

Just i'd like to mention again:
Actually instead of comments/polls…i prefer independent book tournaments,ratings,standings,games…
Just i’d like to point out that the best way of measuring the book authors’s work is the system by Elo calculation.

Best,
Sedat
Karol Majewski

Post by Karol Majewski »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:
Karol Majewski wrote:IMHO the best free book is Vesely 1.0. It's about 5 GB, but it's very deep.

I do not collect opening books and do not play book tournaments. However, during last months I was making a lot of opening analysis. In the end, I was checking my conclusions with various books (Sheebar, Phantom, Zeeman etc.). At one point I noticed that Vesely is the only book that stores many of the lines that I was analysing. And I don't care about who the autor is.

Besides, this is just my opinion - based on my experience. Perhaps there are a lot of better/deeper/wider books, which I haven't heard of.
Sedat Canbaz wrote: Just i'd like to mention again:
Actually instead of comments/polls…i prefer independent book tournaments,ratings,standings,games…
Just i’d like to point out that the best way of measuring the book authors’s work is the system by Elo calculation.

Best,
Sedat
Actually, you are not the author of this topic. It was Gerald who was asking about people's thoughts.
Amstaff

Post by Amstaff »

Yes, thank you Sedat, I should have said the most current up-to-date, with maybe some interesting novelties, etc.
I will look at the ones you suggest.
Best wishes,
Gerald
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Karol Majewski wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote:

I do not collect opening books and do not play book tournaments. However, during last months I was making a lot of opening analysis. In the end, I was checking my conclusions with various books (Sheebar, Phantom, Zeeman etc.). At one point I noticed that Vesely is the only book that stores many of the lines that I was analysing. And I don't care about who the autor is.

Besides, this is just my opinion - based on my experience. Perhaps there are a lot of better/deeper/wider books, which I haven't heard of.
Sedat Canbaz wrote: Just i'd like to mention again:

Best,
Sedat
Actually, you are not the author of this topic. It was Gerald who was asking about people's thoughts.
Sure i respect your opinion,but however i have different point of view (not like yours)

And sorry...sometimes its not my hands,when i see a such funny comments 'best book'- without any proof of data (games)

Note also that many times some very strong micro books performed better than many giant books (i mean deeper books do not mean 'the best ')

Of course i am so thankful for the efforts of all Book Authors,who release free books to public

And there is no doubt that many chess friends benefit from their great work

And from my experience i can say that almost all (more than 90 %) available opening books are optimized for playing eng vs eng matches

One thing more, probably i tested nearly 1000 books and so far i could not find the world strongest or best book

More Details:
http://www.sedatcanbaz.com/chess/downlo ... 011-books/
For example,approx.5-6 years ago (before SCCT/Playchess ratings),it was very hard to estimate about who are
the strongest book creators,but now we have a lot sources…
And especially the latest SCCT/Playchess/Testo/Pionerchess/RPC sources become very good indicator about who are ‘best book makers’
As we see,in almost all rankings there are different winners,that means the super strong book creators are changing periodically.
*That’s why its very hard to guess who will be the next winner,in other words: – Nobody (no any Book Author) is Best !
But however with respect to all,some of the top book makers often perform at one of the highest places.
And i am not going to start counting the strongest book creators,because i am afraid to not mention/miss some names :)

Btw,the world's strongest books are private and the bellow data is a good indicator about who are the Top Book Makers:

SCCT Book Super League I:
http://www.sedatcanbaz.com/chess/scct-super-league/

Playchess July-December 2011
http://www.sedatcanbaz.com/chess/july-december-2011/

SCCT IX Book Tournament:
http://www.sedatcanbaz.com/chess/scct-ix-standings/

Best,
Sedat