$8000 to spend. 2 x E5-2687W, 16 real cores, 64Gb RAM

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dan Honeycutt

Re: $8000 to spend. 2 x E5-2687W, 16 real cores, 64Gb RAM

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

geots wrote:Because whoever thought up Windows 7 should be chained to a stovepipe in hell.
You must be snakebit, George. I've had good luck with Win 7.

Best
Dan H.
Dragulic

Post by Dragulic »

NATIONAL12 wrote:I am waiting for Ivy Bridge,end of year and hope intel will allow O/C with those cpu's.
For a clarification, could you explain that you mean XEON based on Ivy Bridge, and not standard Ivy Bridge which is detailed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge ... tecture%29 ?

I am asking this because in that table "K" = Unlocked Multiplier, and there are two Ivy Bridge "K" CPUs already announced, including the 4 core i7-3770K which is 3.5GHz/3.9GHz(Turbo), probably o/c to 4.8GHz. There are some typos in that table, better is http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/2011 ... rt_II.html

But I and (I think, am I correct) you are only interested in dual socket, which means XEON. And for this, XEON 22nm, there is no announcement at all?
geots

Post by geots »

Dan Honeycutt wrote:
geots wrote:Because whoever thought up Windows 7 should be chained to a stovepipe in hell.
You must be snakebit, George. I've had good luck with Win 7.

Best
Dan H.

Dan, I gotta get some sleep, so it will be a while before I am back- but I would love to know about the vision issue. I was saying it gives you 100%, 125, and 150 as overall vision settings. Default is 100%. I got as good vision as one could want, and it would take a photog's loupe to read anything set on 100%. But if I don't leave it there, Chessmaster won't fit right- it cuts off the top. I have the resolution at maximum for my monitor- the one recommended. I have tried changing it, however and the letter size- anything trying to find a good combination. All I can say is I had my old 1cpu xp box running on this new monitor, which is a 23" Dell WS, and of course there the resolution was different- but I had not one problem. I may try my old, basically square LCD 19" and see if that helps. If I could just get what I see on the screen to look right- I don't mind trying to solve any other Win7 issues. It has got me pulling my friggin hair out.

There is not one doubt in my mind- if you were sitting here next to me- looking at what I see- you could fix the problem. There is just no way to help me in talking back and forth in threads. I gotta see if I can find a hand full of xanax.

Best,

george
acase
Full name: Andrew R Case

Post by acase »

Dragulic wrote:First, may I introduce myself to this learned and distinguished forum? I am a research engineer with limited brains but still more limited money to spend on my hobby of Chess and Go.

So to my question. For chess research and other, gp uses, I am now ready to spend $8k on a Windows PC, now. I plan (all parts are shipping already):

:lol: :lol: :lol: $8000 doesn't sound very "limited" to me (especially for chess). Perhaps you need something that powerful for your engineering work. :wink:
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

geots wrote:
Dragulic wrote:First, may I introduce myself to this learned and distinguished forum? I am a research engineer with limited brains but still more limited money to spend on my hobby of Chess and Go.

So to my question. For chess research and other, gp uses, I am now ready to spend $8k on a Windows PC, now. I plan (all parts are shipping already):

2 x E5-2687W Intel Sandy Bridge Xeon S2011 CPUs. 8 Real Cores per CPU. Here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeo ... ,3149.html is the review. It will run all 16 cores at 3.4GHz in turbo mode, even before overclocking. Today many top engines are not so good above 4 cores, but soon this can change.

64Gb Corsair PC3-12800 (1.6GHz) DDR3 Quad Channel RAM (4 x 16Gb). This gives 4Gb per real core. Ideal?

SuperMicro X9DAi motherboard with SATA III 6Gb/s, PCI-E 3.0. Here http://www.supermicro.com/products/moth ... /X9DAi.cfm are the specification.

SSD HDD for fast EGTB access, capacity to be researched but I think 0.3Tb is enough, I can move needed EGTBs from main HDD as needed. Big SSD/array are still too expensive.

Top-end air-cooling. Or?

Rest can be obvious, Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate (8 will be bad, microsoft alternation good-bad-good-bad-), very fine 0.9kW modular PSU, some cr-p graphics card for kids, 3Gb 120Hz Barracuda HDD...

I would like commentaries, critiques and recommendations. E5-2687W looks like the real winner, but you may have more information? AMD quad CPU each 4/6-core? What chess and overclock speeds can I expect? Is there a better mobo for overclocking? Is RAM chosen a bottleneck? Other understanding error by me? Anyone else already got similar system? I can see one kburcham was considering this: http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41204. A Sedat Canbaz benchmark yet? Help!

TU, friends.......

Glad to hear that microsoft alternates good-bad-good-bad! If that is true, then the next operating system is destined to be the best thing to ever hit the face of the earth.

Because whoever thought up Windows 7 should be chained to a stovepipe in hell.
Win 8 is Win 7 with a different interface.
Terry McCracken
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Dragulic wrote:
geots wrote: Glad to hear that microsoft alternates good-bad-good-bad!
Yes, but you may be out of sync? Good/Bad are relative.

Taking mainstream (so, no NT or 2000):
Win 1/2/3... All bad, did not even work
Win 3.1/3.11... Good
Win 95... Bad
Win 98/SE... Good
Win Millennium... Bad
Win XP... Good
Win Vista... Bad
Win 7... Good, surely much better then Vista
Win 8... :(
Yep,it was about time for a bad release :lol:

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Terry McCracken

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Dragulic wrote:

Win 3.1/3.11... Good
Win 95... Bad
Win 98/SE... Good
Win Millennium... Bad
Win XP... Good
Win Vista... Bad

They're like Star Trek movies. :)
Terry McCracken
Dragulic

Post by Dragulic »

acase wrote:$8000 doesn't sound very "limited"
It is very limited, relative to size of one worldwide derivatives market, sized in 2010 @ $1,200,000,000,000,000.00 (one thousand two hundred trillion dollars). http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/06/09/ ... market-gdp

In crazy world, only Go make sense. Chess is more sinister then Go, but still make more sense then world.
Terry McCracken wrote:Win 8 is Win 7 with a different interface.
Then, it can be Win 8 is good. Next one will be bad.

But, where this leaves my quest for the chess research rig? 2 x X5690 or 2 x X5680 will defeat all released unoverclockable E5s.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Dragulic wrote:

Win 3.1/3.11... Good
Win 95... Bad
Win 98/SE... Good
Win Millennium... Bad
Win XP... Good
Win Vista... Bad

They're like Star Trek movies. :)
Absolutely Terry :lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Terry McCracken

Dragulic wrote:
acase wrote:$8000 doesn't sound very "limited"
It is very limited, relative to size of one worldwide derivatives market, sized in 2010 @ $1,200,000,000,000,000.00 (one thousand two hundred trillion dollars). http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/06/09/ ... market-gdp

In crazy world, only Go make sense. Chess is more sinister then Go, but still make more sense then world.
Terry McCracken wrote:Win 8 is Win 7 with a different interface.
Then, it can be Win 8 is good. Next one will be bad.

But, where this leaves my quest for the chess research rig? 2 x X5690 or 2 x X5680 will defeat all released unoverclockable E5s.
It is, but...for most of us the interface sucks! How to ruin a good thing?
Terry McCracken