Antivirus recommendations

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

RoadWarrior

Re: Antivirus recommendations

Post by RoadWarrior »

gerold wrote:
ATOMICC wrote:
Kempelen wrote:
Houdini wrote:Microsoft Security Essentials.
Free, non-intrusive, reliable, updates automatically with Windows.
+1. I have good experiences with it.
+2. Ditto.
+3.

I did use Avast for a long time . Had problems with some of the updates. Switched to AVG. It started giving trouble also. So now back to
Microsoft Security Essentials which works very well so far.
+4 as long as you have Windows XP SP3 or higher. Whatever AV you use, consider white-listing programs (such as chess engines) that you know are okay. Not only is the white-list convenient, it can also reduce chess engine start-up time.

I run MSE on most of my home network, Windows Defender on 1 machine where I haven't bothered installing MSE, and no AV on my ancient Windows XP machine.
There are two types of people in the world: Avoid them both.
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Comodo antivirus is really nice and free. I was using MSE but it allowed some trojans through. Comodo has been rock solid and a has much better detection.
PawnStormZ

Antivirus recommendations

Post by PawnStormZ »

I have used the Comodo free version for a long time without any problems, and since it comes with a very strong and configureable firewall too, so much the better!

Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

I just started using SuperAntiSpyware, free edition. So far, so good.
bob

Post by bob »

tmokonen wrote:Hi all. I know this is a bit off topic but....

I have been using Avast! for a number of years now, but the latest updates have turned this program into a false positive monster. It wants to "auto sandbox" a good number of chess programs that I have tried. What turned the tide for me was that it detected my own engine as "suspicious", which is absolutely ridiculous, since my engine's I/O capabilities are limited to reading files.

Any recommendations?
Yes. Switch to Linux. Problem solved once and forever.

:)
Mark Mason

Post by Mark Mason »

PawnStormZ wrote:  
               I have used the Comodo free version for a long time without any problems, and since it comes with a very strong and configureable firewall too, so much the better!

I would fully support this. I have tried most of the anti virus offerings and have found Comodo Internet Security the best. It has great user interface, updates are fast, protection is very good, it has an auto "sandbox" so that any potentially suspect files are sandboxed so they can be run safely - and it's free !

Download from:

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-sec ... curity.php?
Kingghidorah

Post by Kingghidorah »

I have used Kasperskys in the past,Norton,AVG until it let a virus through. Been using Avast for sometime now, very happy with it. Along with Comodo Firewall.
En passant,

Lonnie

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

Harvey Fierstein